SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Flores & Assoc is moving out of their South End home (that they sold last year to Stream Realty) to relocate to Salt + Vinegar office rehab in FreeMoreWest.

Stream owns the entire block bound by S Church, Palmer, S Mint, and Quincy.

Flores was the only tenant at the office complex fronting Church and Woodies operates(past tense?) the auto repair shop along Palmer.

I assume this means a whole-block redevelopment probably happening sooner than later.

Think it will be a midrise, or something taller?

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

Flores & Assoc is moving out of their South End home (that they sold last year to Stream Realty) to relocate to Salt + Vinegar office rehab in FreeMoreWest.

Flores was the only tenant at the office complex fronting Church and Woodies operates(past tense?) the auto repair shop along Palmer.

I assume this means a whole-block redevelopment probably happening sooner than later.

Ugh, a perfectly lovely, tree-lined block with decent building-to-street interaction.  Why not that Electric Supply Co building and. lot fronting Mint first?:tw_confused:

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I would think this belongs in the High Rise thread, but we shall see. Honestly I was pretty certain Flores would move into a new tower at this site, so I was surprised when they announced their move.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, atlrvr said:

I posted here simply because it's currently a mid-rise and I'm unaware of any concrete plans for the redevelopment.

I figured if a substantial was announced, it would get it's own thread then.

Do you have any idea of what the max ‘by-right’ building height could be for this Lot without needing a Rezoning hearing?  Just curious because I’m not sure if most lots in the Gold District are within that Blanket TOD Rezoning City Council did a few years ago for the Blue Line Corridor.

19 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Do you guys think that Mid-Rise Apartment Construction in SouthEnd will now slow down a bit (next year) because of all the High-Rise Apartments beginning construction this year?

Not with rents like this (and the associated shortage of for sale housing inventory).

We have been under building population growth for more than two decades, and local growth rates aint declining.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

I think mid-rise will slow down because wood-framing costs are through the roof and so is land prices.

High-rise probably more economical to build.  Not suggesting necessarily cheaper, but assuming there is enough demand for the premium rents that high rise units achieve vs mid-rise, I suspect the overall project economics look better for high-rise deals.  

• Like 4

If I were looking for apartment housing and budget were flexible I would look first to steel and concrete construction over matchstick palace. Sound attenuation, vibration issues, fire risk and other concerns are less, in my assumptions. I have stayed in accommodations of both types of construction and preferred the  the former.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

If I were looking for apartment housing and budget were flexible I would look first to steel and concrete construction over matchstick palace. Sound attenuation, vibration issues, fire risk and other concerns are less, in my assumptions. I have stayed in accommodations of both types of construction and preferred the  the former.

Back in the day it would’ve been more expensive but I think now the price to build may be similar/comparable as per some of the previous comments on here citing building materials.  I know that those Townhomes being built along West Tremont have all metal framing elements and that surprised me when I visited there last week.

• Like 2