SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

28 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

Don't they own the land? They always have a line out the door, I image they aren't selling anytime soon. 

The owner of Prices is retirement age and sitting on one hell of a nice retirement property (4 parcels on the Chicken Coop property).  Sell the land, sell the name and spend the rest of your days counting your money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Don't they own the land? They always have a line out the door, I image they aren't selling anytime soon. 

Apparently soil samples were being taken in Price's parking lot. Saw that somewhere on Twitter. I need to go back and find it.....

Edit: I found it 

Edited by norm21499
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, RANYC said:

Your generalizations about the activities of South End denizens aside, I think one could make an argument for prioritizing streetscape upgrades in SE over competing sidewalk needs in other areas of the city.

The case must first rest, however, on acknowledging and accepting South End as the southern region of our Central Business District ("CBD").  Typically, sidewalk problem or pedestrian impediments in a CBD get fixed asap, far faster than response times in the 'burbs.

Why? 

• Because CBDs are quite distinct in their density
  • CBDs are often major draws for concentrated sets of tourists/visitors to the city
  • CBDs are a key example of pedestrian priority zones, rare areas in our sunbelt city where pedestrian mobility actually takes priority over cars

Not saying this must happen tomorrow, but with the degree of CBD creep currently happening in South End, at some point we'll have a number of mid-to-high-rise and urban-style office and residential complexes, many of which install CBD-type adjacent streetscapes.  In order to create a contiguous pedestrian-prioritization infrastructure, we'll need to link the urban streetscape of these individual developments to create more of a unified environment.  

I agree with your assessment.  The City needs to get Sidewalks extended throughout Southend as soon as possible.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

Can anyone place the orientation of this building?

The best clue, to me, is that it looks like there are light rail tracks depicted in the lower left corner of the rendering, so I would say this represents the view from the NE, just across the tracks--but that's just my guess.

• Thanks 1

In that case this should combine with Portman to create a nice plaza type space off the rail trail with what looks to be a retail-lined pedestrian and/or service street connecting to Hawkins. These projects would compliment each other well I think.

14 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

In that case this should combine with Portman to create a nice plaza type space off the rail trail with what looks to be a retail-lined pedestrian and/or service street connecting to Hawkins. These projects would compliment each other well I think.

They are both portman projects, so you are correct.

10 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

This was super off (my) radar, but looks like Alliance Residential who did Broadstone Queen City in Morehead is about to start construction this year on a midrise at the Off Broadway Shoes site on South Blvd across from Taco Bell/Southbound.

I remember when the Off Broadway Shoes was one of the nicer and newer buildings in South End. How times have changed.

• Like 1