SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Plans call for a 68' 274-unit multifamily building with a parking garage and 1k SF of community non-profit space.

I know there is also supposed to be a 20-unit townhome development across Baltimore Ave that got approved by city council a while back. Any progress on that?

• Like 1

Edit to my post and photos above. The building that is public park style exterior is Housing Authority property and unlikely to be part of the transaction discussed. There must be access from the Southside Homes direction beyond the fence seen in this photo and extant yesterday.

https://polaris3g.mecklenburgcountync.gov/#mat=90068&pid=14501118&gisid=14501118

The storage/parking building is Bethlehem Center and conveyed along with the rest of the property discussed. Change of ownership has not been updated yet on county site.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 12:21 PM, Temeteron said:

The Burger King on the corner of South and Marsh has been closed for over a week now with their sign saying “Closed for repairs”….I have yet to see any trucks or activity.  I wonder if it’s because of employee shortage issues. 

I know this particular issue has been weighing heavily on everyone so I am happy(?) to announce that the Burger King is open again!

Edited by kermit
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

This, this is the crown of Charlotte.

Truly is.  When the developers were successful lobbying against the requirement to leave , I think it was 40%, of tree canopy in developments I knew my city had been taken over by some very short-sighted and quick-buck folks.  All types of trees are healthiest....not just oaks, not just bradford pears, not just cypruses, but a diverse collection. Preferably mixed. They thrive better. Is this a metaphor for the city?

While driving in South End earlier today, I noticed a massive stretch of pending demolition now taking place along the east side of Tryon Street, just south of Dunavant.  The old white, clapboard warehouse building was already down.  Would have slowed way down to take a pic, but might have caused an accident in the process.

Edited by RANYC

On 12/11/2021 at 8:30 PM, RANYC said:

While driving in South End earlier today, I noticed a massive stretch of pending demolition now taking place along the east side of Tryon Street, just south of Dunavant.  The old white, clapboard warehouse building was already down.  Would have slowed way down to take a pic, but might have caused an accident in the process.

I believe it’s a giant apartment complex. Saw it when I was looking through brownsfield docs. Can’t recall if there was any retail tho 

• Like 1

Providence Group Capital and Hanover Co. to deliver multifamily development - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

And just like that in today's Bizjournal...Article doesn't really give any details about what's planned there.  Just says the property was rezoned earlier this year from TOD-NC to the much more intensely-dense TOD-UC, where allowable heights are much greater and there's no parking minimum.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

Condos broke ground across from Burger-King next to New Burn Station

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3000-South-Blvd-102-Charlotte-NC-28209/2067361789_zpid/

6e0e9241d1530e644e8c233d7d28d2ed-cc_ft_960.jpg

Jeez, why does a walkable, urban-oriented lifestyle cost so much?  Do we expect the masses to jump aboard a bandwagon for green, carbon-minimalist living, when almost everywhere I look, it comes with exorbitance?  And yet, to make strides against climate change, we're going to need the masses.  Is going green simply too expensive to be tenable?  I know so many people who'd love to walk to work or to the store or to the park, but when that involves $475 per square foot, they balk.  They write it off.  Talk to them about green living, sustainable development and urban designs, and they see dollar signs upon dollar signs and a grand institutional swindle by liberal elites.  They're fine to head to their auto-centric havens of affordability, insulated from the inflationary excesses of self-righteous urbanity.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RANYC said:

Jeez, why does a walkable, urban-oriented lifestyle cost so much? 

politically-induced undersupply -- zoning (parking requirements and other density limitations) and NIMBYs (fear of density, traffic and declining property values) prevent supply from ever catching up with demand.

More rail transit sooner would also help to open up new areas for in town residential.

(developers can only get away with exorbitance when they know their product will have more potential buyers (renters) than they will need).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, RANYC said:

What are some examples of US cities pulling off affordable urbanism?

I don't know of any in the US, the system is too biased to protecting adjacent property owner “rights” to allow for any real increase in housing supply.

Tokyo (with federally controlled housing policy that eliminates NIMBYs) does remarkably well in term of housing cost however.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, kermit said:

politically-induced undersupply -- zoning (parking requirements) and NIMBYs (fear of density and traffic) prevent supply from ever catching up with demand.

Charlotte has to build one Texas Donut size building (300 units) each week to keep up with demand in theory. We are growing at an absurd rate. SouthEnd is trying to keep up, but it needs to happen all over Charlotte. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kermit said:

politically-induced undersupply -- zoning (parking requirements and other density limitations) and NIMBYs (fear of density, traffic and declining property values) prevent supply from ever catching up with demand.

More rail transit sooner would also help to open up new areas for in town residential.

(developers can only get away with exorbitance when they know their product will have more potential buyers (renters) than they will need).

Is it political obstruction, or do we simply not have enough suppliers, i.e. not enough developers and developer types to meet all these needs?

And by the way, a lot of developers don't really take the time to invest until they can achieve a certain profit bogey, which I'm guessing plays a factor in the type of residential product they wish to offer, and product that they write off unless local government steps in to finance.

The 475/square foot condo project referenced above is making a good bit of use out of a grassy corner, but I see under-utilized lots all over this city certain ripe for densification.  It's as though we don't have enough developers doing suburban infill at enough scale.  What's to stop someone from putting affordable apartments on the fringes of surface parking lots in front of strip malls.  We have several on the westside.  No interested suppliers?

• Like 3