SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

16 minutes ago, jjwilli said:

Technically Sedgefield but soil sampling is happening in Parcel D of the Marsh Properties redevelopment: Sedgefield Redevelopment – Sedgefield Redevelopment . Residents in the duplexes have received notice they need to be out by the end of May 2022. 

In my non-expert opinion, the recently completed Edge apartment complex looks really good, compared to other South End apartments. They took care to keep mature trees where possible and the parking deck is completely hidden. 

Yes, they did a commendable job.  I hope the UDO will incentivize that standard of quality as much as practicable.

• Like 2

On 9/10/2021 at 9:39 AM, Prodev said:

Both are roughly 275' tall. 

Wow that's aggressive and dense sounding, can't wait for renderings if they release any.  Is the new TOD Zoning Designations the reason that seemingly so many High Rise buildings Planned for Southend are not being discussed or voted on in City Council?  

For the record it seems like anything proposed for more than 100' in Height along the Cherry\Midtown\Elizabeth area stirs up a hornets nest of resistance and requires heated debate & grandstanding in City Council, meanwhile SouthEnd is chugging away at Dense\Tall developments like its a regular thing\business as usual affair.  

• Like 1

strange modifications are afoot on the backside of the Tupelo Honey / Pwerter Rose building. I thought it was a tear down and construction staging for the Stiles building? Is this the facade model for the Stiles building?

E5FC83BB-D324-4276-B5EA-6C3420A0C4ED.jpeg

Edited by kermit

12 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Completely off topic but why can Charlotte not score on a top tier mixed use development like Fenton or North Hills?   

I think it is because we have much more activity in the inner city in Southend, uptown, etc.    however Ballantyne reimagined with all its retail and housing might even be better than North Hills in the future.  However both Fenton and North Hills are fantastic projects much more suburban in nature.

@kermit do think that could be the mock up of the facade for the Stiles tower for I know of no other reason why they would do anything there.

@Madison Parkitect could be Nike that is a great point.  what area of Charlotte would anyone consider to be the center of running?  I would think the answer would be the Rail Trail.  And with this new Nike Live store going to Cary I think that could be it. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, kermit said:

strange modifications are afoot on the backside of the Tupelo Honey / Pwerter Rose building. I thought it was a tear down and construction staging for the Stiles building? Is this the facade model for the Stiles building?

E5FC83BB-D324-4276-B5EA-6C3420A0C4ED.jpeg

That looks exactly like what that is. A façade Model. Cool. Looks like this is getting started now. I know they have been gutting the Honey Tulepo building though. 

12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think it is because we have much more activity in the inner city in Southend, uptown, etc.    however Ballantyne reimagined with all its retail and housing might even be better than North Hills in the future.  However both Fenton and North Hills are fantastic projects much more suburban in nature.

@kermit do think that could be the mock up of the facade for the Stiles tower for I know of no other reason why they would do anything there.

@Madison Parkitect could be Nike that is a great point.  what area of Charlotte would anyone consider to be the center of running?  I would think the answer would be the Rail Trail.  And with this new Nike Live store going to Cary I think that could be it. 

Nike would be huge, as it would definitely be a draw for other retail companies. 

On 9/14/2021 at 3:11 PM, Hushpuppy321 said:

For the record it seems like anything proposed for more than 100' in Height along the Cherry\Midtown\Elizabeth area stirs up a hornets nest of resistance and requires heated debate & grandstanding in City Council, meanwhile SouthEnd is chugging away at Dense\Tall developments like its a regular thing\business as usual affair.  

Cherry somehow stands up to density but not 60 years of autocentric crap. They basically got gutted in the early part of this decade and try to exert their opinions to part of the surrounding areas, which I get the attempt to try to preserve their enclave, but their resistance is futile and quite frankly, unwarranted.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I think once we get one major soft goods retailer like Nike or Under Amour, then they will lead the way for others to open up shop in South End.

I’m excited at the direction retail is going for south end, but it’s just a shame uptown doesn’t have much after all this time of trying to bring it back.  I can’t tell you how many out-of-towners I meet that stay uptown when I uber and the first thing they say is wow “it’s quiet uptown” or “there’s nowhere to shop” or “not much to do”.  Then I tell them south end exists.  It shouldn’t have to be this way.

Edited by Temeteron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

This project I don't think has been on the radar (at least I've seen no mention of it) but Alliance Residential is planning a project called Broadstone Southline at 3119 to 3215 (the 5 adjacent properties currently as warehouses north of the long vacant Lidl site)

Architect is Cline Design.  That's all I got.

Interesting Alliance would plan 2 projects in such close proximity.  They are also the developer of apartments for the Off Broadways shoes site a few block north and across South.

That is awesome. Hopefully some retail there, but not the wort thing if there isn't in that location. What really needs to happen is the Lidl needs to get built. That area needs a walkable grocery store. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I have heard rumors of something rising there a high rise too.  

There are two buildings there that need to be preserved in my opinion. The largest building and the parking lots should provide more than enough space for a project.

edit: is there anyway to find the age of a building? Loopnet and GIS were no help. I’m certain the middle building is quite old but the pub building may just appear so. Either way the pub building is iconic looking and I think should stay.

Edited by Guest

Demo permit filed for middle building (old one).  Preemptive filing, as HDC can enforce 365 day stay of demolition, given it has some sort of status (that block is outside the Historic District).

I assume that means plans for mid-rise there probably ~1 year off.

• Like 3

I haven't seen plans, but I think it's supposed L around from H&H automotive to the Richa back at Cleveland.  Since the hotel site is getting rezoned to allow any use maybe the entire block is now part of the project.

Regardless, I think you can use the grade to put 2 floors of parking below South Blvd (but above Cleveland).

Are you talking about the brick building facing South?  That is the Leeper Grocery, the store that served the mill families for the Tompkins Mill across the street. It has a historic description sign on the pole by the sidewalk in front of the building. It was the Carafe when I was a young wanderer. Beer (no alcohol by the drink yet) and a gravel parking area next to it where Tyber Creek is now. 

Foosball, air hockey downstairs and Seeburg or Rock-ola upstairs; creaky wooden floors, high ceiling, the historic scent of many sweaty men and women from the past in the air.

• Like 3