SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Well there were actually 6 originally, 1 fell and two were taken down, so no I don't think the one that fell was ever part of the design.

There were originally 8 silos. The one that fell on the tracks was a contractors mistake as it was being taken down. In total 5 were removed. Only the 3 were ever planned to have art on them.

Yeah they were planning on taking it down anyway... it just fell the wrong way.

I really don't see any difference between what 3030 South wants to do and the numerous access controlled gates in residential parking structures through out downtown.

The difference is going to be whether or not New Bern Station Court is a public or private street. I don't see the city allowing gated access to a public street. I personally hate to see any street gated off- public or private. If someone wants to break into you car or your house bad enough, a gate won't stop them.

It's not a valid UPC. It doesn't have a valid check digit to sequence of numbers. If you're interested in how UPC numbers are created (because they aren't random numbers but error checking sequences) you can see here :good:

It's off topic, but this entire system as well as the first checkout machines which were refrigerator sized, were invented in NC in the early 1970s.

The difference is going to be whether or not New Bern Station Court is a public or private street. I don't see the city allowing gated access to a public street. I personally hate to see any street gated off- public or private. If someone wants to break into you car or your house bad enough, a gate won't stop them.

I don't think they were talking about wrapping a gate around the entire complex like that. I believe the gates would occur at the three parking lot entrances - 2 off South and then the entrance off New Bern Station Court. The townhomes along both roads would still be accessible from the sidewalk. That's my understanding, anyway.

Word on the street -- Atrium Park Avenue / Park Avenue Plaza is now dead, ain't happenin'.

Just looked at the website... only 5 of the 41 units had contracts? Wow... if accurate.

Still seems like a great location. I'm sure that spot will be one of the first developed during the next upswing.

South @ Remount seems to have gone into high gear. SouthHaus has lined its fencing with promotional signage, and demolition efforts on both side of Remount are starting to clear the other miscellaneous piles and building slabs. Combined with the new art going up on the Silos, this area seems poised to really catch fire in a way that we haven't seen anywhere else.

Got to tour Ashton Southend this afternoon. The project supervisor took a group from the firm I work for inside and showed us everything from the ground floor to the rebar up top. The building is single use (no retail) but is loaded with amenities. It has a private movie theatre, office conference space, function space complete with kitchen and of course a workout space. They will be landscaping the rail-side from the building to the rail, hopefully setting the standard for how future developments deal with that edge. There will also be a pool on the roof.

They hope to be moving people into the lower floors by spring of next year and be fully finished by the following fall.

Mock up wall.

2008_07_09_ashton01.jpg

Main entry space.

2008_07_09_ashton02.jpg

Shoring on the 7th floor.

2008_07_09_ashton03.jpg

Equipment on 10th floor.

2008_07_09_ashton04.jpg

Looking into courtyard.

2008_07_09_ashton05.jpg

Top level of parking deck. There will be a building amenity space here above this top level.

2008_07_09_ashton06.jpg

Atherton and Southborough

2008_07_09_ashton07.jpg

View from the 10th floor. Spectacular.

2008_07_09_ashton08.jpg

Edited by Mugen682

Incredible pictures! I had no clue that the view of uptown was that.... nice!

I'm concerned when you say that it will be single used, though. All plans up until you saying that its single has had I believe 10k-15k sqft of retail in one corner of the ground floor.

Edited by Andyc545

^Yep, no retail. The only public entity in the building will be the leasing office. That corner at the end of Tremont could have been a great spot for some retail for sure. If you look carefully at the ground floor next time you go by, you'll notice that it is roughly 1-2' above the street/track level on all the public edges. That isn't the signature of ground floor retail.

Having just read the Observer article about the pink people losing their view, I can now say that I side with the developers of the Simpson property. From my house I did have a distant shot of the uptown skyline, but trees on neighboring properties now block the view. Should I complain that they be removed? Noway. Skyline shots are dynamic and always changing, and when you put all of your investment in things you have little control over, you take that risk. I do feel sorry for all the condo owners downtown though that risk losing their spectacular view of the most incredible pink box ever constructed.

I like the pink building. Always have. It adds a great dash of color to a skyline that is much too corporate gray. Hopefully, future towers will also have a variety of colors. I can understand the frustration of residents but there was no ironclad guarantee of their view being preserved.

I presume the owners of the Arlington initiated the article, but I felt the writer didn't necessarily empathize with them. The city's response made it pretty clear that they weren't concerned what-so-ever. This project will get rezoned with little regard to its impact on the Arlington.

It's an interesting law about the protest petition, and the need for 100% of owners to sign or for the HOA to initiate the petition.

I don't think the residents of the Arlington have any standing in NC Law to do much about it except go for a political solution.

And the political solution isn't going to happen because 1. no big names (apparently) are affected, and 2. there is still a lot of resentment by the Charlotte establishment against the developer of The Arlington.

I personally don't care much for them since the day they stole my photo off UrbanPlanet and used it in their sales brochure without permission or even credit.

This happens (losing a view or a change in something that someone likes somewhere) every day all the time. I still can't believe agents or anyone alluded to buyers at The Arlington that their view would remain forever. As long as the redevelopment of South Blvd has been going on, especially since the city allowed The Arlington to go as high as it did, everyone I know has been expecting a new skyline along South. No one thought the Pink would stand alone. I certainly feel for those that bought those great views, I really do, but to have the expectation that nothing in the many blocks between those views and the city itself would come along and block them?

Personal feelings aside, this is exactly the type of corridor where denser, and higher, development should occur. It is surrounded by the light rail, it's a busy road, there are commercial and multi-family properies all around it.

The arguement of 'loss of value' will be very hard to prove. One could argue, and I'm sure the developer will, that adding amenities nearby like retail, commercial, and restaurants, will add value in a different way to offset the loss of value for the views. Both sides can easily prove their point with different projects and developments around town so it will become a moot point.

I was surprised that the Arlington HOA has not acted. This would seem to be a simple decision for them to make that would enact the Protest Petition. Maybe there is some internal politics going on at Arlington that is preventing that decision from happening.

I wouldn't be surprised if those on all three other sides that aren't affected aren't so upset about this as those on the side that is. I can't say for sure, but friends I have in Factory South are happy about this -- they want the retail and restaurant space that is part of the new project and their views aren't affected -- perhaps some in The Arlington feel the same way if they have no loss of view.

I laughed when I read the article this morning. The people posing the photo looked like they were about to be kicked out onto the street and their dog killed, rather then losing their view in a luxury condo. This is a joke. There is no legally binding height restriction. Development happens. My father once told me, before you buy on a view, always know what can rise in front of it. There were never any real restrictions, just guidelines, which mean nothing.

Build it, I love the idea of a decent urban corridor flowing into downtown.

The condo owner in the article stated "I only bought here for the view, there's no other reason to buy here." wow.....I mean...come on! Are you REALLY going to buy a house or condo just because of the view that you have out your window is pretty? That's the ONLY reason he bought there? Talk about a waste of money.....if a terrorist attacked Charlotte and blew up all the buildings uptown.....would his view still be worth money?