SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

On 6/7/2019 at 10:01 PM, KJHburg said:

IMG_5273.JPG

I peeked in the windows of Flower Child when I walked by on Friday.  It looks like its really close to being completed.  They had all of their furniture delivered an some of it was set up already.  This one should be opening soon I would guess.

• Like 1

New (to me) signalized pedestrian crossing over South and Kingston. It matches the one that has been operating for a couple of months at Rensselaer. 

It is clear that drivers don't really get how these things work. It seems clear that solid red means stop, but it has a 30 second (ish) period of flashing red at the end of the walk cycle — can drivers proceed after stopping if clear?

5 minutes ago, kermit said:

New (to me) signalized pedestrian crossing over South and Kingston. It matches the one that has been operating for a couple of months at Rensselaer. 

It is clear that drivers don't really get how these things work. It seems clear that solid red means stop, but it has a 30 second (ish) period of flashing red at the end of the walk cycle — can drivers proceed after stopping if clear?

There is one outside the YWCA on Park Road too. I've observed people wait during the 30 sec cycle and people proceeding. Nobody seems to know what to do. A lot of confusion which is a danger.

15 minutes ago, kermit said:

I read in some blog (I'll try to find it) that you can proceed on the flashing red if no pedestrians present.  That makes sense to me as you can proceed on any other flashing red light after coming to a stop and checking.  I seem to be one of the few that do though, rarely does the car behind me follow.  Oh well, I'm going to keep doing it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bruco72 said:

I read in some blog (I'll try to find it) that you can proceed on the flashing red if no pedestrians present.  That makes sense to me as you can proceed on any other flashing red light after coming to a stop and checking.  I seem to be one of the few that do though, rarely does the car behind me follow.  Oh well, I'm going to keep doing it. 

You are right. Just researched it and "The flashing red indicates to drivers that they are to stop and yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk, and can proceed once pedestrians are clear."

https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/ped_bike/tools_solve/fhwasa14014/

I always waited, but now I know.  Just saved myself 30 seconds!

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know why it's taking so long for Ilios Crafted Greek to open?  

It's the same owners as Ilios Noche so I assume they know what they're doing, but this article came out 7 months ago saying they'd be opening soon:

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/October-2018/Inside-South-Ends-Newest-Fast-Casual-Spot-Ilios-Crafted-Greek/

Edited by ChessieCat

2 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Does anyone know why it's taking so long for Ilios Crafted Greek to open?  

It's the same owners as Ilios Noche so I assume they know what they're doing, but this article came out 7 months ago saying they'd be opening soon:

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/October-2018/Inside-South-Ends-Newest-Fast-Casual-Spot-Ilios-Crafted-Greek/

Yeah I have NOOO idea what’s going on here. They haven’t had an inspection in quite some time. Usually that’s money related 

• 2 weeks later...

Signage is up on the rail side of Design Within Reach, the building is much more open looking thanks to new windows as well. 

It looks great (sorry I was too slow to take a photo)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

On 6/7/2019 at 10:01 PM, KJHburg said:

This area is brimming with pedestrians, bikers etc along Camden.  

IMG_5273.JPG

IMG_5264.JPG

IMG_5267.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

IMG_5269.JPG

IMG_5270.JPG

IMG_5271.JPG

IMG_5272.JPG

IMG_5275.JPG

IMG_5276.JPG

IMG_5278.JPG

From just a casual look, I don't see a single pedestrian, biker etc. in a single picture. Reminds me of the tumbleweeds in from of Whole Foods on Stonewall. :tw_lol:

• Haha 3

^^^ someone in Richmond commented too that I had no people in my photos of downtown on a weekday LOL.   Trust me I must have saw them but I don't like people in my photos.   I am sure it was brimming of people that day just not photographed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

the apartment tower the Hawk is underway and it is 13 stories I think. 

The apartment building is gonna fly up, but I’m not ready to call that a high rise yet. I guess technically it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CLT_sc said:

Who owns the building/lots on the corner of S Tryon and Bland and the corner of a Tryon and Summit?  Are these in play for anything?  Just trying to think of good lots for a large development in Southend that hasn’t already been announced.  

Or the parking lot at East/West and the Blue Line....

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, kermit said:

Or the parking lot at East/West and the Blue Line....

This will be the next next next next big thing.

Edited by Guest