SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

17 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Serious question: how much if that $2m is lining the pockets of some people involved?

Well I would be very surprised if that was more than $25,000 of precast concrete. Railroad signaling can be expensive, but it sure AF is not more than $500,000  (the random source below prices crossing protection at $250,000).  Design costs --a 10 year old could design that crossing.  Add in three days of labor....  I have no doubt that somebody is featherbedding.

http://sp.mdot.ms.gov/Environmental/Projects/Current Projects/District 1 and 2/Tupelo Railroad Relocation/Feasibility Study/Volume I - Report/Appendix/Appendix G.pdf

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Meanwhile check out the awesome lights for safety reasons and crossing protection here

image.thumb.png.d932e391d5e0b219c573824bb0d58c7e.png

Not excusing their outrageous price tag but I'm sure when they designed this crossing they didn't expect heavy traffic and it's also near a station so trains are going to be moving slowly anyway. The fastest consistent speed I've noticed on the system is where this crossing is going and I'm sure CATS is going overboard both to keep up train speeds and to try to minimize accidents with the amount of traffic that crossing will get. All of the sidewalk crossings on Tryon that aren't near stations have pedestrian gates.

• Like 4

From the City with one more picture:

If you are receiving this, you requested information about the South End Connector project. Please see attached and below. Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Why is the South End Connector important?

This connection will provide new access points in a vibrant area and improve safety options in the area.

When will the crossing be constructed?

The crossing is currently scheduled to be complete by the end of 2020.

Why will it take so long?

Modifications and updates to the LYNX Blue Line are specific, complicated, and must go through several levels of safety approvals. Also, CATS will try to plan service outages necessary for instillations in coordination with previously scheduled outages to minimize impacts to customers.  

Will there be a station?

CATS is currently evaluating options of a station near this location and will come back to the public when clear next steps are identified.

How is the project being funded?

The South End Connector is being funded through Charlotte’s Community Investment Plan. Click here for more information: http://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/SouthEndPedBikeConnector.aspx?NotFoundURL=http://charlottenc.gov/charlottefuture/CIP/Pages/Southend-Connector.aspx&Referrer=http://charlottenc.gov/charlottefuture/CIP/Pages/default.aspx

Context Map South End Connector.JPG

• Like 2

16 hours ago, kermit said:

Well I would be very surprised if that was more than $25,000 of precast concrete. Railroad signaling can be expensive, but it sure AF is not more than $500,000  (the random source below prices crossing protection at $250,000).  Design costs --a 10 year old could design that crossing.  Add in three days of labor....  I have no doubt that somebody is featherbedding.

http://sp.mdot.ms.gov/Environmental/Projects/Current Projects/District 1 and 2/Tupelo Railroad Relocation/Feasibility Study/Volume I - Report/Appendix/Appendix G.pdf

I agree...  I can see the crossing equipment being $250,000 and the Concrete creeping up to 30,000.  Double that for a (high) estimate on labor for installation and you are still looking at $1.25 million in controls, testing and design.

The Atherton Mill garage is really really bad.  It is even worse when you are walking down South Blvd and you can get a feel for how long it is.  It just goes on forever.  Perhaps the worst part however, is that I'm pretty sure it is finished.  They used a textured finish on the exterior (which looks cheap and awful by the way) so I doubt they have any plans on screening it or hiding it in anyway.   What we see now is what we are going to get.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

The Atherton Mill garage is really really bad.  It is even worse when you are walking down South Blvd and you can get a feel for how long it is.  It just goes on forever.  Perhaps the worst part however, is that I'm pretty sure it is finished.  They used a textured finish on the exterior (which looks cheap and awful by the way) so I doubt they have any plans on screening it or hiding it in anyway.   What we see now is what we are going to get.

I was told by Multifamily Unit at Crescent, they will absolutely be screening it. That said, previously when buildings are screened, its indicated in the plans... its not indicated in the plans for this what so ever. So take it for what its worth.

image.thumb.png.a8a0d9069d40b49fe77ea52fc00d6c5f.png

Edited by Guest

As a devil's advocate thought: was there ever a chance that any infill around Atherton wouldn't hide the mill from the street? It's situated around the rail line on purpose (historically-speaking) with a parking lot between it and the road.

Though regardless they could have made the garage less horrendous. It just never ends when you're on South Blvd... It just keeps going and going...

Edited by SgtCampsalot

Despite the length of the parking deck, this project is going to have a TON of retail.  I think once everything is said and done, all the shops/restaurants/bars lining this project, along with hopefully some sort of screening...I don't think it will be as bad as we think.  If there's the right tenants, the street-level is engaging, and integrates seamlessly with the rest of buildings retail, think it will be okay.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz