SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

It totally makes sense. The Common Market courtyard is only the nicest space we have in the city. But wouldn't a nice lobby be even better?

Yep, ahead of the DNC it was the centerpiece of the promotional video the city did on "third spaces" and how vital they are to a city's culture. But we make absolutely zero effort to save them if the land gets too valuable. 

• Like 1

It totally makes sense. The Common Market courtyard is only the nicest space we have in the city. But wouldn't a nice lobby be even better?

Yep, ahead of the DNC it was the centerpiece of the promotional video the city did on "third spaces" and how vital they are to a city's culture. But we make absolutely zero effort to save them if the land gets too valuable. 

I'm not really sure what you're realistically advocating here. Are you mad at the people who own Common Market for not going to a bank, getting a loan and building their own space so they control it?

I'm not really sure what you're realistically advocating here. Are you mad at the people who own Common Market for not going to a bank, getting a loan and building their own space so they control it?

he's mad at the city for promoting this place just 3 years ago and now just letting it get dumped in the trash with the rest of Charlotte's character.

So, this is the first tim I've seen speicif #'s attached, but yes, bac when Edens bought the propety (~10 years ago maybe), there were rumors at they would demolish those buildings for a more denser develoment.   I believe, pre-crises, there was a condo tower in the mix, though I never saw renderings.  If I'm not mistaken, part of this property has UMUD zoning, allowing high-rise development.

Got this coming through the rumor mill. Anyone know anything or have heard similar?

icehouse, pure gym, bank, and furniture store are all being torn down for 65,000 sq ft of retail, 455,000 sq ft of apts abd 80,000 sq ft of office?

Not a rumor. Edens actually presented their plans at a recent South End forum. ARA is working on finding an apartment partner and DTZ is working on the office. Nothing locked in yet, but it's in process for sure.  Bank and By Design are going away too. Lots of retailers wanting to be here - J. Crew, etc. They have a solid restaurant concept out of Charleston taking the Ferguson space too. 

Edited by Prodev
  • Like 1

Got this coming through the rumor mill. Anyone know anything or have heard similar?

icehouse, pure gym, bank, and furniture store are all being torn down for 65,000 sq ft of retail, 455,000 sq ft of apts abd 80,000 sq ft of office?

Between this and the food truck lotx rumor I'm in the same camp as our friend above who said F*CK THAT.

I should revise and say I'm indifferent about the bank/By Design.  But rather the old mill part.  Any idea if the market is included?  I'm guessing it is since they'll go all the way down to Pure

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

Between this and the food truck lotx rumor I'm in the same camp as our friend above who said F*CK THAT.

I should revise and say I'm indifferent about the bank/By Design.  But rather the old mill part.  Any idea if the market is included?  I'm guessing it is since they'll go all the way down to Pure

A lot of the market is protected. I am all for this project

The building that Anthropologie is in is historic, as is the live/work condos where the smoke stack is, so they're both staying. I have no issue with the outparcels and the Icehouse building going away.

• Like 2

This is probably a dumb question, but are all the buildings on this block going to be torn down, or just the Common Market building?  I guess it was just a matter of time before this block got redeveloped, but it sure is a shame to lose buildings and businesses that give the neighborhood character because they are not the 'highest and best' uses of the land.

The building that Anthropologie is in is historic, as is the live/work condos where the smoke stack is, so they're both staying. I have no issue with the outparcels and the Icehouse building going away.

Thanks guys.  That helps calm me down a bit.  Didn't know too much about the Icehouse building but always assumed it was as old/historic as the rest of the mill.

That'll be nice added density and just fuel the need for a Publix blue line stop further. 

The bank, Ferguson's, and some of the individual vendors inside the mill building have all been there longer than Icehouse.  Pre Icehouse it was Woods on South, then Southend Brewery.  Southend Brewery was very long lived, and was a microbrew pub before the concept of microbrew was cool.   Though it had a pretty "Rock Bottom Brewery vibe", it attracted quite a bit of local celebrity talent, of which they would do charicatures of and hang on the wall.  The bank used to be a furniture store, and previous to that was a upscale-ish southern diner (mid to late 90's).  Anyone have help on that name?  I was thinking Cotton Creek Diner, but not finding any reference to that on the Googler.

Edit: Cotton Street Diner.  Here is a link to a picture.

http://dev.shookkelley.com/work-detail/30

Edited by atlrvr
  • Like 1

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%202.54.2

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%202.54.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%202.54.1

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-08%20at%202.54.2

Youngblood Towns have a face. Its not the best, not the worst, but we have another reason for there to be a pedestrian crossing as we get at least 100 or so more residences on that side of the track.

Where are these being built? Any developer website?