SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

On 2/7/2021 at 7:08 PM, Phillydog said:

Absolutely.  Even Georgians will admit this.  Charlotte is setting an example for the US -- it hardly get any props though, which is partly a failing of North Carolina in general.  Unlike our neighbors we aren't bloviators.  A valley of humility between two mountains of conceit...  Charlotte rocks. 

Charlotte is cut from the same New South boosterism cloth as Atlanta, and it has paid off. Reputations and state mottos from the 18th century have become a bit outdated I'd say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here here. Our state motto has always been the shiz. When the Colbert Report ran on Comedy Central, the back of the set read, "Esse videri quam." Sly little flip-flop. I always felt I was the only person that noticed. Yeah, Colbert is genius. 

Edited by DownEast
Addition of shiz
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 11:36 AM, kermit said:

:offtopic:

You guys have hit on my favorite plan for improving  NC's future prospects. Making the Charlotte-Greensboro (plus Winston)-Raleigh corridor into a single labor market using rail would make the urban crescent globally competitive for attracting talent and knowledge industries. It is also an opportunity to reduce carbon outputs and to create more sustainable cities.

The 2009 ARRA grant built the Charlotte-Greensboro tracks up to 110mph top speed specs (NCDOT has decided not to pay to maintain them at that speed level so 89mph is the best we get currently). This would make travel time between CLT-Gboro under an hour and Gboro-Raleigh less than 50 minutes (tracks east of Greensboro would still need substantial upgrades). These travel times would make daily commutes between Greensboro and the two endpoints totally doable (and a good bit shorter than many rail commuters accept in NYC, Boston, Chicago and DC)

In terms of Gross Metropolitan Product, a unified NC Crescent (all the metro areas between Charlotte and Raleigh) would produce $419 billion worth of stuff annually. This would rank us as the 12th largest metro economy, just behind Atlanta and just ahead of Miami. [Charlotte is currently the 21st largest metro economy ($178 billion per year)]

More importantly, yolking these metro's together with high-frequency passenger rail service would:

• Improve economies in the in between areas (including Greensboro) thanks to some workers in Charlotte and the Triangle seeking out smaller town living along the rail
  • Lower the cost of living for many without increasing carbon outputs.
  • Allow for more interaction between the arts and design communities in the Triad with the R&D and manufacturing communities of Charlotte and Raleigh.
  • Create better connections between the Triangles R&D and Charlotte's finance
  • Connect Charlotte's new medical school with medical research clusters in Winston and the Triangle (Winston rail connector would need improvements)

Without some type of improvement like this, NC's cities are going to choke on traffic, be shunned by the global talent pool (most won't know we exist), and get weighted down by low-wage manufacturing jobs.

Charlotte to Raleigh is a bit too far for robust daily commute flows (even by 110mph rail) but daily commuting from Greensboro to either endpoint is totally feasible. It would look a great deal like the urban system in Switzerland (lots of rail commuting from Zurich (finance) to Basel (R&D) and Basel to Geneva (Service / Global hub). This commuting is done at sub-110mph speeds (Switzerland does not have HSR).  Our equivalent rail network is already half built, all we gotta do is make a few remaining improvements to make it to happen.

/rant/

image.png.0754afda4e8f9cc29fb4b4427fce133a.png

I'm really sorry for continuing this off topic discussion but it's something I love to think about. 

The entire Piedmont region from Charlotte, to the triad, to the triangle, even down to Fayetteville is growing together. They're expanding a lot of the more rural areas' infrastructure that have prime real estate to have good development among the more dense population centers. Widening roads, increasing rural public transit for moderately populated areas, adding bypasses. 

The new high speed rail will be great for the region and the improvements to the road infrastructure will help these communities as well as having THREE growing international airports as well as other growing regional hubs. 

I'm excited for the future of central NC. 

