SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

One thing we need to be cautious about is preventing a degradation of South End's character.  The destruction of old buildings along with the construction of too many out-of-character buildings will ruin what makes South End currently special.  I hope developers will be design-conscious in their approach to redeveloping parcels...but some of the recent proposals give me little hope.

• Like 3

… What makes something more special than something that grows organically. Now i agree that it shouldn’t grow out of control and erase everything, but honestly this talk of character in a place doesn’t make much sense. For example, in terms of this project specifically…its a set back store surrounded by a parking lot… idk what kind of character that spells for everyone else but that just screams cars are more important than people to me.

People are what create a character for the places where they live, work, and play not the structures alone. South end is a relatively younger neighborhood and its growing. Change is inevitable and character is still developing, a work-in-progess. There are certain places where buildings do not have to be bulldozed to be successful, especially with pedestrian focused activity (design center is a great example of this).

A place usually loses its character more often when the people who live there leave or are expunged not when old buildings and grass patches are redeveloped.

Edit: RANYC beat me to it, I saw your response right after posting.

• Like 3

Then in theory, based on the last few posts, Uptown & SouthEnd have the same amount of character.

I agree with the other poster. An uncomfortable amount of SouthEnd is being replaced when it should be rehabbed or repurposed. I could live with Dimensional Place having gone somewhere else, for example. OR having preserved at least the façade of what it replaced.

spacer.png

The above replacing the below is just annoying. Especially that giant empty concrete plaza… that used to have buildings. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

These buildings can be saved or incorporated or something. And there’s plenty of places - so many places - I have 0 problem with the new development. And SouthEnd has had some good developments for ground level. 

But the city needs to protect these places. Some of the developments such as Rail Yard SouthEnd has really added to SouthEnd and it’s design and pedestrian streetscrape conform to the SouthEnd character. If we could have more Rail Yard type developments and keep at least the facades or do the best to preserve older structures. SouthEnd would be even better IMO. 

Even The empty field was better than  Dimensional Place (which I assume they’ll be retail there soon but still. Bleh) 

spacer.png

https://patrickschneider.photoshelter.com/image/I0000APhYvqxZt44

And just to be sure. I am very pro-development. I just think the ground level experience matters. A concrete plaza. F that. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Then in theory, based on the last few posts, Uptown & SouthEnd have the same amount of character.

I agree with the other poster. An uncomfortable amount of SouthEnd is being replaced when it should be rehabbed or repurposed. I could live with Dimensional Place having gone somewhere else, for example. OR having preserved at least the façade of what it replaced.

spacer.png

The above replacing the below is just annoying. Especially that giant empty concrete plaza… that used to have buildings. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

These buildings can be saved or incorporated or something. And there’s plenty of places - so many places - I have 0 problem with the new development. And SouthEnd has had some good developments for ground level. 

But the city needs to protect these places. Some of the developments such as Rail Yard SouthEnd has really added to SouthEnd and it’s design and pedestrian streetscrape conform to the SouthEnd character. If we could have more Rail Yard type developments and keep at least the facades or do the best to preserve older structures. SouthEnd would be even better IMO. 

The empty field was better than  Dimensional Place even (which I assume they’ll be retail there soon but still. Bleh) 

spacer.png

Shall we keep the facade of Price’s chicken?

At any rate, Dimensional Fund Advisers brought hundreds of well-paid finance professionals to patronize, by foot even, South End’s growing food and now incubator retail scene (nod to Winnifred shops).  Dimensional was already well underway when I arrived in Charlotte so can’t really speak to what the lot that was there was contributing.

Not sure what’s meant by “same amount of character or how one measures,” but South End has a decidedly different vibe or mood than Uptown in my opinion, but not because of any government intervention or intentionality.  By the way, my opinion is informed by living in SE from 2018-2020, and now living 1.5 miles away in Wesley Heights now, frequenting SE watering holes and sushi, plus working in Uptown.

