SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I like too ^ Once all of these complexes are up and running it will do wonders to increase the pedestrian vibe along Tryon&South. I like packed sidewalks, we are a city after all. Going off on a tangent here but it took me a few years to get used to the relatively deserted sidewalks that are the norm in this town compared to Charleston. The foot traffc here in Dilworth during Greekfest is an average day along King St where I used to live. Walk more, people!

I really like Spectrum too. Sort of rustic/warehouse vibe and I like the dark brick. Anyone have a website? I can't find it online.

I think it will take a while to get people on the sidewalks. I was in Atlanta last summer on Peachtree in Midtown and it was deserted. I was suprised b/c it was a nice day and ATL is 3x bigger than CLT. Hopefully Charlotte can buck this trend. Retail/Restuarants/Colleges are the best was to fix it. Also, Charleston has the waterfront which increases its draw. I really wish Charlotte had water!

I have heard 5 months free rent at Ashton South End.....hate to say I told you guys so....wait a couple more months once Circle and Spectrum are open....it will be, umm, interesting.

There has to be some catch there... Though there will be an arse load of rental units online in South end by the end of summer. So, tons of competition in a tough economy. I have noticed that rental traffic has picked up considerably in my area in the last 2 months. There's a lot people from SC and other parts of the metro area that couldn't afford the rent near downtown before but can now with some of the deals going on.

yeah i know a couple of people that didn't think they could afford the area before and have chosen now as the time to move here. it will still be a loooong time before things start to fill up but maybe the silver lining is that we eventually wind up with a more diverse demographic than if rents had stayed high.

I go by Ashton almost daily and it's pretty dead. I know they are offering deals and the building is loaded with amenities but it's still pretty pricey. I imagine Circle and Spectrum will do better with the college grads. Their rent is more reasonable.

If you want to live in Southend/Dilworth on a budget and don't mind old buildings and no frills, you just need to drive around and look for indivdiual For Rent signs on the quads. Or look under rentals on Craigslist. There are several 1 bdrs in the 6s and a few in the 5s, they go fast, and again you get what you rent for, it's not "luxury living", it's "character" and "soul". ^_^

I have found it so much easier dealing directly with local landlords. The rental agencies app process is ridiculous, thought I was applying for college again. And they try and nail you with all kinds of process fees. No thanks.

Edited by voyager12

Good Lord, those interior facing units must be dark and cavelike. The ones on the ground floor might not get any sun at all given how small they made those courtyards. It's an atrocious design. It reminds me of some of the google earth views of North Korean housing. I would worry about how to get out of the place if it caught on fire. Maybe this is where they put you if you ask for a discount.

3560887838_6f0acc3118_o.jpg

Great pix. This area has really grown tremendously in the past couple of years. I know a lot of the business owners up and down South, Camden, and Tryon and they've already seen an uptick in business and most of these aren't even done yet. We ate outside the other night at Tavern on the Tracks and you can see three of these developments from their deck. I predict that a lot of these older warehouse and industrial buildings right in the immediate area will be retrofitted to serve all these new residents -- the businesses in the area already are doing quite well, add in a few thousand new residents in walking distance...

I gained a new perspective on apt rates here over the weekend. Went to New York and saw again the cramped living quarters of most of my friends. Yeah you are in the middle of everything but to me it's not worth the three roommates, rationing food, etc etc. I love cities but think i am a smaller to midsize urbanite in the end.

I too have noticed the vacant warehouses and other eminently reusable commercial space near the new complexes in Southend. Great spots for new stores and services in the future, hopefully not too far into the future....