SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

21 hours ago, MarcoPolo said:

RealClayton is spot on.  The impact on the City, of Atrium/Wake's School of Medicine, is hard to over exaggerate.   Several months ago, on page 2 of the Atrium/Wake thread, I talked about what this investment means for Charlotte.   It truly is a "game changer of historic proportions", on par with the Airport and the Blue Line.   Morehead, Dilworth/East Blvd, and Brooklyn Village are ground zero of what will be an extreme makeover in the decades to come.   For all practical purposes this investment serves as the anchor Brooklyn Village needed to validate its purpose, and would officially be so, were it not for the dreaded JBelk barrier, (a topic for discussion on another thread).   I can validate RealClayton's comment about the quiet momentum now building for this long anticipated re-development project as a result of Atrium's decision.  I can also share the fact that "other eyes" have set their gaze on the immediate area too.  :) 

Setting aside the JBelk scar in the Queen's urban fabric, the visible manifestations of the Atrium District will excite most here on UP,  satisfying both the "tall buildings" crowd, as well as the "urban fabric/density" crowd.    The fallout of this beautiful explosion will ignite the potential for a health/biomedical/pharma industry complex in Charlotte if City Leaders and Developers play their cards correctly.  The benefits will spread across the City for generations.    Stay tuned!

Do you guys think the future Brooklyn redevelopment might be more dense than previously anticipated/allowed by the County/City due to proximity with this planned Innovation District?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stiluvclt said:

You guys think that the Brooklyn thing is quietly moving ahead. I don’t believe it. I think it’s another Levine type situation. Correct me if I’m wrong.

There is a bunch of utility work going on right now in the area. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the work is being done by the company who is redeveloping the area? 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 4:10 PM, Blue_Devil said:

Does anyone know when Saucy Brew Works is going to break ground on Morehead? I know the 12 story luxury assisted living has, and the 26 story tower is Q1, when is the Brewery?

After driving by yesterday, the work I saw was putting in stoplight at Morehead/Caldwell.

The furniture store still looked stocked, but there was a large construction dumpster on site, so maybe gutting it is imminent???  That said, no building permits have been filed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TheRealClayton said:

Correct, and they just filed permits for infrastructure improvements, utilities, and have established a grid of 4 one acre parcels and 1 two acre parcel on their stonewall site. So there's definitely movement. 

So at this point it doesn't even sound like its quietly moving ahead... just moving ahead. 

9 hours ago, j-man said:

I’m sorry. I said it once and I’ll say it again. I absolutely hate the location of the Aquatic Center. It’s like the biggest dead zoned development  recently constructed  in all of uptown. It’s a major dead Block that will eventually just be developed all around and there it will sit, a large lowrise building with surface parking and lots of grass surrounding it with no use. I mean the building isn’t even attractive. Personally it should have put an aquarium or something in that area. Like some sort of attraction. The Aquatic Center should be moreso in a more neighborhood friendly area. 

I think it's no more a dead zone than any other sports facility in Uptown. Minimal traffic most days and then huge crowds for main events.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, j-man said:

I’m sorry. I said it once and I’ll say it again. I absolutely hate the location of the Aquatic Center. It’s like the biggest dead zoned development  recently constructed  in all of uptown. It’s a major dead Block that will eventually just be developed all around and there it will sit, a large lowrise building with surface parking and lots of grass surrounding it with no use. I mean the building isn’t even attractive. Personally it should have put an aquarium or something in that area. Like some sort of attraction. The Aquatic Center should be moreso in a more neighborhood friendly area. 

I loved the aquatic center (at least before the renovations) when I lived in Charlotte. 

I think it’s great the way it is and very neighborhoody/local. Uptown can lack a neighborhood feel (which is not a good thing) so I think it’s great. I’ve never known a community center or community pools to really have aquariums or bars attached to them. And I’ve never known aquariums to have a lively Street presence either. 

But I think the aquatic center, K-12 education, other basic community things is what is really going to keep people in downtown. Look at the pandemic and see how SouthEnd was remained active and uptown hasn’t been as much. SouthEnd has local community and gets locals out more. Uptown doesn’t cater as much to locals. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I think it's no more a dead zone than any other sports facility in Uptown. Minimal traffic most days and then huge crowds for main events.

I mean the Aquatic center never has life to it so i don’t know if that’s the best comparison. 

10 hours ago, jjwilli said:

Great sunset tonight and fencing is up around the Gas-Fired Products site on Tremont Ave. This is now owned by Cousins and they are wasting no-time moving this one forward.

2F870C71-6623-4231-8759-37CC292B8160.jpeg

D64C6A87-6AB5-4FCE-9458-B4D73FC8A2AB.jpeg

Oh wow.  I work around the corner from there and I've seen delivery trucks coming and going from there as recently as a week or so ago.  I guess they may have been moving things out of the building.  Excited to see what they put in there.