SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Does anyone have any info about plans for the empty lot at Park and Camden (across from Phat Burrito).

That lot is SCREAMING for retail development.

There were some plans for that lot that were in the planning stages but nothing definite. The economy has halted those as well as the Park Avenue Plaza project across the street. I've not heard about anything coming to those little blocks between Camden and Tryon in Southend -- everything moving along right now is over in the Church Street, Tryon Street area near the Catholic Diocese and further down near Silos at Southend.

That's right it will be 'Historic South End Park'. Or at least that is what is shown on CCCP's materials. Hopefully the name shown is just CCCP's placeholder, as they have a knack for naming things illogically (that makes it sound to me that the park is historic -- the place name is South End, and the description of South End is that it is 'Historic', so the park should be named for the place 'South End', and not include that South End is historic).

Because of its central location, it would make a great park but, for the very same reason, the real estate is too valuable. That's the major difficulty in creating green space in the Center City. Unless the land is donated, or has limited utility, it's very tough.

Efforts are in progress to create a green space across the tracks from the new Trolley Powerhouse Museum, adjacent to Duke's substation and just south of Circle. The area sits under heavy power lines, is owned by the City and is currently being used as a dog walk area by local residents. It's a much smaller area than "the triangle". However, these smaller "pocket park" opportunities are a focus of County Parks & Rec and are a quicker means to an end, creating refuges along the rail corridor.

Edited by Charlotte411

With the growing residential population in S. End, it is becoming a necessity for S. End to have land devoted for a park and hopefully soon, have a park. Land prices are only going to go up from here.

Since you brought it up Clt411, is the Trolley Museum opened yet? Has anyone been to it? Last I saw over the summer they installed the physical trolley inside. I'd imagine it wouldn't have taken much longer to complete.

Since you brought it up Clt411, is the Trolley Museum opened yet? Has anyone been to it? Last I saw over the summer they installed the physical trolley inside. I'd imagine it wouldn't have taken much longer to complete.

I'm pretty sure it isn't open, but from driving by frequently it looks like it is very near completion.

I'm pretty sure it isn't open, but from driving by frequently it looks like it is very near completion.

Frighteningly, I think it is. I've seen them entertaining groups of people and school children inside. From what I can tell, it's just a big meeting room with some trolley themed items.

I know this won't change the discount system, but I'm under the impression that the non-skyline views are actually more valued by residents (avenue/trademark) than the city views are. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I think that the non-skyline views will be great.

Edit: Apparently I can't type or correctly read my post before hitting submit tonight, my apologies.

I do, indeed, like my NW view. I get to point out the Appalachans on a cold, clear day, and Crowders on a not so clear day.

Ok. I'm a little late on this one.

It looks ok, but I can't see how this one works at the ground level. It doesn't appear to have much in the way of pedestrian amenities except for wide sidewalks sans-planting strip. I agree that no planting strips in Center City is a good thing. But how does this incorporate retail or at the very least a dry cleaner/steak house on the street level?

That park/courtyard area is going to be wasted space. It will be in the shadows most of the time since it will be surrounded on 4 sides by buildings. Maybe its intended to be a conciliatory gesture towards the Arlington since they will have to look at buildings instead of the skyline.

Regarding the suburban office park comments- all of our mid-rise buildings look that way from an architectural standpoint. However, from a design/functional standpoint, if they can pull something off like Gateway Village, we will be in for a real treat.

I agree that the facade treatments at the ground level are not as exciting for pedestrians, at least there will be a lot of retail, and I believe at the base of the residential tower, there will be walk out units a la 5th&Pine.

Hopefully they'll do something to help the ground floor in the design, though.

In a backslide for SouthEnd retail, I saw today that the Bee Man is closing for good, and it looks like today is the last day its doors will be open.

The Bee Man is closing his Charlotte store and heading to grad school at NC State in order to fight the "disappearing bees" epidemic. He will continue selling his candles through the web... or so his parents said last week.