SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Just a recap of towers NOT started yet in Southend:  new high rise at Suffolk Punch, the Walgreens (south and east blvd) apartment tower and separate office tower,  110 East office tower by Stiles,  mystery Cousins project across from Railyard office building and apartments,  2nd mystery office development by Cousins on W Tremont,  Loso station office towers 8-20 stories range and the Fallon tower on S Blvd.  Centre South. 

Missing anything let me know.  

Not to mention the at least 4 apartment towers along E Morehead and oh yeah the Medical school 

high-rise apartment tower next to portman square on current grounds of sycamore brewing, hotel tower atop parking garage at spectrum office development, and wasn't there a hotel announced right next to the railyard bldg across bland?

• Like 4

1 minute ago, RANYC said:

high-rise apartment tower next to portman square on current grounds of sycamore brewing, hotel tower atop parking garage at spectrum office development, and wasn't there a hotel announced right next to the railyard bldg across bland?

Yes on both and I knew I would miss a few.   Not heard much on that hotel at Bland and S Tryon so not so sure about it. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Yes on both and I knew I would miss a few.   Not heard much on that hotel at Bland and S Tryon so not so sure about it. 

That one is new to me too. I think the West Elm hotel by Lowes got cancelled. There is the Aloft by Lidl, but that won't be a tower. I supposed you could throw in the Enterprise Lot, as nothing has been announced but we all have heard the rumors. 

Also did the ABC lot ever get bought? 

Edited by Blue_Devil
  • Like 2

Yes the ABC lot got bought or is under contract from what I heard.  as for the hotel on that corner across the railyard I heard about that a long ago but with hotel financing so difficult right now it may be a parking lot for a little longer.  Business travel is SLOWLY coming back as a leisure traveller I got my best rates if I stay in a business park!   Yes the Enterprise tower is out there but since they have not really announced it anything on it I chose not to include that 25+ story office tower. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

this is a great site for large mixed use project 2/3 of block as the gateway to Southend or Uptown depending what way you are walking.  and one day it will be that gateway. 

IMG_8233.JPG

IMG_8235.JPG

IMG_8237.JPG

IMG_8238.JPG

May be completely misunderstanding the significance of the Enterprise building by I assumed it was untouchable based on some sort of historic protection?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, a2theb said:

May be completely misunderstanding the significance of the Enterprise building by I assumed it was untouchable based on some sort of historic protection?

honestly I think that building could be moved it really is not that big.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, a2theb said:

These things you speak of don't exist in Charlotte...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I said it possible to move you would have to contact the developer.  I am the biggest advocate of saving historical building but when our own city agency Charlotte Housing Inlivian believes it okay to knock down a 12 story 80+ year old hotel I dont know what to do.  Or in another case knock down a 100 year old building that was too close to the road.  (the Coddington Bldg aka Polk) How about a road diet right there?  EVERY other city in the state preserves its old buildings from Asheville to Winston to Gboro to Durham to Raleigh to Wilmington.   But some how the  belief here it we are too big to worry about the past... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, a2theb said:

I hate when they deem buildings as having some historical significance but they allow it to be converted into an Enterprise. :blink:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, j-man said:

I hate when they deem buildings as having some historical significance but they allow it to be converted into an Enterprise. :blink:

Unfortunately Enterprise was the only retail outlet with the foresight and discerning architectural acumen to seize a location they knew would last forever.

Edited by DownEast
Snakeoids
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, a2theb said:

Meck County Historic Landmarks notes it's significance, but I don't believe there's any official protection in place. I may get corrected, but I don't think anyone has to even ask permission to knock it down.

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Meck County Historic Landmarks notes it's significance, but I don't believe there's any official protection in place. I may get corrected, but I don't think anyone has to even ask permission to knock it down.

Invite me to a sledgehammer party to knock this thing down sitting in the midst of a sea of asphalt, and I’ll get to work 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Old story, revived here. Harry Golden, acerbic observer of Southern Life and Charlotte itsownself, wrote about our "vertical integration". in 1960's. We stand in line for movie tickets then take seats in black and white sections. We queue for the bus then sit separately, we walk into a building with a group but enter separate bathrooms for toilet use. A bit of humor for a deadly serious situation. Prices was the dining equivalent. 

(I am NOT saying Prices was segregationist or designed their store to avoid mixing races at tables. They used a chicken dressing  facility (Dilworth Poultry) and converted to retail with the space they had which meant curbside dining, literally.)

6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

Sad, but is anyone actually surprised after the soil sampling we all saw? That land has got to be worth 10 million + and they own it and are getting old. 

Agreed, they wanted to retire on a pile on cash and sold.

If that spot were redeveloped would it include the small office condo building as well or just Price’s and the parking?