SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

4 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Isn't there a park being built 2 blocks further past Dimensional? Or did I get flipped-turned upside down? 

Yes - Yes and No.  The park is directly adjacent to the Square at Southend Project currently under construction at West Blvd & S. Tryon but the park itself will be constructed at a later date (couple years probably) by Mecklenburg County.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

56 minutes ago, nicholas said:

Nah quit joking man, that's definitely Charlotte

LOL.  No, I'm not joking.  But to be honest the city is in the process of getting rid of these power lines and I am NOT happy.  These lines run through alleys and are not visible from street, so why should anyone care?  Meanwhile there are no street lights in the neighborhood other than along the business district.  So dark streets in the residential area, an invitation for crime.  Instead of addressing that situation, their priority is taking down these unseen power lines and digging ditches to our homes, for the new lines, which will mean cutting through my patio, deck, and sprinkler lines.  I am completely P.O.'d about it.  Be careful what you ask for.  (Personally, I never asked for this.)

Edited by JacksonH

Tupelo Honey closing its South End location according to Charlotte Agenda: 

"TUPELO HONEY SOUTH END CLOSING: The popular Asheville brunch spot Tupelo Honey is closing its doors after seven years in South End. Its last day will be February 26, according to a statement from the restaurant Thursday. A new Tupelo Honey will open in Uptown on March 16 at 101 South Tryon.
BACKGROUND: Last fall, the 2-acre South End property that includes Tupelo Honey and The Manchester was sold to a joint venture between the Florida developer Stiles and the California real estate firm Shorenstein Properties. The two companies plan to build a 23-story tower at the site, which is at the East/West Station off South Boulevard. Construction on the project is supposed to begin this year. Tupelo Honey management cited the "significant construction" of the development as one reason it'll close in South End.
CEO: "While we always planned to operate two restaurants in Charlotte, the decision to relocate to Uptown allows us to introduce our brand to newcomers and immerse ourselves into a new neighborhood, while also showing our appreciation to those that have supported us over the years,” said Stephen Frabitore, CEO and owner of Tupelo Honey."

4 minutes ago, Cpink said:

Tupelo Honey closing its South End location according to Charlotte Agenda: 

"TUPELO HONEY SOUTH END CLOSING: The popular Asheville brunch spot Tupelo Honey is closing its doors after seven years in South End. Its last day will be February 26, according to a statement from the restaurant Thursday. A new Tupelo Honey will open in Uptown on March 16 at 101 South Tryon.
BACKGROUND: Last fall, the 2-acre South End property that includes Tupelo Honey and The Manchester was sold to a joint venture between the Florida developer Stiles and the California real estate firm Shorenstein Properties. The two companies plan to build a 23-story tower at the site, which is at the East/West Station off South Boulevard. Construction on the project is supposed to begin this year. Tupelo Honey management cited the "significant construction" of the development as one reason it'll close in South End.
CEO: "While we always planned to operate two restaurants in Charlotte, the decision to relocate to Uptown allows us to introduce our brand to newcomers and immerse ourselves into a new neighborhood, while also showing our appreciation to those that have supported us over the years,” said Stephen Frabitore, CEO and owner of Tupelo Honey."

I don't even know why they bothered to claim they'd keep both open. 

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Biz Journal preview of the new Charlotte Beer Garden opening next week (possible UP meetup site next to active construction projects)

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/02/21/photos-sneak-peek-at-charlotte-beer-garden-in.html

The pic that Charlotte agenda posted of the upscale corn dogs was hilarious.  The beer garden itself looks awesome but Johnson and Wales founders would be rolling in their graves. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jjwilli said:

It really bugs me how sterile this sidewalk is on South Tryon. Beautiful building, everything else is great. This sidewalk is a fail.

Maybe being a perpetual optimist will get me sniped for this opinion, but I like what the Tryon side of this building implies, and that is the fact the building is built on such a limited space, and is utilizing this frankly tiny lot that might have otherwise been used for a few dozen apartments efficiently. They could have taken more of the core for parking to utilize this side for retail, or they could have put the parking deck wall, and loading dock, on the other side, but I fail to see how a "better" development could've used this lot. We ended up with out modern equivalent to the Flatiron Building and I love it, I am cautiously optimistic that whatever utilizes the empty, and much larger parcel across the street will make up for the dead zone on Tryon. Maybe some art will spruce it up. 

• Like 4