SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I went to the new Common Market tonight. Very cool spot, and I imagine it will become a hub in SouthEnd. Surprisingly, the shelves were only halfway stocked - they were still stocking them at 6:30 tonight. Many shelves were totally empty. Nevertheless, there was plenty of beer and wine. In between the alleyway and the actual store, there's an outdoor patio with some tables (hopefully more coming) and a few cool benches made from sawed-in-half canoes (not in operation yet with "do no sit" signs present). The patio was a happening spot, though - buy your beer/wine inside, and drink it outside (or inside, if you like, but everyone was on the patio tonight). There were 20 or so people just hanging out on the patio having a drink or a sandwich. Speaking of sandwiches, the deli is not yet open, but they do have pre-made sandwiches (I am guessing from the PM location). The inside is funky, but more modern than the PM location - definitely not a typical convenience store experience. Product-wise, there all the funky potato/pita chips, tofurkey, interesting sodas and fruit drinks, crazy import and small brewery beers, and a ton of reasonably priced wine (though it seemed a bit less reasonable than the PM store - but as I said, the shelves were half-empty).

The hours are 7am-12pm Sunday-Thursday, and 7am-2am Friday and Saturday. I can't tell you how exciting it is to live a few blocks away from this place. Even when I lived uptown, getting any groceries (even if it's just the basics) was impossible after 11:00. This certainly doesn't replace a grocery store for me, but if I want to grab a Diet Coke or if I run out of toilet paper or paper towels or milk, etc. at midnight, at least I don't have to drive to get it. And plus, it's nice and convenient for a beer run :) .

I am so happy to have this place in SouthEnd. I hope it thrives. I will certainly be a patron at least every couple days. If they put some more tables out on the patio, then this will really be a great gathering spot. I could definitely see an acoustic act on the patio for a little after-work get together. Can't wait to check it out again in a few days when the rest of the shelves are stocked.

I guess I got there late with some friends...we were about the only people there and we closed the place out at 12am. I really do like the back patio...as it is much more spacious than the PM location. Hopefully this place will pick up steam and people will stick around til closing at midnight like they do in PM.

Swung by American Apparel after getting lunch at CM and asked for the "real dilly". They said they don't have any plans to move, HOWEVER, since opening the South Park store the South End location has seen its business cut in half. Obviously this is not sustainable, and they're hoping the addition of CM plus all the new apartments coming on-line soon will make up for the drop in business.

Buy local!

I noticed today that there are dozens of industrial buildings for sale along Mint and adjoining streets. Seems to me that they would be great candidates for future stores, cafes, or residential space. Would be nice if Camden's vibe eventually spread a few blocks in. Townhouses are already there.

OK, I feel stupid. This whole time, I had no idea there were townhouses tucked away on Bland. I just noticed today for the first time. I do remember someone mentioning the apartment complex being constructed beside the townhouses, behind the Charlotte Catholic Diocese building though.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some pictures of Circle at SouthEnd

DSC06149.jpg

DSC06150.jpg

DSC06151.jpg

DSC06154.jpg

Great photos of the most under photographed project in Charlotte. Did you happen to get a picture of millenium?

Edited by Guest

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but the inside of Ashton Southend is very nice. I toured it last weekend. The ammenities were very nice, but the pool on the top floor is not ready yet. The interiors and finishes inside the units rival Avenue, Trademark, and 230 S Tryon in my opinion. They are running a special right now on their 850sf 1brs units for $999/mo. Also the staff and security there were exceptionally friendly.

Edited by WestCoastNC

I think this one is dead. The corner lot by Simpson's was graveled over for cheap surface parking. And they wouldn't be releasing the Simpson's building if this development was on the horizon.

My thinking was the same. I'm wondering if someone knows for sure... If it is, I'd like to see this building reused... Not sure in what fashion, but would rather not see it serve as a gravel lot with $2 parking.

I would imagine they may let someone lease the building until the economy improves. they may redevelop the sight a few years down the road possibly.

And the winner is...

Not so say something couldn't change for this site, but it is currently on hold with plans to resume. This is true for many sites aquired in the past couple years -- better to have some income and hold off in a bad economy. Again, doesn't mean time won't change plans, but this is the plan for now.

Edited by Charlotte_native

• 2 weeks later...

A "soccer" sports bar will be opening in South End sometime this year (late summer I think). It will be called Hooligans and be in the Camden Row building at the corner of Camden and West Blvd.

You have seriously just made my week. That is awesome!

*fingers crossed*no smoking*fingers crossed*

Mecklenburg County can't pass a no smoking ordinance. The way South Carolina's laws work, its left up to each city or county government to decide whether or not to implement those laws. In North Carolina, the local governments do not have that luxury, but the smoke-free legislation seems to be gaining some traction in Raleigh. Hopefully it will pass this go around.

Back on topic.... I was driving down South Tryon/Bland/South Blvd and I've decided that the Circle isn't bad on the eyes. The brick/sheet metal look works pretty well in SouthEnd. Plus there is little, if any, stucco.