SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

On 12/15/2021 at 10:14 AM, kermit said:

IMO our current political system makes infill much more difficult than it needs to be, this discourages developers who are comfortable with greenfield subdivisions reluctant to do any infill (and infill does not offer the same scale of opportunities that greenfield does). We have plenty of developers, but not enough willing to do infill. It would help a lot if the real estate finance system was better set up for small projects.

I dunno if public financing is necessary. Most infill projects are very profitable. The bulk of the risk comes from the difficulty of getting construction started. Rezoning (and angry neighbors) remediation and infrastructure issues all add to project uncertainty. If government can streamline that part of the process (more allowed by right, less neighborhood and council pushback, less uncertainty about sewer capacity etc.)  then intown development would be much more common.

I think builders are generally happy to build on shovel ready sites. The roadblocks here are 1) the required zoning change; 2) reluctant financiers; 3) potentially lower profit margins due to the suboptimal site (other, better, sites still exist so a developer’s board will be reluctant to approve a project unless prices are super low)

Edit: I’ll add that there need to be sticks used to make greenfield development pay more of its fully allocated costs. End subsidies for suburban housing such as road and utilities extensions at public expense, add a carbon tax, have homeowners pay the full costs of their low density lifestyles. Changes like those would make infill development much more attractive to everyone.

Two words must be done: impact fees

It can be done and must be done here in Charlotte.

We must vote for more civic responsible and responsive to the explosive growing urban area needs in Metro Charlotte but also in the Triangle in a certain extent as well here in North Carolina in November 2022.  

Ironically, (conservative-led) South Carolina has an statewide impact fees statute. Impact fees are strictly enforced with larger development in York and Lancaster counties. 

The constant excuses are inexcusable about impact fees laws being passed. Moore & Crew aren't doing us any favors by blocking this law.  You all must vote and vote for more responsible state legislative officials every election cycle in NC. No more excuses

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, kayman said:

No they don't.  Lack of adequate housing supply and choices are what drives up housing prices not impact fees. Also Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston all have had impact fees for several years and their housing prices only started to go up with the rapid increase of cost of living nationwide along with the rapid uptick in population growth respectively in the past 5 years thus depleting their housing supplies.  Also how can you point out only Mt. Pleasant, a suburb of Charleston yet the rest of the state where impact fees are also implemented including Richland, Lexington, Horry, Georgetown, Greenville,  Spartanburg, Anderson, Pickens, Cherokee, and the aforementioned York and Lancaster counties all are relatively cheaper despite higher rapid growth rates?  The answer is housing supply and choices are more widely available along with the impact fees implementation.  Sorry, but your response is not accurate.

Impact Fees on Center City Infill?

In the '90s, the anti-sprawlers used to tout the importance of urban infill because such developments, in theory, take advantage of existing infrastructure found in the core, rather than requiring newly-created infrastructure further and further out into natural areas on the fringes.

Would impact fees be assessed against all the urban infill projects we're seeing all throughout center city Charlotte?  Isn't much of the growth we talk about in most of these threads, including in South End, anti-sprawl growth? 

Do Impact Fees reflect the Cost of Population Growth?

Population growth is good for economic development, yes?  New people to Charlotte (well, most of them) are an expansion to our tax base.  Do impact fees mean that all these additional taxpayers and their spending power don't really pay for themselves? 

Aren't we giving massive incentives for all this new population growth through recruiting places like Centene, etc?  The need for impact fees seems to suggest there might be something broken in how the local government is funding itself and its obligations to its constituents.  Why should the burden of that issue only fall on newcomers and their developers?  Big companies are driving people and their families here, we slashed tax obligations of those companies, so that we can now charge a blanket fee on the housing to accommodate these employees?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

According to this Business Journal article from 2018 the break even value for home net tax/service was 327,000. Schools are a major, major expense in Union County. Also 83% residential portion of ad valorem tax base, far above the preferred 60%.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/partners/economic-development-in-monroe-union-county/2018/union-county-seeks-balanced-growth.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I am talking about impact fees over at the Affordable Housing thread that is probably more appropriate than this thread.

I dunno. Impact fees aren't really about affordability -- the lack of impacts fees increases property taxes for all residents (which ultimately reduces affordability). Impact fees are about maintaining the long-term fiscal health of the city/county which benefits everyone.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I am talking about impact fees over at the Affordable Housing thread that is probably more appropriate than this thread.

Various miscellaneous midrises of Southend and some blocks along Camden that  what I consider the best of Southend.  Mixture of 1-5 story buildings mixed in with some high rises and historical structures.   Even though the new Atherton blocks on the old it does not block it from the Rail Trail.  

IMG_7505.JPG

Why are windows still missing from the Lowes Tower?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCMike1990 said:

I understand that. Just thought the windows would have all been installed by now.

It is weird as the lights are on in those upper floors which means the office space is probably done.  Maybe having some supply issues on those last panes of glass

• Like 4

I was just thinking... How amazing would it have been or still be for those chain stores/restaurants to be incorporated into the older buildings of the past in South End instead of demolishing so many of them just to put a stand alone building there after. I feel like when I see the fast food chains like McDonald's, Burger King, and Chick Fil A in SouthEnd, their copy & past redundant look just doesn't fit well into the neighborhood. Like what if they were to either be built with materials like brick that would make them look like they were in an older building that was repurposed to fit with the character of the neighborhood or actually have these chain restaurants actually put into some of the stand alone older buildings instead of them having their same look recognized anywhere. 

• Like 2