SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I took a little stroll around the area after shopping at Niche last week. Seeing all of the complexes rising up together is really exciting. There is potential for a fantastic and vibrant walkable district. The demo of the future residents should attract more interest. If things go right and Camden continues to pull in independent and quirky retailers, I think it could eventually be as popular as Thomas St. And it's much longer! Thank God. Perhaps enough to make a "day" of it. We don't have that yet. Thomas&Davidson and their immediate environs are great but they are so tantalizingly short....if we could just streeeetch them out we could give Portland and Austin a run for their money. Maybe Southend will be our answer. I am not my jaded self tonight. It's liberating for a change.

Back to normal tomorrow <_<

I appreciate that the Trolley Museum is in an urban location, but they really built this thing on a stripped-down to the minimum budget. They are still trying to raise $700k more to finish the place. I hope some of that money goes to building exterior improvements (lighting, signage, mural, whatever)

I took almost identical pictures to these the other day, so this saves time in not having to post them :)

I will say that the cladding on the Ashton deck is better than I expected, and them leaving the southern exposure unclad is ok, because eventually it should be covered by an adjacent development.

On thing I can't figure out is the 7 story above Tryon St. grade parking deck for The Millenium. This is a wood framed building and the bottom 2 floors seem to match the wood frame exactly to the parking deck. Therefore, how are they going to build high enough to wrap the upper floors of the garage? Or maybe they won't and it will protrude 2 stories above the residential structure? Wierd.

I appreciate that the Trolley Museum is in an urban location, but they really built this thing on a stripped-down to the minimum budget. They are still trying to raise $700k more to finish the place. I hope some of that money goes to building exterior improvements (lighting, signage, mural, whatever)

It's not a bad building, it's just so subtle. I would think people that ride LYNX on a daily basis would pass by without ever knowing it was there. It would be nice if they went with a nice lighting theme and some color to make it a little more known since they went ahead and built this.

• 2 weeks later...

So they completed demolition of the site and I assumed that would be that for the time being, but it looks like utility work is beginning. There are some massive pipes sitting on the site now ready for a new home underground. Seriously, you could drive a car through the things. Maybe they're doing a waterpark surrounded by apartments.

Construction is proceeding in earnest on 1225 Church. Formwork is going up for the foundation. I guess there is money flowing somewhere.

Oh, and I nearly forgot -

Camden SouthEnd is renewing itself with about the most heinous color scheme I've ever seen. It's going from fade-into-the-background builder beige to "LOOKATMEILOOKLIKEPOOWITHCARROTS." That makes more sense when you see it.

Haha. Wow, seriously? Camden is begging for attention over there with all of the new apartment sites that are beginning to open up. What a <creatively fill in the blank>.

I can't wait to see it, but poo and carrots references are why we end up with so many beige boxes. We need to be more forgiving for random buildings in the city to have unique colors if we want to that. I'm guessing some designer thought it was a good idea. But I am intrigued.

I can't wait to see it, but poo and carrots references are why we end up with so many beige boxes. We need to be more forgiving for random buildings in the city to have unique colors if we want to that. I'm guessing some designer thought it was a good idea. But I am intrigued.

couldn't agree more. it's actually part of my job to be conscious of color palettes, but my favorite parts of a city are invariably those with the randomized, typically ugly colors. of course this is a modern apartment building and not a funky little loft or restaurant, but i would still like us to be a visually noisier city.

I can't wait to see it, but poo and carrots references are why we end up with so many beige boxes. We need to be more forgiving for random buildings in the city to have unique colors if we want to that.

I absolutely agree, and that's the really frustrating thing with what they're doing. The colors are neither bold, nor playful, nor innovative. They're just ugly. If I had been a fly on the wall, I'm sure I would have heard something like: "We have to compete with these other apartments being built by looking more trendy. But we still want to be conservative, so this <drab> palette fits the bill."

A CBJ Article basically summarizes and confirms a lot of what we guessed/knew. Everything that wasn't out of the ground already is on hold and there are a couple of cancellations, including the Broad St property @ New Bern station that is now being foreclosed.

"Delayed":

- 1200 South

- Chelsea

- East Worthington Court

- The Reserve

- ? at South and Remount

- Southhaus

- Silos (website still gone... :( )

- Colonial Properties

- Pappas Property @ Scaleybark Station

Well... at least there will be lots of rental options by year's end.

As far as Citiline/Resortline, the developer of Silos, they closed up shop and layed off all employees, so I don't expect to see much there, though their principal might push forward on his own. I don't know if they are still going to start the office builds that had some pre-leasing, but the residential component is definetely on indefinite hold.

As far as Citiline/Resortline, the developer of Silos, they closed up shop and layed off all employees,

That's really unfortunate and disappointing. I was looking forward to this new development, to the point of considering it for a first home purchase. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

What really sucks is that so much clearing has already been done that now South Blvd looks like a blighted war zone in those areas. Hope that doesn't drive property values around it down before the economy gets back up and going.

Not to mention all of the art work that was completed on the silos and the road extension. I guess the good thing is that at least we have the art work, which looks really cool even without anything around it, and the road extension is an intricate part of the grid, and it essentially split up the land into 2, which later on can be used more effectively.

Shame about Southaus.

Southaus didn't have a chance as it was struggling to meet sales when the economy was at its peak, which is why they had to redesign it.

What really sucks is that so much clearing has already been done that now South Blvd looks like a blighted war zone in those areas. Hope that doesn't drive property values around it down before the economy gets back up and going.

Shame about Southaus.

Don't expect it to look like this for too long. I don't mean next month, but not a few years out. There are investors looking at many sites where projects have been stopped right now. The deals that are out there are many, the price of all types of properties are now attractive to investors and land-bankers, and they have noticed and are looking. Doubtful that when they change hands anything will happen soon, but it will.

Edited by Charlotte_native