SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

12 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

On the "Why?" for brick not going to the top...  Veneer Brick can only go about 30 feet in height before you need a horizontal control joint. This is required due to the natural expansion and contraction of the brick under hot and cold temperatures, and the difference between that contraction and the structure behind it.  So,  a horizontal control joint basically means that whatever you used to hold up the brick to begin with has to be duplicated 30 feet up in the air.  Typically that is a steel angle. You can imagine the difficulty (cost) in securing a steel angle to hold up brick... on a light frame wood building.... not to mention the fact that wood dries out over time and moves a lot differently than brick.

ALL HAIL THE BIA TECH NOTES

• Like 2

Good info, I'm not the best on explaining that kinda stuff. My experience is very limited and fading fast (last brick I laid was 10+years ago). I do realize the that veneer is more prominent now a days. Is it purely cost that has driven us as a society to do more wood framed/ brick veneer vs and all brick structure? I get residential or apartments but why not small to medium commercial? If not all brick, block with brick veneer? Is cost only saved on the front end or also saved in the later maintenance of that structure? Thanks

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Good info, I'm not the best on explaining that kinda stuff. My experience is very limited and fading fast (last brick I laid was 10+years ago). I do realize the that veneer is more prominent now a days. Is it purely cost that has driven us as a society to do more wood framed/ brick veneer vs and all brick structure? I get residential or apartments but why not small to medium commercial? If not all brick, block with brick veneer? Is cost only saved on the front end or also saved in the later maintenance of that structure? Thanks

Cost definitely factors, but energy code is a big driver, too. When you have to provide insulation & then cover the insulation with an interior finish, you might as well just make the brick a veneer. 

• Like 3

On 3/25/2019 at 4:42 PM, j-man said:

As odd of a space as I still think these townhouses are they do look good. 

They certainly do look good, though I’ll pass on paying $4k in rent to have I277 as my front yard.

Much rather just live across the highway in uptown or back further down South Blvd., where you have much better walkabilty to retail/food/bars 

But I hope enough people disagree and they fill up. It’s a great looking infill project on a tough spit of land 

• Like 1

I’m confused...so where do the residents park? Street  or in one big parking lot in that empty space. They can’t be constructing a parking garage after the apartments 

Big giant space=surface parking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk