SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

On 7/2/2020 at 1:55 PM, gman430 said:

Crane city...

default.jpg

What's with this new building on the corner of Tryon and West?  The prominent corner at the main intersection of the lot is just a giant concrete slab wall of the parking garage.  Its so hidious and when I drive by it I question why it is like this?  So the office can be half a block closer to the light rail?  

Edit: looked at some of the rendering on their site. I guess the garage will be wrapped with apartments, but I can't imagine there is enough room on the side of West or Tryon for that? I guess it will look good from the other side but I wonder about the main street side.

image.png.b98b628b761b524db41c8523f804e0e8.png

Edited by t_money
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, t_money said:

What's with this new building on the corner of Tryon and West?  The prominent corner at the main intersection of the lot is just a giant concrete slab wall of the parking garage.  Its so hidious and when I drive by it I question why it is like this?  So the office can be half a block closer to the light rail?  

that parking deck will be wrapped with apartments as across  Tryon street is mainly residential save the first location of Bojangles ever. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, t_money said:

Edit: looked at some of the rendering on their site. I guess the garage will be wrapped with apartments, but I can't imagine there is enough room on the side of West or Tryon for that? I guess it will look good from the other side but I wonder about the main street side.

image.png.b98b628b761b524db41c8523f804e0e8.png

Its not because of the light rail, though honestly probably yes, but current zoning would keep something as tall as Square from being directly across from single family. 

I'd be concerned they are leaning pretty heavily into the "Modern Mercantile Styling," which will likely be dated in about 10 years and the HOA will need to spend $$$ on revamping spaces to keep property values up. It won't necessarily be a "timeless" dated either. For a building people are buying in, I also think they could have made the outside a little bit more interesting rather than an L shaped box.

It is good that more properties are being made available for the purchase buyer rather than just apartment dwellers. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

Those will all sell extremely fast

I’d like to see that. Tbh I’m thinking about putting a deposit down myself. The more folks I have talked to this weekend and doing sales comps these are priced remarkably average I have found. Still mentally working through the HOA $ and no amenities. We shall see.

11 hours ago, navigator319 said:

I’d like to see that. Tbh I’m thinking about putting a deposit down myself. The more folks I have talked to this weekend and doing sales comps these are priced remarkably average I have found. Still mentally working through the HOA $ and no amenities. We shall see.

The ones over by the Taco Bell on South completely sold out preconstruction. Was talking to the builder about them. They had issues selling the Quad-plex but those prices were 480-750 for 1200 to 2100 sqft. They still ended p selling them all.

So confused by Charlotte real estate.  Yes, South End is nice.  But at these prices for such cheap-looking construction?  I mean, South End is no international destination.   There's no "entertainment row," no festive corridor, not even a signature park or plaza as far as I can tell...  So baffling.  Is walkability such a rarity in Charlotte that any place that appears to be the least bit walkable and pedestrian-oriented suddenly becomes Charlotte's version of London's Soho district?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

So confused by Charlotte real estate.  Yes, South End is nice.  But at these prices for such cheap-looking construction?  I mean, South End is no international destination.   There's no "entertainment row," no festive corridor, not even a signature park or plaza as far as I can tell...  So baffling.  Is walkability such a rarity in Charlotte that any place that appears to be the least bit walkable and pedestrian-oriented suddenly becomes Charlotte's version of London's Soho district?

spot on

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RANYC said:

This is absolutely true. In comparison to hundreds of other similarly sized cities Southend is Completely unremarkable. But our lack of walkability causes whatever mediocre neighborhoods we have to be overpriced. More transit development and better TOD (Making more walkability) is the only way to address this ridiculous pricing situation.

Why does no one ever think supply and demand applies to infill development???

• Like 1

I mean, it's all relative.  It's relatively highest price, because it's the most walkable, highest density of amenities that younger people look for in the Charlotte region.

SoHo London is 5x-6x more expensive on an absolute basis.  Does it provide 5-6x the lifestyle experience?  I'm sure to some, but many others would say South End is a comparitive bargain.

• Like 3

Didn't mean to compare Soho and South End.  Was more just making a point.  It's the price trend in South End (and City Center) versus other parts of the region that seems so outlandish.  I don't see enough of a cachet with center city living to compel the kind of spread in price trends compared with neighborhoods ex-city center.  Center city isn't on the bayfront, not on the riverfront, not alongside or in view of the beach, not surrounded by mountain-scapes, not on the peninsula, not on an island, not comprised of some compelling architectural thread, not dense with historical building stock...

Charlotte is a very nice place to live.  It's  a landlocked region with few defining and stand-out landmarks or features, so when I see the kind of disparities in price trend that I'm seeing, I become a bit flummoxed.  At the end of the day, I may be engaging in the futile attempt to make sense of a market moment...a baseless exuberance that will need time to resolve itself.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2020 at 11:02 AM, RANYC said:

Its precast concrete with 11 foot ceilings. Thats not cheap construction. It will be a very quiet, very sturdy condo, and they'll be able to piece the building together in a matter of months, and will be able to recreate nearly the same format in 6 different places in Charlotte. I think they are genius.

Edited by Guest