SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

FYI

70% of all unit owners at the Arlington signed the protest petition.

(Anyone who ever belonged to an HOA should be amazed by that %.)

The HOA board did support it and continues to support the protest completely.

That's really not much of anything. It usually written into HOA bylaws that it takes anywhere from 75%-90% of homeowners to do anything and if you have a good cheerleader which it seems that you are (and the couple pictured in the article if they aren't you) it isn't really that difficult.

How many people actually live in the Arlington? How many total units are there?

FYI

70% of all unit owners at the Arlington signed the protest petition.

(Anyone who ever belonged to an HOA should be amazed by that %.)

The HOA board did support it and continues to support the protest completely.

Not to be a smartass, but how many people is that, exactly? It looks like about 20 people might live there based on the number of units that appear to be lit up at night.

Hey everyone,

My name is Zach Northington and I am the artist who did the picture of the girl's face with the blue eye at The Silos at Southend. I am very glad to hear that many of you like my artwork, but I am also disappointed to hear that some of you think it is plagiarized.

A few weeks ago I was contacted by a Charlotte Observer reader who accused me of the same thing. I sent him a response explaining how my picture is not plagiarized. After reading some of the comments on this thread, I thought I would post a part of my response to the Observer reader to clear things up.

Here was my response:

I do agree that my picture uses an idea that is portrayed in the book Jennifer Government, but the pictures are very different. My picture uses a tight shot of the whole side of a face, where as the cover of the book is a close up shot of a girl's upper cheek/ eye. My picture is shot straight on, and the cover of of book's picture is shot at an angle with the eye looking upward. Finally my picture is much darker then the cover of Jennifer Government. Mine uses darker colors in the background, skin, and even the eye. The only thing my picture has in common with the cover of Jennifer Government is the use of a barcode, which I thought up myself.

I had never even heard of the book Jennifer Government when I made my picture, let alone seen its cover. My picture was made in October of 2007 and I first heard about Jennifer Government only a few months ago, well after my picture was recommended to Mr. Crawford for the Silos at Southend project.

I was not only influenced by 1984, but by a number of other books, including Brave New World, and a book called Neuromancer by William Gibson. Therefore, my picture does not reflect any one book, but the mood and themes in many books.

Anyways, thank you all for the feedback. I am very excited to see the project when it is all done.

-Zach

Not to be a smartass, but how many people is that, exactly? It looks like about 20 people might live there based on the number of units that appear to be lit up at night.

Sounds to me like a good argument to prevent constructing more if the demand for the current is as low as you imply.

-Scott

swh1972 - It would be an interesting situation for Jim Gross in regards to voting the remaining unit share. On one hand, it could diminish the value of the remaining unit (though I'm not sure they have any skyline view ones left). Conversley, the political ill will that it would create would all but assure that he would never get another rezoning approved (tough as it would be today). All that said, he was paid his developer fee long ago, and isn't hurting for cash.

RivermasterNC - I'm not sure we want to go down the road of politicians makins assumptions about the level of risk that private investors should tolerate. Regardless, Harris' development doesn't have any for-sale residential units, so The Arlington isn't a healthy barometer.

RivermasterNC - I'm not sure we want to go down the road of politicians makins assumptions about the level of risk that private investors should tolerate. Regardless, Harris' development doesn't have any for-sale residential units, so The Arlington isn't a healthy barometer.

Agreed. Guess I did not make my point that I also believe the occupancy (20 people??) of the Arlington is not as dire as implied.

It's not a condo project but I was not sure where else to plop this since it's will draw nearby residents of said projects...Common Market is opening a store in Southend :yahoo: Will be open this fall. I heard it's going to be right across from the Bland St. light rail stop. A great local, funky addition to Southend. Laurel Market South occupies a similar niche but I think there is more than enough traffic to support two great independent hangouts.

It's not a condo project but I was not sure where else to plop this since it's will draw nearby residents of said projects...Common Market is opening a store in Southend :yahoo: Will be open this fall. I heard it's going to be right across from the Bland St. light rail stop. A great local, funky addition to Southend. Laurel Market South occupies a similar niche but I think there is more than enough traffic to support two great independent hangouts.

Ohhh very nice. I wonder if it's going in where Zoe's Elf was. Also - and I say this being a happy regular at LMS - I don't think Laurel can really qualify as a hangout. That implies that there's room to... well, hangout.

Interesting. The argument was raised that the South End Transit Station Area Plan is not a legally binding document... but the zoning that was formed after the adoption of that 2005 plan is binding. The problem is the request for a variance on height, which would double the allowable height. I'm still very surprised that staff justified approval in this case, based on plan consistency, when there was a clear intent in the plan to limit the height in the area to only 120ft. It's one thing for elected officials to approve a project that is inconsistent with an adopted plan, but quite another for the staff to recommend approval when there's such a huge disparity in the height variance requested vs the plan recommendation.

Why even spend the money to do the station area principles (that was supposed to guide development practices at all station areas in the county), analysis of building heights and an area plan when it's thrown in the trash when a new tower comes along? <_<

^ Which is exactly my point ChiefJoJo. I'm not opposed to this proposal. I think the location is right for such density and height. I am opposed to the precedent it sets.

I would point the finger at the original plans. I think the scaling of height to only 120' was the flaw. The lowest maximum of 40' seems accurate, and even the 10' per 100' lateral distance stepping up seems appropriate, but at some point, a high-rise building will have no impact on the surrounding single family fabric. I think buildings in the 300' range are completely appropriate if there is both the transit capacity and road capacity to support them.

As opposed to having to do at each on a case by case basis, I would urge city planning to revisit the document and identify certain parcels that are directly adjacent to stations, have strong road connectivity, and are 1/4 mile from single family structures to have much higher height limit. One that is firm.

