SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Anyone know what the deal is with the plot on the corner of S Blvd and Kingston, across the street from the Office Space?  It's been an abandoned pawn shop or something for what seems like years.  Seems like a primo spot for development, surprised nothing has happened on it yet.

Actually, also, the Brakes 4 Less spot a block north.  Is that place busy enough to justify its location?

Edited by ah59396

Surprised this hasn't been posted before but there is a rezoning for the attached property. I've reached out to the petitioner to try to get more info. They are seeking TOD-M so that would be interesting. Hopefully We see them save the historic structure on the site, and bulldoze the other building.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.212625,-80.856754,3a,75y,273.5h,69.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg_a2G9X4Uk3ugsvm4y65Dg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Hopefully We see them save the historic structure on the site, and bulldoze the other building.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.212625,-80.856754,3a,75y,273.5h,69.32t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sg_a2G9X4Uk3ugsvm4y65Dg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I wouldn't hold your breath. Bet both get bulldozed for an inspiring Charlotte beige structure.

The rezoning is for the long two story brick building, not the shuttered convenience store and prosthetics supplier.

excellent! While its an interesting archetectural salvage / refinishing / antiques sort of business in there, it is has been a glaring underutilization of space for a while. Its a solid building, with interesting access from the rail trail, but no visibility from South blvd. 

Its size makes it well suited for medium-box retail (e.g. urban outfitters), but its visibilty will preclude that. Its a good high end boutique hotel site. Might be too parking constrained for a large restrauant. Might be a good spot for a combined restrauant and relocated Common Market.

excellent! While its an interesting archetectural salvage / refinishing / antiques sort of business in there, it is has been a glaring underutilization of space for a while. Its a solid building, with interesting access from the rail trail, but no visibility from South blvd. 

Its size makes it well suited for medium-box retail (e.g. urban outfitters), but its visibilty will preclude that. Its a good high end boutique hotel site. Might be too parking constrained for a large restrauant. Might be a good spot for a combined restrauant and relocated Common Market.

Also a great place to get bulldozed for a Quik Trip. You can't have enough of those... Luckily its being rezoned TOD-M so good things should be to come.

and relocated Common Market.

Has this rumor been substantiated in any way? I didn't think it had and I have a very hard time believing it comes to pass anytime soon, and think I'd be hearing some major outcry if it were reputable in any way. I'll try to ask Chuck next time I see him there, as I really want it either put to rest or the revolt started!

Has this rumor been substantiated in any way? I didn't think it had and I have a very hard time believing it comes to pass anytime soon, and think I'd be hearing some major outcry if it were reputable in any way. I'll try to ask Chuck next time I see him there, as I really want it either put to rest or the revolt started!

Some reliable people have corroborated with Kermits story about this block. There is something happening with everything except the corner building. There just isn't a definite timeline and I don't think Chuck has been informed of any of what's going on. 

Some reliable people have corroborated with Kermits story about this block. There is something happening with everything except the corner building. There just isn't a definite timeline and I don't think Chuck has been informed of any of what's going on. 

I've now heard it from a handful of reliable sources too, so I don't think it's just coincidence or a rumor that has spread like wild fire. 

I think you're talking about Crossland Studios, which runs along the rail trail parallel to the light rail. The piece being rezoned is at 1700 South Blvd which is at the corner of South & kingston and it will be scraped and used as parking for the existing 19,000 square foot building at 1708 South Blvd. They are rezoning since TOD has lesser parking minimums and setbacks/sideyard requirements that they otherwise would not be in compliance with if they stayed at B-1. I don't know that they have a deal signed yet, but the ground level will be retail and second level office. 

Seems like 2inthePink has something to worry about...

This is a rendering of what is proposed for the Simpson Lighting property at Carson and South.

I think its Wunderbar as far as massing goes....best of all it hides Camden South End from South Blvd. Hopefully the execution of the exterior facades will not disappoint. I'm eager to see what Steve Harris comes up with after leaving the shackles of suburban thinking.

SimpsonsWeb3.jpg

first post on this thread...

I keep getting unsolicited letters expressing interest in purchasing my property.  Is this normal in Charlotte, or am I just getting these letters because I'm adjacent to commercial property and within a quarter mile of a light rail station?  If somebody consolidated the properties on 1) South Blvd: Chick-Fil-A, Burger King, Bell Acres "Country Club," and 2) the single family homes in Sedgefield adjacent to those properties, they would put together almost five acres of property within the TOD zone of New Bern Station.  I wonder if that's what somebody is trying to do, or if it's a few two-bits trying to collect these properties in anticipation of a big commercial buyer coming up later.  It seems like it would be easier to buy the Pepsi warehouse or some of the light industrial property west of New Bern Station.

^ Its not an effort at an assembly. Its just a standard part of owning property in Dilworth or Sedgefield (and probably a few other hoods too). Its usually just small-time investors hoping to stumble across someone who is thinking about listing and they hope to snag a property at a low-ball price. I have a rental about two blocks away from you (on Greystone) and have gotten three letters this year.

Edited by kermit