SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

24 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

They better not give Owen's the boot!

• Like 1

Owen's has been looking for a new spot for months, but it may just be as a backup plan in case they got the boot as this property has been tied up with a few groups looking to scrape and redevelop. I think the lack of parking is going to limit the caliber of tenant they're able to get, although it'll be interesting to see if they can sell the location and synergy from Atherton and the fact that someone could park there (or elsewhere) and actually walk the district and not just the specific property...a new concept for Charlotte. 

I have always been fascinated by this property because it's an attractive development that is mired by the front parking spots; but then there may not enough in the back to absorb lost spaces in the front.

I'm hoping in the years ahead they turn the front into patio space to merry the pedestrian environment on this (very dangerous) portion of South Blvd.

• Like 2

I have no idea where else to put this: In an article about Charlotte's neighborhood names, this photo was associated with Wilmore. 

I don't recognize it, and I feel like it's from another city. Anyone recognize it?

IMG_20190101_140548.thumb.png.0460a9f06c937b33f41614dee12c5c1b.png&key=f26aa69d7bc14bb115041ab78f9e5309597ba6391900a60af16131fb80f03bcc

For some reason, they used a photo of the Camden/Tryon intersection to represent Wilmore. That photo was taken in 2009 by a UP member. Here’s a google street view from 2009.d637bd406280fb234ff10229b6c279c9.jpg&key=1b06eb917b9a96bdb971546062005495ee56e16d41f055272ee249a7d76dc8ad

• Like 2

For some reason, they used a photo of the Camden/Tryon intersection to represent Wilmore. That photo was taken in 2009 by a UP member. Here’s a google street view from 2009.d637bd406280fb234ff10229b6c279c9.jpg&key=1b06eb917b9a96bdb971546062005495ee56e16d41f055272ee249a7d76dc8ad 

I mean that is Wilmore... but those buildings don’t exist any longer :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I feel like "South End" was the invention of Center City Partners, no? And once upon a Time this commercial area within the industry would have served the Wilmorians.

That's a fair point and I can see how that would be. I thought the South End name had been around for much longer than it has been.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Tony Presley of MECA Properties, with the help of Mary Hopper and her branding and PR firm, invented the name SouthEnd for the area we know now.

Here is a Business Journal story about Tony and the branding was from the mid 1990's. The article does not mention Mary Hopper since it is about Tony, but she was the PR person who put the program together to establish the brand.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2016/10/28/pillar-award-tony-pressley-made-south-end-and-so.html

Mary lived in Dilworth and was a DCDA President about that time. 

^ THIS is exactly why the UP community is such an interesting and learning place to duck into.  

• Like 3