SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

22 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

So is thin brick still coming or did that get VE'd out? Thin brick sucks but it's better than what's there now.

oh its there, they just chose brick the same color as the precast. 

image.thumb.png.3e8b0b1b5404c697b55aa2bf5dead36b.png

Edited by Guest

Oh my god, you're right. Who made that design choice? I'd like to know so I can shoot them.

On the other hand, I guess it would look just as bad with a different color thin brick over that ugly precast. There's no way to dress up such a bad deck. I imagine the conversation at the architecture firm went like this: "Hey, who's our newest intern? Let's give them the parking deck to design and make no changes to the first thing they come up with."

Edited by Madison Parkitect
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Oh my god, you're right. Who made that design choice? I'd like to know so I can shoot them.

On the other hand, I guess it would look just as bad with a different color thin brick over that ugly precast. There's no way to dress up such a bad deck. I imagine the conversation at the architecture firm went like this: "Hey, who's our newest intern? Let's give them the parking deck to design and make no changes to the first thing they come up with."

When I talked to them, they were pretty proud of the thin brick that was going to go up. I think they should have gone red brick, and darker precast panels.

I realize the parapets above the ground floor retail areas beneath the garage are probably hiding HVAC and other equipment, but I wish they'd be creative and put some deep, LARGE planters along the rear of both, and plant some greenery that would climb and create a "living wall" at least on those portions. 

I also think the idea of painting the garage a color(s) would help--something BOLD, not imitative of brick. If you combined a few strategies. which are relatively cheap, like these, you could mitigate a lot of the disappointment of the garage and its facade. 

The two things I don't get about it are that it's truly hideous from the Rail Trail, looming over (and ruining) the look of the old mill, and I CANNOT understand why the southeast corner at the Publix was indented (I know there's a better architectural term) or inverted, making a literal negative space, and made worse with the one story ground floor element filling out the plat. I understand why they were stuck spatially with where the garage had to go, and thus some South Boulevard frontage, but those two design elements are the definition of execrable. 

• Like 2

The only thing I've had to say up here in months is that deck is a freaking mess.

So much thought put into all the other features, I mean, I really love the style of those apartments - so simple and different - and then BAM "LoOK aT OUr BEyOuTiful dECK!!". I refuse to believe anyone thought this was a good idea. Someone was threatened, or bribed, or possessed or something. This clearly reeks of some sort of foul play.

On 9/11/2019 at 10:42 AM, Prodev said:

It just went under contract. It's office, but only on the parking lot fronting light rail. Doesn't include Tupelo or Manchester buildings.

I was told it's the entire parcel, including Tupelo & Manchester that went under contract. I could see those buildings remaining for a while (hopefully for good with the Tupelo building), but the whole site is in play.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

2 office buildings going up at the corner of S Tryon and W Tremont.  Today.  Last photo view from S Tryon around Worthington.   It is truly amazing how much office development Southend has attracted in the last 5 years. 

These buildings really have flown under the radar on this forum.  Do they have tenants lined up or are they building on spec?  Can't believe how far along they are already.

55 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Unrelated but how have I never heard of this??
edit- Instagram being a turd and wouldn’t let me copy link...

imageproxy.php?img=&key=c71e87a16cbbfd68

DCC8B800-5FB3-4BB4-B170-7B50D3B6E59A.png

If someone would just invent an app that does Twitter, Instagram and Urban Planet you would have heard of it. LOL. Here are renderings. 

image.thumb.png.1809a6a76dd4976501c8fa06d14083e3.pngimage.thumb.png.69c8b564340139ec4a7c1b53e6e7e583.png

image.thumb.png.de85398ef5db2159edc7b0920ae9448e.png

image.thumb.png.69a2ca973ba34216d92972e06b7a1463.pngYou haven't ha

image.thumb.png.63067d14d9303a11e79ae9a94a833ba0.png

Edited by Guest