Agree on ground-level activation, although simply mandating ground-level retail for every structure in south end is a bit glib and might be a bit unrefined.  I don’t even see ground-level retail everywhere in the center of Munich or Berlin or London, but pedestrian accommodations always feel comfortable, secure, pleasant for walking and strolling and to linger nearly everywhere I tread in those cities.

If you don’t have ground-level retail, but include wide sidewalks with streetscape art/sculpture, tree cover, lush and well-maintained gardens, protective structures for pedestrians like pergolas, then you’re fine in my book.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Shall we keep the facade of Price’s chicken?

At any rate, Dimensional Fund Advisers brought hundreds of well-paid finance professionals to patronize, by foot even, South End’s growing food and now incubator retail scene (nod to Winnifred shops).  Dimensional was already well underway when I arrived in Charlotte so can’t really speak to what the lot that was there was contributing.

Not sure what’s meant by “same amount of character or how one measures,” but South End has a decidedly different vibe or mood than Uptown in my opinion, but not because of any government intervention or intentionality.  By the way, my opinion is informed by living in SE from 2018-2020, and now living 1.5 miles away in Wesley Heights now, frequenting SE watering holes and sushi, plus working in Uptown.

Agree on ground-level activation, although simply mandating ground-level retail for every structure in south end is a bit glib and might be a bit unrefined.  I don’t even see ground-level retail everywhere in the center of Munich or Berlin or London, but pedestrian accommodations always feel comfortable, secure, pleasant for walking and strolling and to linger nearly everywhere I tread in those cities.

If you don’t have ground-level retail, but include wide sidewalks with streetscape art/sculpture, tree cover, lush and well-maintained gardens, protective structures for pedestrians like pergolas, then you’re fine in my book.

That is getting very tiresome to hear (the jobs excuse & over many years) - particularly in a city that has tons of parking lots and old strip malls and literally even random fields in its downtown. Durham and Raleigh both actually do a good job preserving buildings or at least facades. Maybe Dimensional would've chose another city if they couldn't get this space and the best outcome for the city was to let them build there - that doesn't make it good for the urban fabric. 

I enjoyed the area a lot before Dimensional (and when there was a Phat Burrito instead of Flower Child : p ). But at least the parking garage portion is somewhat alright). 

And Prices Chicken Coop, at this point, sure. Save the building and build around it (though this would've been lower on my list of what to save that's has or may have been torn down recently). is it the best looking building? No and I hate that Prices Chicken Coop sign personally and I hate the word coop. Ideally, in my little sim city, I'd want to save it, turn it into a different bar or something and have the rest of the parking lot developed... 

Legacy Union brought tons of jobs - great jobs - beautiful towers, good streetscape, etc. but it just isn't done right IMO and it could have been. SouthEnd provides numerous examples of developments done right. Cities around the US do it right often. Charlotte - it just can't escape the lure of building plaza's and dazzling lobby's that feel blank and well landscaped. BUT at least Legacy Union replaced the old Charlotte Observer building... Which is acceptable. Could've been done better but a net positive for the area at least....

But hey. If ya'll are satisfied with Legacy Union's, by all means enjoy.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

That is getting very tiresome to hear (the jobs excuse & over many years) - particularly in a city that has tons of parking lots and old strip malls and literally even random fields in its downtown. Durham and Raleigh both actually do a good job preserving buildings or at least facades. Maybe Dimensional would've chose another city if they couldn't get this space and the best outcome for the city was to let them build there - that doesn't make it good for the urban fabric. 

I enjoyed the area a lot before Dimensional (and when there was a Phat Burrito instead of Flower Child : p ). But at least the parking garage portion is somewhat alright). 

And Prices Chicken Coop, at this point, sure. Save the building and build around it (though this would've been lower on my list of what to save that's has or may have been torn down recently). is it the best looking building? No and I hate that Prices Chicken Coop sign personally and I hate the word coop. Ideally, in my little sim city, I'd want to save it, turn it into a different bar or something and have the rest of the parking lot developed... 

