SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

That is interesting and sad at the same time. I did venture in there and while pricey (I think that is probably the actual price of beeswax candles) it was a very cool little boutique shop and the kind of place we need in Charlotte.

However, it is very cool that he is following his passion in a much more important way than running a candle shop. The bee epidemic is scary and will have a fairly dramatic impact on the human race if it continues.

One sad theory I read which is fairly horrifying: when CO2 levels reach a certain point in the hive (a sign that the hive is overpopulated), the weaker bees leave and never come back, basically committing suicide for the good of the hive. That behavior has been scientifically observed and known for a century. But it seems probable that since CO2 levels on earth have skyrocketed in the last few decades, that it is hitting a tipping point within the hives, especially nearer to cities. But since the high CO2 levels are because of the human's cars, airplanes, power plants, factories, and lungs, the bees' heroic efforts do nothing to lower the CO2 levels in the hives. Thus, more and more bees go off to die for the good of the hive, but to no avail, and the cycle continues until entire bee populations are decimated. So an altruistic species is going extinct because of our selfish species.

Best of luck to the Bee Man!

This project looks amazing! I had no idea this would turn out so nicely. After looking at the Royal Court thread and seeing the mediocre finishes on buildings like Aloft, I was not expecting much, but I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the pics of this one. This was some great work - the roof flairs, glass, and brick are all exquisite.

Certainly gives that stretch of the neighborhood more of an "urban" stature which is a good thing. The ground level would seem ideal for a cafe or something in that vein. Maybe with a nice deck along the tracks to watch the train go by. I don't think this has a retail component though?

In an update.....I reported a while ago that Ryan Homes defaulted on the takedown of The Block at South End property. To clarify, while they were in technical default, they had intentions to continue the project. However, The Boulevard Company decided that they would prefer to sell the remainder of the land to an apartment developer.

This is the proposed apartment community spanning the area between Church and Winnifred sts. and Lincoln St. almost to the Catholic Diocese.

Tentatively 1225 S. Church.

So they completed demolition of the site and I assumed that would be that for the time being, but it looks like utility work is beginning. There are some massive pipes sitting on the site now ready for a new home underground. Seriously, you could drive a car through the things. Maybe they're doing a waterpark surrounded by apartments.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured this might be the right place to put this (or not) but given it's proximity to the projects like Ashton, the Circle and Millenium, but has anyone heard on what may be happening with the old Woods on South restaurant space? Given it's location to these soon to be open apartment complexes someone must be looking at filling that space, even with the down economy. I thought a sports bar like a Buffalo Wild Wings would doing a killing there given the potential number of new residents.

I agree this project turned out better than expected from a materials and detailing standpoint...my one major quib is with the exposed concrete parking deck. I kept expecting it to be clad, but I'm losing faith.

It turns out they added glass "windows" to the Ashton garage frontage along Hawkins. It helps some. Looks like the rear of the deck will remain exposed, but in theory, another adjacent development will obscure that in the future.

I figured this might be the right place to put this (or not) but given it's proximity to the projects like Ashton, the Circle and Millenium, but has anyone heard on what may be happening with the old Woods on South restaurant space? Given it's location to these soon to be open apartment complexes someone must be looking at filling that space, even with the down economy. I thought a sports bar like a Buffalo Wild Wings would doing a killing there given the potential number of new residents.

Well unfortunately its an unneccessarily large space that comes with beer production equipment, so the rent is very high. Not only does it have an unnecessary amount of space it has tons of UNUSABLE space. With the square footage of the place one would expect there to be twice as much seating, but there is not. Another problem with the incredible amount of space that even when its getting decent business it looks empty which gives it a poor image. That is why Woods on South died. Its a specific niche space so its not as easy to fill and market as one would expect. Hopefully the addition of more rental/condos will help.

Wow! Great idea for this space. I know the broker that represents BW3s locally. They were quite actively looking for locations in the area a couple yrs ago. They considered the old Hooters on South location, but didn't like the demos and median incomes in the immediate area back then, and considering the Hornets carried that location I don't blame them. I know they favor their prototype strip mall design, but this would be a graet spot to adapt to.

Edited by palmetto75

The facade materials for Circle are looking pretty good. The little inlet things are not my favorite, but it definitely does not have the euro-block look that everyone feared from the siteplan. The lack of much retail space is not great, but not the end of the world because of the amount of retail space in the area. I don't get down there much, but went by there today.

^ I like the railings they are using at the Circle, too.

Having said that, here are photos of the Ashton and Spectrum from the LRT bike path. Take note that the path in front of both projects has been substantially upgraded from the standard asphalt and was widened at both projects. Still not a fan of the corny old-timey lights, though.

I also noticed that the Ashton Parking deck is being painted tan to match the rest of the architectural precast.

IMG_7794.jpgIMG_7795.jpg

IMG_7796.jpgIMG_7797.jpgIMG_7798.jpg

Edited by tozmervo

The facade materials for Circle are looking pretty good. The little inlet things are not my favorite, but it definitely does not have the euro-block look that everyone feared from the siteplan. The lack of much retail space is not great, but not the end of the world because of the amount of retail space in the area. I don't get down there much, but went by there today.

I pass by Circle frequently and have really like how this has come out. The renderings and site plans don't reflect what I see there at all. The material mix and overall project has a far better feel than I expected it too. I still wish they would have added more retail and commercial space, but I am happy that it turned out to look OK.

When Circle, Ashton, and Millenium are finished the local neighborhood businesses ought to be booming.

I pass by Circle frequently and have really like how this has come out. The renderings and site plans don't reflect what I see there at all. The material mix and overall project has a far better feel than I expected it too. I still wish they would have added more retail and commercial space, but I am happy that it turned out to look OK.

When Circle, Ashton, and Millenium are finished the local neighborhood businesses ought to be booming.

When I went by last, I had a similar feeling. I like the way the glass turned out and the patios that face the light rail. The brick work looks a lot better and to a pleasant surprise or lack there of (Depending how you look at it), this project has finished off much better than some projects that had higher ambitions.

I check the Silos at Southend site frequently to see if there is new info on develpment and new info on the opening of the Local bar nearby. I went today and the site is down? Have they scrapped the residential portion altogether and are going all commercial?

Not sure, but I sent an email to the available email address before on the Local bar website to get an update (since the website still says they are opening in October 2008). Needless to say, I never received a response, making me believe things may not be snowballing. A shame, I was really looking forward to a local non-chained casual bar and on the light rail.