SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^ the interior courtyard to right of the photo has the pool deck which has an uptown view. I am assuming the other courtyard to the left has some sort of amenities too.  By this design they can get more units as they have all to have exterior windows and most with balconies. 

I’m sure if this was shaped like the letter “C” with the entire courtyard open to Uptown Views, they could put the same amount of units, if not they could have gone up a floor. And yes they could still do one more floor with a wood frame (6) to have the exact same amount of units. 

3 hours ago, j-man said:

I’m sure if this was shaped like the letter “C” with the entire courtyard open to Uptown Views, they could put the same amount of units, if not they could have gone up a floor. And yes they could still do one more floor with a wood frame (6) to have the exact same amount of units. 

Can you do 6 with wood?  I thought it was just 5 floors of wood over 2 levels of podium (which is what they have here it looks like). 

5 hours ago, VTinCV said:

Can you do 6 with wood?  I thought it was just 5 floors of wood over 2 levels of podium (which is what they have here it looks like). 

I’ve always thought 6 was the max with wood. If not, then they still could have found a better way to lay this one out in my opinion 

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

If you want to get technical - and who doesn't - you can not build with combustible structure (ie, wood frame) above 70 ft from grade. Wood frame is also limited to 4 stories, so you can build the top four floors with wood frame and the bottom (how ever many stories you can make fit) with a concrete podium. 

Hmm.  Who made this rule?  Can builders not build properly anymore? Come see the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego.  All wood structure.  The second largest wood structure in the U.S., it's seven stories tall and still standing after 132 years.

9-railroad-hotels-hotel-del-coronado.jpg

Hotel-del-Coronado.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

It's in the international building code (upon which the North Carolina building code is based).

There are a couple of issues. The first is that today's 2x4s* are smaller and less strong than 2x4s of yester-century. The second is that construction like Coronado has proven to be generally deadly. Coronado has always had plenty of cash to upgrade life safety systems, including sprinklers and proper exits. They're an exception to the rule. 

Modern building codes have virtually eliminated deaths in commercial fires compared to what used to be.

*For those not in the industry, this is not an exaggeration. The accepted size today is 1.5" x 3.5", it used to be closer to true 2x4.

That's very informative.  Thanks!  And very interesting that "today's 2x4s* are smaller and less strong than 2x4s of yester-century."

Just now, JacksonH said:

That's very informative.  Thanks!  And very interesting that "today's 2x4s* are smaller and less strong than 2x4s of yester-century."

That’s very true.  Today’s building codes have greatly improved things towards safety even though current 2x4s are not as robust as yesteryears!  And for the final time, in the US or at least NC specifically - 5 Story wood framed structures are as high as that can currently be permitted. To get higher typically developers will build a reinforced Concrete Podium around 1 to 2 stories high and go with 5 stories wood framed on top.

• Like 2

In some cities, such as Chicago, you can't build such huge mega block structures out of wood. Everything has to be brick or cinder block. They have had these rules in place since the Chicago Fire. These huge wood buildings can be death traps if they catch on fire

I was one floor off but thanks everyone. Maybe it’s just me but I think developers and/or architects should try and put other factors first instead of cost because so many apartments fall short for me dealing with the height requirements among other things. There are countless examples of poorly designed apartments in Charlotte. Some have parking taller than the units, parking exposed and poorly hidden or covered, and some are just shaped odd but I get it. It’s all a business. 

Edited by j-man

15 hours ago, j-man said:

I was one floor off but thanks everyone. Maybe it’s just me but I think developers and/or architects should try and put other factors first instead of cost because so many apartments fall short for me dealing with the height requirements among other things. There are countless examples of poorly designed apartments in Charlotte. Some have parking taller than the units, parking exposed and poorly hidden or covered, and some are just shaped odd but I get it. It’s all a business. 

As an architect who has spent years working on apartment buildings in the past, I can tell you we love it when a developer comes along who is more concerned with aesthetic creativity than cost. But that's pretty rare. Developers are generally in it to make money (which, whatever, fine, that's their reason for being in business) and the good ones know their costs and needed profit on a large apartment building down to the cent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

As an architect who has spent years working on apartment buildings in the past, I can tell you we love it when a developer comes along who is more concerned with aesthetic creativity than cost. But that's pretty rare. Developers are generally in it to make money (which, whatever, fine, that's their reason for being in business) and the good ones know their costs and needed profit on a large apartment building down to the cent.

I bet! I’ve always wanted to be an architect but I truly care about the design aspect moreso than the engineering. Lol and don’t get me wrong Charlotte has many great designed apartments but I feel like they are not in common areas of town like SouthEnd and Uptown. They are ok but I would never sit and want them to look as many of them do. I think with the shift of populations growing cities at record numbers, Design is put on the back burner which is sad because all US cities are starting to look the same with bland apartments. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

What's the possibility of any potential projects down this stretch of Tryon between Elder gallery and Tremont? I could see some slightly dense residential on the empty lots and businesses. 

I still say everyone has a price when the millions start rollin in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Cpink said:

Awesome shot... how cool would it be if they demolished all of the buildings in the lot to the right of dimensional place and made it into a much needed park? I can only wish! 

Isn't there a park being built 2 blocks further past Dimensional? Or did I get flipped-turned upside down? 

• Like 4