Legacy Union brought tons of jobs - great jobs - beautiful towers, good streetscape, etc. but it just isn't done right IMO and it could have been. SouthEnd provides numerous examples of developments done right. Cities around the US do it right often. Charlotte - it just can't escape the lure of building plaza's and dazzling lobby's that feel blank and well landscaped. BUT at least Legacy Union replaced the old Charlotte Observer building... Which is acceptable. Could've been done better but a net positive for the area at least....

But hey. If ya'll are satisfied with Legacy Union's, by all means enjoy.

Sorry that "center city job growth as driving other high-priority outcomes" sounds "tiresome" to you, but as someone (me!) who lives and owns in center city Charlotte, I will advocate and vote on this all day long.  On well-rounded urban core energy (jobs, young professionals in a concentrated area, rail accessibility to urban job centers), I'd say Charlotte is crushing it on a relative basis, and we're unrivaled in the Carolinas region for attracting a substantial portion of job growth and new construction to accommodate such growth right in our urban core (inclusive of Uptown, South End, Midtown, etc) versus in flar-flung sprawling office parks accessible only by car.  Do you live in or frequent South End?  

As for tons of parking lots and fields, I'm not sure what you're referring to.  If it's 1st ward, however, well I'm happy for you that you live in a city that doesn't have property owners who have their own intentions for land they own that you disagree with.  But I think we've done well working around Levine's inaction.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Even The empty field was better than  Dimensional Place (which I assume they’ll be retail there soon but still. Bleh) 

spacer.png

And just to be sure. I am very pro-development. I just think the ground level experience matters. A concrete plaza. F that. 

In your last photo, I see a dirt patch by a surface parking lot and a billboard.  Yes, cheeky for you to show us a pic when crowds are there for some sort of food truck fest, but something tells me that on most days, this wasn't really activated.  Dimensional came online just before Covid hit, but if i'm not mistaken, it has leased all of its street-level retail that is being built out into Q1 of next year.  

Dimensional is a "dirt-patch, surface lot replacement" success story.  And south end got an urban classic, wedge-shaped bit of architecture out of it as well.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Sorry that "center city job growth as driving other high-priority outcomes" sounds "tiresome" to you, but as someone (me!) who lives and owns in center city Charlotte, I will advocate and vote on this all day long.  On well-rounded urban core energy (jobs, young professionals in a concentrated area, rail accessibility to urban job centers), I'd say Charlotte is crushing it on a relative basis, and we're unrivaled in the Carolinas region for attracting a substantial portion of job growth and new construction to accommodate such growth right in our urban core (inclusive of Uptown, South End, Midtown, etc) versus in flar-flung sprawling office parks accessible only by car.  Do you live in or frequent South End?  

As for tons of parking lots and fields, I'm not sure what you're referring to.  If it's 1st ward, however, well I'm happy for you that you live in a city that doesn't have property owners who have their own intentions for land they own that you disagree with.  But I think we've done well working around Levine's inaction.

I hate my response to be I was born (Presbyterian - ‘92) & raised in Charlotte as I’m sure many people who were also born in CLT may have entirely different opinions than me. But imma do it. I was born & raised in CLT.

Im talkin Gus the Bus level Charlottean. But yes, I lived in SouthEnd (and Catalyst and pretty much anywhere and everywhere in the city south of 85. ). So I was for well rounded jobs etc before you - I just don’t think it has to be an either/or situation as if one can’t have good jobs and good urban development. Which SouthEnd has good examples of development. Rail Yard & Lowes being my favorite so far. 

*if* Dimensional could’ve maybe saved those buildings at the corner of Camden/Tryon rather than replace it with a Plaza and a lobby… it would’ve been a 10/10 in my book. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

In all honesty, the Character SouthEnd has is, it is new and fun and modern. Old poorly maintained warehouses do not make character. Housing projects on the verge of being closed by the Federal Gov do not make character. These are things that should be destroyed and rebuilt upon. 

Exactly. It's sad for many that places like Price's and Phat Burrito are gone but are you really missing the days of empty rocky parking lots and unused warehouses? Just because a building is "new" and another is "old" doesn't mean the new one doesn't have character or won't be attractive. This area is being built now for the next 100 years. The previous 100 are long gone like the empty lots that once resided.

I don’t know. Southend isn’t some hugely dense historic area, and never really has been I’ve lived in Charlotte itself since 2006, and in the area since my birth in 1984.  Up until recent years, Southend wasn’t much of a destination, and was largely old warehouses. Now it’s becoming a walking district with lots of shopping and restaurants. It is now, building its character. It doesn’t bother me if an old warehouse building gets torn down. I would love it if they could incorporate the old brick buildings into new projects- but again, this are isn’t largely dense with those to begin with. In conclusion, there was never much to destroy in Southend, as it was really just a kind of bare section of South Blvd just south of uptown to begin with. 

• Like 3

South End in 2000: Dales's radiator shop "Best Place to Take a Leak" (Dimensional Funds). New Big Village breakfast shop (Phat Burrito). Greek greasy spoon and no A/C. Smells of sweat and garlic. How it passed a health inspection is remarkable. Homeless camp(s) under the Morehead bridge and the trees beside the track behind the Arlington. Hobo camps of a sort. South of Publix there were warehouse/industrial buildings and the loading docks were sleeping areas for homeless and an amazing number of bicycles there for such a rough crowd. Better transportation than one would expect they could afford (wink). South Boulevard had a mattress shop, a tanning salon (?), Oleens (another thread, maybe). Word was that if one was out on Friday or Saturday night in Dilworth NEVER drive South Boulevard to your next destination (home I hope), because it was easy pickings for the police. 

What he said, in other words.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

South End in 2000: Dales's radiator shop "Best Place to Take a Leak" (Dimensional Funds). New Big Village breakfast shop (Phat Burrito). Greek greasy spoon and no A/C. Smells of sweat and garlic. How it passed a health inspection is remarkable. Homeless camp(s) under the Morehead bridge and the trees beside the track behind the Arlington. Hobo camps of a sort. South of Publix there were warehouse/industrial buildings and the loading docks were sleeping areas for homeless and an amazing number of bicycles there for such a rough crowd. Better transportation than one would expect they could afford (wink). South Boulevard had a mattress shop, a tanning salon (?), Oleens (another thread, maybe). Word was that if one was out on Friday or Saturday night in Dilworth NEVER drive South Boulevard to your next destination (home I hope), because it was easy pickings for the police. 

What he said, in other words.

Do you happen to remember a guy who had a relatively small army/navy store really close to where Leather and Lace is?  This was back in the70s.  The guy was kind of an eccentric genius who had really remarkable stuff from old military aircraft. Like gyroscopes, etc.  

And, fwiw, I used to call on Dale back in the 70s and 80s (selling auto parts)..  Cool guy who had the biggest stogies.  Before him (back in the 50s) was a widow who had poker games in the upper floor. Sounds like she was widowed from a police officer and all the cops knew about this place at the time.

Edited by Windsurfer
adding info

I think the person you recall about the surplus equipment was named Cornell. Last name Cornell. It was his business for quite a few years. I cannot recall the location but I knew his son Jim who lived on Euclid and was a collector of all sorts of fascinating things including some of his father's goods. Jim Cornell had an Air Force missile planted in his front yard for years at 1620 Euclid. About 6-7 feet long and 18 inches high and pointed toward the street.  We lost those characters, the native americans, the semi homeless, the wanderers and vagrants, the offbeat, outcasts, those who built a berm of salvage plumbing fixtures around their property border and no one complained.

• Like 1