SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

2 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Here's the Link to Clayton's story:  https://www.charlottefive.com/what-charlotte-can-learn-culture/  -  By Clayton Sealey, Charlotte Five, January 31, 2018

Here's an excerpt with Clayton's renderings: 

"The Rail Trail is Charlotte’s version of the Highline, but it does need better programming and a more cohesive direction, especially when it comes to its gaps, most notably across I-277. It needs to be connected. Charlotte needs to find a way to mitigate 277’s impact, and simultaneously add new public space for the thousands of new residents of Stonewall Street and the other 277 adjacent land."

I-277-RAIL-TRAIL-CAP-%E2%80%93-CREDIT-CLAY I-277 Rail Trail cap rendering

"Since a full cap of I-277 seems unfeasible at this time, I’d love to see a partial cap connecting the Rail Trail to Uptown. Camden’s new townhouse project facing 277 is adding an extension of the Rail Trail toward 277, and I’d love to see it connect to Crescent’s transit platform and then over Stonewall to the Convention Center."

OFF-RAMP-PARK_-CREDIT-CLAYTON-SEALEY-102 Off ramp park rendering

"I’d also like to see the last of the DOT owned on/off ramp land get re-imagined into pocket parks. These pieces of land lack the accessibility for residential, but could help bridge gaps between Uptown and the surrounding neighborhoods."

Photos: Clayton Sealey, Curbed NY, Charlotte Observer file, SXSW

@ricky_davis_fan_21, Curbed really needs to start a charlotte edition.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Sorry to continue this slightly off topic sidebar (feel free to move it to the South End threat). Counter point, Camden was originally part of Wilmore. Few of the  1920-1930's single family homes in the Camden / Tryon / West wedge remain and the last few will be torn down with the Common Square project.  Also, that project name is awful. I'd take it being renamed "Wilmore Square" instead.

image.thumb.png.85f95a4e43876cc339a1430d57b83d3d.png

I will now show how to pick a nit. The sidewalks at the East corners of South and Park were poured by the city with an imprint saying South End at that intersection. I know that one because I have walked there thousands of times. It is likely they are at other South Blvd locations. Park avenue from Camden was part of Dilworth.

It is likely that other South Boulevard intersections have this also. 

I agree on Wilmo(o)re

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, Sigma said:

I doubt a high school kid did this. My bet is on some transplant hipster that didn't go to work today.

I am in my 50s, they are both kids to me. #GetOffMyLawn

I mostly just wish they could be more Banksy'esque in their messaging. #ArtAsProtestEvenIfYouDontKnowWhatYouAreProtesting

Edited by kermit

^^^South End was NOT built on displacement.  Most of the apartment complexes were built on brownfields,  old industrial sites.  Wilmore and other neighborhoods that may be true but not South End.   I hate graffiti anywhere. 

I might have to fly down and spray paint a retort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone who knows nothing. Rail lines such as the spine of South End attracted industry and manufacturing. Facing that electrical component trailer was a foundry on the backside and a knitting mill on the Camden side across the street. Light industry and distribution was all around there. No one would willingly choose to live near an active rail line and business eagerly sought such an advantageous location. 
Displacement of brownfield coal power plants? Displacement of mills and their misery? Displacement of a foundry and  trucking warehouse? He is not wrong there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Someone who knows nothing. Rail lines such as the spine of South End attracted industry and manufacturing. Facing that electrical component trailer was a foundry on the backside and a knitting mill on the Camden side across the street. Light industry and distribution was all around there. No one would willingly choose to live near an active rail line and business eagerly sought such an advantageous location. 
Displacement of brownfield coal power plants? Displacement of mills and their misery? Displacement of a foundry and  trucking warehouse? He is not wrong there.

That's transplants for ya

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone think we'll need to start a 'Southend High-Rise' section within the next year?  I sure hope so...

Anyway - Midrise is typically 4 to 10 stories tall?

Eh, I think the coming high rises in South End will be infrequent enough to continue with single threads for all of them.  Let's just keep going with the current method; generic apartments go in this thread, everything else gets its own thread.

• Like 1

Multiple 180'+ buildings on the way. Might make sense.

Personally think these projects will deserve their own thread. Wilmore Square included, deserves its own thread. How about this. Here’s the criteria for new thread.
*Mixed Use - includes a large amount of uses. Residential + Retail (over 15k sq feet), office plus retail, residential plus hotel (plus retail) office plus hotel (+retail)
*if doesn’t make the previous criterium, is over 15 floors in height.
*includes something that sets it apart from others (urban outdoor space, affordable housing, award winning architectural design)

^^In my humble opinion, it would help to take 'midrise' out of the thread name.  Others have mentioned this in the past.  Every other neighborhood has a general thread and then significant building threads.  Even general Uptown news falls under "Misc. Uptown Projects/News".  What do you think, moderators?  Can we please just take 'midrise' out of thread?  Seems like this has been mentioned/requested multiple times over the past couple of years.  Seems best to avoid confusion and keep all SouthEnd news in one place.

There is a SouthEnd Living thread for general news