SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

American Apparel is apparantly closing or has already closed on Camden :( I was really hoping they would make it, as they and niche are probably two of the best examples of urban retail in the city.

I hate that they are closing, but I have to be honest, I tried shopping there and thought their clothes were cheap looking (yet expensive for what they were) and overall just not worth all the hype. You can find plain t-shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, etc anywhere.

Sad that South End is losing a great brand. First the Bee Man and now this! j/k.

Anyway, agree with Charlotte_Native. I've shopped there a few times but found it hard to justify the price/value. Good quality material (and made in the USA), but for plain Jane style I'll shop elsewhere and save a bunch of dough.

Another recession/depression victim, I guess.

BTW, I don't think it got a mention, but the Bee Man space is already occupied by another interior furnishing company. Looks like some pretty cool stuff, actually, but I haven't been in.

It's called Spenzac and it's actually not a new store - it just moved from a few doors down into a bigger space. It used to be on Summit within the same physical building.

So in a typical Charlotte move, they have erected a fence around Ashton Southend. They make so many great steps toward an urban feel, and then pull the usual Suburban Charlotte crap out. Will it ever end?

you can see the fence here.

http://oxblue.com/pro/open/?webPath=waynebros/ashton

The Ashton has been a major disappointment. It went from having some great retail potential and being a good terminus to Camden St to being not much better than a suburban garden apartment complex.

Well, I would tend to believe you since I don't think the workers would be privy to all these machinations, regardless I hope it does not go vacant longterm.

Actually I would think they'd be very privy, because if the camden workers new they were being laid off they would be going to other stores looking for jobs. We'll just have to see what happens.

The Ashton site @ Ashtonse.com is well done. They certainly were not stingy on the amenities : Screening Room, Demonstration Kitchen, Sky Lounge, Business Center, Lobby Club Room with Flat Screens and Wifi, Gym, I am sure I am missing something. It will be interesting to see how fast they fill up. The residents should give a nice boost to Pikes and the other nearby places.

The Ashton site @ Ashtonse.com is well done. They certainly were not stingy on the amenities : Screening Room, Demonstration Kitchen, Sky Lounge, Business Center, Lobby Club Room with Flat Screens and Wifi, Gym, I am sure I am missing something. It will be interesting to see how fast they fill up. The residents should give a nice boost to Pikes and the other nearby places.

The nearby businesses are excited about this place being complete and the other upcoming projects that are nearing completion. Hundreds of new potential customers within 3 blocks will make a huge impact on the district.

I just got an email from the center city partners - The Common Market is opening on April Fool's day! The deli won't be open unti April 13, but I am glad to see this finally happening! Had me worried there for a little while.

Edited by ScottCLT

I just got an email from the center city partners - The Common Market is opening on April Fool's day! The deli won't be open unti April 13, but I am glad to see this finally happening! Had me worried there for a little while.

April 1st? Center City Partners is not cruel enough to pull a joke on everyone like that are they?

Glad to hear this is happening!

I really like the way that the main entrance is through the alley on Camden and not via the parking lot. It looks like you can still park and go through the parking entrance, but their ads say to enter via the alleyway. They have been at work again for the past few days inside for the opening tomorrow. I got so excited about hearing about it yesterday that I had to go to PM location today to get a samich - just had a craving for CM. Luckily it will soon be closer to me (I can see it out of my window!!). I really hope that they incorporate a wine bar like they did in the PM location. That will help it become a community hub even more.