SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

What's worse on Atherton, is unlike most every other project in Charlotte (which aren't subject to aesthetic design review), this project actually did have to receive a design review approval from the historic properties commission given the mill and property overall us a designated historic property....

There were multiple meetings and refinements....and this is what got approved.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

My other concern too is, say you have to park on the very end of the parking deck...and your apartment is the very end of the opposite side.  That is a long ass walk with groceries.  

You could just walk over to Publix just as easily :) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

My other concern too is, say you have to park on the very end of the parking deck...and your apartment is the very end of the opposite side.  That is a long ass walk with groceries.  

There wasn't enough room. And it's far enough away from the nearest train station. That said, I walk .35 miles with groceries every single day, its not so bad. 

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

There wasn't enough room. And it's far enough away from the nearest train station. That said, I walk .35 miles with groceries every single day, its not so bad. 

Maybe it's the fact that you do it every day that makes it not so bad. Try it once a week.

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Man, you're in that cool Brooklyn weather now while we're hitting close to triple digits here lol. I know there was no room to wrap the deck or anything and wouldn't have a problem walking, but I can definatley see where the distance would trouble some ppl (elderly, parents with kids/babies, heel wearing folk lol). Not sure how accurate Google distant measurer is, but this is a signaicant walk, esp if you are someone used to pulling in a garage and walking upstairs. According to Google, if parked on the opposite side of the last corner apartment, you would  be walking over 2.5 football fields in distance (not saying you would have to park there everytime, but it's possible). Plus side, you would get your steps in everyday lol. 

20190528_204111.thumb.jpg.285a75291c54122a61faa314481e369b.jpg

20190528_205139.thumb.jpg.004e551e60fb2ebdd611581a9afa0c0d.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 7:38 AM, gman430 said:

6. D5-A8748-C-188-D-4-C7-F-AC3-A-207-E32943

BD9-B220-D-BC6-E-45-EE-AE98-29-C8-DAB24-

C168-D4-E8-6-EB8-49-FE-8-A67-174371-DB18

Is the backside of this not getting the weathered brick like the front?? I think the first picture looks quite good (probably from hiding the parking deck) but the back where the actual mill is looks like one of the uglier pop-up apartment complexes in the area. I'd give them the benefit and say its still under construction but having the wood paneling installed already gives me pause.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JHart said:

Is the backside of this not getting the weathered brick like the front?? I think the first picture looks quite good (probably from hiding the parking deck) but the back where the actual mill is looks like one of the uglier pop-up apartment complexes in the area. I'd give them the benefit and say its still under construction but having the wood paneling installed already gives me pause.

No, its got aluminum siding up already.  I think what you see now is pretty much the finished product on the back side.  Its a shame, I wish the side facing the rail trail had better materials.

Edit* Adding zoomed in picture that shows texture on backside.

zoom.PNG

Edited by CTiger
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, CLT> said:

Another example of Crescent delivering a B or C grade project when it could have been transformational. But it's ok, slap a mural up and all will be well.

Has Crescent ever delivered better than a 'C' urban project? (honest question, I have trouble connecting developer names to specific projects).

Honestly the Atherton parking deck makes danny Levine look less bad IMO (at least he planned to wrap his parking monstrosity and the vacant parcels produced by his inaction may be preferable to design disasters we are stuck with for 50 years). 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

The Bradham at the former Pepsi plant has been mentioned and did not make an impression on me at the time. I drove Marsh Road to the South Boulevard intersection and while waiting at the light it struck me. Bradham is Caleb Bradham, the creator of Pepsi Cola, New Bern, NC. Perhaps this has been mentioned earlier here and sorry for the late entry if so.
https://www.pepsistore.com/history.asp
Well done done LMC

Yessir! Thats exactly who.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk