SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

So I've been reading through 10 years of this thread for a story I'm working on, and takeaways.

1. Boy were we excited for World of Beer, especially @kermit

2. @tozmervo was going to burn the world down if 1100 South Blvd was a podium apartment building (it is) world is still retained

3. Uptown Caberet owner Dominik wanted 2 condo towers and a grocery built on his site (per @atlrvr

4. Literally anything short of 25 floors was a complete waste, and shouldn't be built, ever.

5. Did I mention how excited we were for WOB?

6. I was damn sure Publix would be built at Strawn Apartments site. 

7. "I also wonder if the apartment boom will bubble at some point." 7 years later, y'all, wow

Edited by Guest

I agree with @KJHburg - Growth through Southend is incredible.  I drove down S.Tryon from Uptown to the Scaleybark Station Area and its amazing.  I only go to Southend like once every two or three months.

Anyway - My question is two fold: 

At this current pace of growth how much longer does Southend (Upper) have until full buildout?  Buildable lots seem to be going fast and Traffic seems to be at a breaking point during peak AM/PM hours.

Anyone think High-Rise or Mid-Rise Construction will permeate throughout the western portions of the Gold District?  Seems like a largely blank industrial canvas.

I can’t believe developers haven’t taken advantage of the clear skyline views from the Western Gold District Area yet.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I agree with @KJHburg - Growth through Southend is incredible.  I drove down S.Tryon from Uptown to the Scaleybark Station Area and its amazing.  I only go to Southend like once every two or three months.

At this current pace of growth how much longer does Southend (Upper) have until full buildout?  Buildable lots seem to be going fast and Traffic seems to be at a breaking point during peak AM/PM hours.

Anyone think High-Rise or Mid-Rise Construction will permeate throughout the western portions of the Gold District?  Seems like a largely blank industrial canvas.

I can’t believe developers haven’t taken advantage of the clear skyline views from the Western Gold District Area yet.

There are still several undeveloped or under-developed lots between Carson and uptown, but I can't imagine those will stay that way for too much longer.  Once those are filled up, though, I think @kermit is right that the stick built stuff will gradually be replaced with taller buildings.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

https://www.charlottemagazine.com/guide-the-growing-skyline-in-charlottes-south-end/

See "Mystery Spectrum Project" This will be the first spillover into the Gold District.

"In July 2019, local development firm The Spectrum Cos. successfully rezoned 2.16 acres at the corner of Mint Street and Carson Boulevard. The parcel sits at the nexus of uptown, South End and the Gold District, and thanks to its location, could bear a fairly high-density or mixed-use development. Spectrum has not yet disclosed its plans for this parcel, but the high profile nature of the parcel, could lead to another fixture of the growing South End skyline."

As far as "How much longer until full buildout" goes... I actually think that virtually no building is sacred. 

Everything in Blue is current projects. 

I'd say nothing in pink is sacred. If South End is destined to become Uptown. Nothing in these spaces are historic, or "the highest or best use.

I'd say green is a while from doing anything. Should Pipe & Foundry actually sell everything, that could change quickly. I've noted TWC in green as well, since, they have a lot of "hard to move" equipment supposedly, and just renovated.

Things I've left out are either realized, historic, or have too may owners. 

image.png

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ Some of the stick built podium crap is gonna get torn down before you know it.

I would be willing to bet large sums of money that barring any structural issues not a single wood frame deal in south end will be demolished within the next 15 years

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

I would be willing to bet large sums of money that barring any structural issues not a single wood frame deal in south end will be demolished within the next 15 years

I would only sort of agree. I would say the small one on Catherine might be fair game, but beyond that no.

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

Sort of surprised you put the Grainger on Mint St in green.  Is there a story behind that one that would keep it in place?  Always thought that was a prime piece of land for apartments or townhouses.

Oops, no, actually I forgot to make it pink. 

from a subscriber article about a developer plans for hotel(s) in Southend.  With all the corporate office growth hotels are sure to follow and it is a nice place to stay for a weekend.  

So we have the Holiday Inn Express opened and the 200 room hotel planned at Spectrum's Vantage Southend.

here are 3 more possibilities.