• Like 4

On 3/4/2021 at 8:25 PM, KJHburg said:

IMG_3263.JPG

And this is why I hate gentrification! This neighborhood like all others have so much charm and character and people just move in and build these bland houses just for a quick buck that don’t fit in with the rest of the neighborhood. Among all of the other issues dealing with gentrification. It’s either these extremely modern homes or the same ole cookie cutter cheap material made homes. Ugh

• Like 4

3 hours ago, j-man said:
On 3/4/2021 at 8:25 PM, KJHburg said:

IMG_3263.JPG

And this is why I hate gentrification! This neighborhood like all others have so much charm and character and people just move in and build these bland houses just for a quick buck that don’t fit in with the rest of the neighborhood. Among all of the other issues dealing with gentrification. It’s either these extremely modern homes or the same ole cookie cutter cheap material made homes. Ugh

I have no problem with this house.  It's  not winning any architecture awards but I think homes can be representative of the contemporary even in the context of a mature neighborhood. I mean the home to the right is likely 1900-1920's and at that time it wasn't required to consider the aesthetic of 100 years prior when it was built. I say all this assuming that a historically significant and or contributing structure was not removed to make way for this house. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, j-man said:

I get that but gentrification nowadays is literally driven by money hungry and greedy developers and realtors who don’t care about architecture as you can see. I’m sure 100 years ago houses were built with more thought put  into it. Specifically how homes in certain cities have their own identity separate from others. A house in Manhattan looked different from a house in Miami, or different in a San Francisco vs a Charleston, or a home in D.C. looked different from a Savannah. That’s my point. And now every singe city is building the same exact homes. I’ve seen this exact design in New Orleans, to Orlando, to Houston, and I’m like....wow every city is losing a big part of what separates them from the each other. And that’s their architecture. 

It the sameness doesn't stop at Houston.  Sometimes I do a double take looking at pictures posted in this forum because I see new buildings going up in Charlotte that look nearly identical to buildings going up here in San Diego, or new buildings I see when I'm in the D.C. area.  It used to be more interesting traveling this country because each city and region had its own architectural character.  But now we're losing that.  The whole country is starting to look the same, which is all the more reason Charlotte needs to preserve those old brick mills and warehouses and homes, and have new construction designed along the lines of the Rail Yard and Lowes, which convey that same feeling and aesthetics.  Those buildings look like Charlotte.  All those five-story apartment buildings look like Anywhere U.S.A.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I blame Pinterest.   Greedy Developers will build whatever Instagram Posting Millennials want.

Edit for slight elaboration: We live in a far more "global" society than 100 years ago, where we are now curated styles we are expected to appreciate by algorithms examining our social network and viewing history (as opposed to walking around town and seeing what the neighbors did)   We've been accelerating towards this for 20 years and the era individualized homogeneity is here in housing and every other aspect of life.

I definitely agree with this! Globalization is seen now more than ever. It has some positives to it but many negatives. I say bring back the individualness of things. And chain restaurants are honestly out of control. I saw a list of fast food restaurants and how many locations they have nationwide and so many of them had between 1000 to 10,000 locations....literally there are over 8,000 Starbucks and 14,000 McDonald’s in the U.S. That’s insane! Ugh :o

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, j-man said:

I get that but gentrification nowadays is literally driven by money hungry and greedy developers and realtors who don’t care about architecture as you can see. I’m sure 100 years ago houses were built with more thought put  into it. Specifically how homes in certain cities have their own identity separate from others. A house in Manhattan looked different from a house in Miami, or different in a San Francisco vs a Charleston, or a home in D.C. looked different from a Savannah. That’s my point. And now every singe city is building the same exact homes. I’ve seen this exact design in New Orleans, to Orlando, to Houston, and I’m like....wow every city is losing a big part of what separates them from the each other. And that’s their architecture. Tbh this picture at fist glance looks like the photo from an article I read about gentrification in Austin. And don’t even get me started on these apartments. 

Have you ever thought that the only reason houses were built with "so much thought" is because every single piece was milled, poured, baked, smelt, chopped, soldered with 10 fingers, two hands, and one brain? Now its done on an assembly line, by massive teams that figure out the "cheapest" and "most efficient" ways to do things? To recreate a brownstone or an east village row house from NYC in Charlotte would cost millions. Regionalism in architecture existed because we were a regionalistic society. Now we are worldly.

Edited by The Real Clayton
  • Like 3