Of course, the bigger issue is Charlotte really needs to venture into the form-based zoning arena

Ohhh very nice. I wonder if it's going in where Zoe's Elf was. Also - and I say this being a happy regular at LMS - I don't think Laurel can really qualify as a hangout. That implies that there's room to... well, hangout.

That would be great if it does go in the Zoe's Elf location. When I was riding the Lynx I was hoping more store fronts would open up facing the actual tracks. I think it helps entice people riding the lightrail to stop and shop. If only other shopping areas like Home Depot could make easier connectivity to the lightrail. From what I remember about the Woodlawn station is that you have to walk around a large fenced hill embankment and around the whole bi block of stores to get to the Home Depot or any other store in that shopping center to shop. I know it would be expensive to retrofit a lot of the businesses to have some presence actually facing the tracks. But I do believe some of the businesses could add rear entrances, back patio's, or even rear walkways into current projects. I hope future projects incorporate more of a store front presence that face the rail, or at least rear entrances that face the rail with signage.

Silos at South End is requesting a zoning change to allow 1-2 highrises that can be as high as 230'-250'. This would be for Phase II south of the Poindexter extension.

I think it is interesting how this has basically flown under the radar with no discussion yet a similar rezoning for the 1200 South Blvd property has generated front page Observer stories. Obviously the difference between them is view blockage.

Anyways, this goes before City Council on Monday for the Public Hearing and looks to me like its going to sail through. The only real change is that Planning Staff wants to cap the height at 200ft and have the developer commit to more office use.

Looking into the future this could be setting up another Arlington type situation where I could see the McLeod Center property on Remount getting rezoned for a high rise that would block the views of the Silos Phase 2 proposed towers. It has the potential to create the same controvesy that 1200 South is.

There are some limited view renderings available on Page3 here. The arhcitecture looks to be modern and interesting. But until I see the full view of the proposed buildings and see them in context with everything else it is hard for me to render an opinion. Maybe we will see more at the hearing next week.

I think it is interesting how this has basically flown under the radar with no discussion yet a similar rezoning for the 1200 South Blvd property has generated front page Observer stories. Obviously the difference between them is view blockage.

Hopefully they come up with a consistent conclusion so that they can set a true height limitation set in stone that incorporates in TOD zoning with no option for height increase rezoning. I'd rather see towers built to a max down the line (sort of how it looks along the Myrtle Beach coast due the the airport limitations) to remain consistency and not lead to disasters and angry neighbors that could retaliate on your building. Just what we would need, a battle among high rise residents (like in Lucky Number Slevin)...

I like the recommendations that increase the height limit along the LRT line in order to increase density at stations but still have a limit to not allow things to get out of hand or aesthetically unpleasing to neighbors and Charlotte residents on whole.

I hope they work a little more on their elevations at the pedestrian/rail level. It feels a bit too mega-corporate along there right now. I still really like how this complex is evolving, in any case. It looks like they'll be pouring the Poindexter extension on the west side of the rails soon. If you haven't seen it, its worth checking out how wide their two-lane road is. It could be easily mistaken for a one lane road in the 'burbs. Its a nice urban touch (no on street parking though)

For what it's worth, I believe Chris Branch is marketing the 1447 S. Tryon which is the building that contained Zoe Elf's along with the adjacent parking lot. At one point he was planning to develop condos there, but not I heard he is planning to sell the entire parcel to an apartment developer who will raze the older building.

As for the McLeod Center that Uptownliving was discussing. It's currently up for sale. However, I don't personally see them going a highrise that would block Silos South End views due to their distance from any LRT stop.

For what it's worth, I believe Chris Branch is marketing the 1447 S. Tryon which is the building that contained Zoe Elf's along with the adjacent parking lot. At one point he was planning to develop condos there, but not I heard he is planning to sell the entire parcel to an apartment developer who will raze the older building.

As for the McLeod Center that Uptownliving was discussing. It's currently up for sale. However, I don't personally see them going a highrise that would block Silos South End views due to their distance from any LRT stop.

I was told Chris Branch landed the McLeod Center but don't know what's going there.

However, I don't personally see them going a highrise that would block Silos South End views due to their distance from any LRT stop.

Isn't the McLeod site the one there at the corner of the LRT and Remount? That's barely two blocks from the New Bern platform. Southhaus, at 12 stories, is about four blocks away.

Without splitting hairs here, midplatform to mid-site at McLeod is .25 miles, and to mid-site at SouthHaus is .30 miles (per my trusty Google Earth). Additionally, SouthHaus is also only 10 stories and less than the 120' max that TOD and MUDD zoning allow.

McLeod would have no problem getting TOD-M which would allow ~11stories or 120', but I don't see it getting something in the range of 200'.

The city planning staffs argument in favor of 1200 South Blvd (Harris site) is that it is directly adjacent to the station, which is preferred site of maximum density. It would be hard to rationalize why a site on the very edge of the primary station areas (.25 mile rings) should qualify to the same logic.

All that said, I'd hate to imply that city planning department makes rational decisions based upon established area plans.

Simply put though, if McLeod were allowed excess height, then there would be no reasonable justification that any TOD-M parcel with appropriate setback from R-(3-8) shouldn't be given height variances as well. In that case, why not just rewrite the entire zoning ordinance....(not that I'm saying they shouldn't)

Confirmed. All Atrium Park signage has been replaced by "lot for sale" signs. Would be a great spot for a huge Barnes & Noble. Uptown needs a bookstore!

You know, I'd be just as happy with much of the vacant land between Tryon and Camden being developed with retail and commercial rather than just residential and token commercial slots.