SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

2 hours ago, atlrvr said:

This was super off (my) radar, but looks like Alliance Residential who did Broadstone Queen City in Morehead is about to start construction this year on a midrise at the Off Broadway Shoes site on South Blvd across from Taco Bell/Southbound.

The shoe store is a bit suburban in its design, but the the frontage along South Blvd is nicely tree-lined and ultimately I haven't minded it along this stretch so much.  I would rather the Enterprise surface lot behind Alliance's existing Morehead apartment development get developed first.

3 hours ago, atlrvr said:

This was super off (my) radar, but looks like Alliance Residential who did Broadstone Queen City in Morehead is about to start construction this year on a midrise at the Off Broadway Shoes site on South Blvd across from Taco Bell/Southbound.

When we say midrise, do we mean a 7 story stick built? or something in the 12-15 range?

• Like 2

On 4/16/2021 at 2:30 PM, kermit said:

^ Hurray, hopefully will bring completion of that side of the rail trail!

According to the latest available aerials, this still leaves a gap behind Cannon Pharmacy and Auto Bell. Are there any plans to connect this final section? Could the new light rail station just north add this to its scope?

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 9.28.29 AM.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, theronhobbs said:

According to the latest available aerials, this still leaves a gap behind Cannon Pharmacy and Auto Bell. Are there any plans to connect this final section? Could the new light rail station just north add this to its scope?

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 9.28.29 AM.png

One thing that really bothers me in this picture is that the sidewalk along South Blvd is shifted into a different place in front of the Truliant building.....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

All new development in this stretch of South Blvd are required to have sidewalks further back to accommodate the long term streetscape plan.  I'm not sure what it includes (divided median on turn lane) or possibly just on-street parking.....the Off Broadway Shoe development will have sidewalks consistent with Truliant and the new apartments to the immediate south.

I wish that a huge portion of South Blvd had more on street parking. Hopefully that will be added in time. I think that on street parking can be used as a traffic calming measure for pedestrians.

• Like 3

Story about Southend market from CBRE featured in the Biz Journal. 

CBRE report details fast growth of South End, midtown. What's next? - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""Since 2010, 1.6 million square feet of office space delivered in South End, representing 58% of the current inventory. Because of all that new construction, office rental rates have seen tremendous growth. CBRE found asking rates increased 77% in the past decade, to $37.06 per square foot in the first quarter of 2021.""

""The office tenant mix in South End is notably different compared to uptown. CBRE found 60% of the CBD office market is in financial services and 29% of South End/midtown is leased to technology companies, the most of any sector.  Notably, South End's second-largest office leasing industry is financial services, which clocks in at 21% of the submarket. But rather than being defined by one industry, as uptown historically has, South End and midtown's leasing composition are more diversified, with tech leading the way.""

""On the multifamily front, CBRE found 7,600 apartments have been absorbed in South End and midtown since 2010, accounting for 12% of all sector demand in Charlotte. Apartment rents have also seen rapid growth: a 31% spike in the past decade. Rent averaged $1,725 per unit at the end of Q1.""

some highlights above. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

well the Portman apartment tower next to the Portman office tower, the building at East West and Lynx line which will be starting soon.  Cousins has something big up their sleeves too across from the railyard and I heard a tall apartment tower on Morehead too.  And a couple more I don't want to mention yet but rumor mill is churning and in 2 years there could be a "forest" of high rises in Southend. 

I am expecting more tall Apartment towers to be honest. That seems to be missing from both SouthEnd and Uptown. SouthEnd needs a condo tower or two as well, even if it is "luxury." Its missing that home type. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I just looked at their recent leasing brochure online it is all under letter of intent but one small space.  I think they they had this done previous to the pandemic but probably had to start all over.  So hopefully you will see some retailers restaurants opening soon of what I do not know. 

Thanks for the update KJ! I’ll keep you posted as soon as I see some activity over there. I’ve definitely been waiting for some retail to finally go in there!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...