""OmShera Hotel Group recently filed a rezoning petition for a site at South Boulevard and South Caldwell streets, which sits on the edge of Dilworth, and documents filed with the city show OmShera is separately eyeing a site in South End on Hawkins Street for a project. Kush Anandani, director at OmShera, said details such as number of rooms and hotel brand are still to be determined for both projects but the intention is to build hotels on both sides, potentially with ground-floor retail space that's separate from the hotel.   The South Boulevard site currently up for rezoning contains an old fire station built in the 1950s. Anandani said OmShera is evaluating whether it can repurpose parts of the building, which was being considered for a converted retail use some years ago, but those plans never came to fruition.  The Hawkins Street site, a rectangular-shaped parcel next to Krispy Kreme's corporate office, is today home to pottery supplier and studio Carolina Clay Connection. ""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/12/04/charlotte-hotel-developer-plans-to-double-down-on.html

""Also on deck is a 135-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel on the edge of Dilworth, at East Worthington and Cleveland avenues. The project may go through another round of permitting before OmShera breaks ground, likely sometime in January.""

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

As far as "How much longer until full buildout" goes... I actually think that virtually no building is sacred. 

I'd say nothing in pink is sacred. If South End is destined to become Uptown. Nothing in these spaces are historic, or "the highest or best use.

I'd say green is a while from doing anything. Should Pipe & Foundry actually sell everything, that could change quickly. I've noted TWC in green as well, since, they have a lot of "hard to move" equipment supposedly, and just renovated.

What about the building / lot at the corner of Summit and Church?  Too many owners or a tenant with a long term lease?

image.png.d379534ebb8ba0a153f68ffddf99145f.png

18 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

What about the building / lot at the corner of Summit and Church?  Too many owners or a tenant with a long term lease?

image.png.d379534ebb8ba0a153f68ffddf99145f.png

Ah, I missed one. I'm working on refining this today, I did this map in 10 min lol

10 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Please don't tear down the firehouse. :tw_bawling:

The OG Firehouse is across the street, this one is from 1958. 

18 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.png

Strawn development is the whole bottom corner of this map view too

22 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

image.png

image.png.b083851761d6126eba013decaf670bdf.png

This block is the most confusing to me.  It would seem to be the best spot for a building and seeing it when I come down 277 everyday is sad.  It is just a ragtag bunch of small buildings.  How has it not developed in to something a little more exciting that tailors to football games seems strange.  Compared to the area around say coors field in Denver (below).  Not to mention it is a short walk straight down Church to the middle of uptown.  Anyone have some info regarding that land?  Perhaps a side effect of the highway?

image.png.a0fa00d69f88a804bc2778c795d23fde.png

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, t_money said:

image.png.b083851761d6126eba013decaf670bdf.png

This block is the most confusing to me.  It would seem to be the best spot for a building and seeing it when I come down 277 everyday is sad.  It is just a ragtag bunch of small buildings.  How has it not developed in to something a little more exciting that tailors to football games seems strange.  Compared to the area around say coors field in Denver (below).  Not to mention it is a short walk straight down Church to the middle of uptown.  Anyone have some info regarding that land?  Perhaps a side effect of the highway?

image.png.a0fa00d69f88a804bc2778c795d23fde.png

Actually you said exactly why it hasn't been developed in your response. "It is just a ragtag bunch of small buildings." but it's also a ragtag bunch of owners. Its also separated by a street, who's ROW would need to be abandoned. 

As far as building something " a little more exciting that tailors to football games" goes, thats something that only happens 8 days a year, vs. Coors Field, which is utilized 90 days a year. You can't built a district to support football. Now Football, Soccer, Concerts, on the other hand, maybe so.

A decent bit of it is owned by Whiteside Industrial, who plans on turning the Morehead frontage into a restaurant row. From what I understand they have had a few high level conversations over the years, BUT nothing has gone through. Should have some big news about these spaces soon. For reference, Whiteside is responsible for Seoul Food, Unknown, Craft, the new adaptive reuse on Bland, and others, they do good work and with new MF projects underway (Alliance Broadstone, 1120 Mint and Spectrum I believe will be MF), I think they will be getting a lot of traction soon.

Edited by Guest