SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

2 hours ago, dylansukkert said:

The Junction just feels like a massive waste of a lot of prime real estate. 

It was one of the first built apartment complexes coming out of the severe Real estate depression 2009/2010 nobody was building hardly anything when they started it.  They got the land for cheap and built a garden style apartment complex.   Rents were substantially lower too.   The original developers from Texas sold it for a good profit maybe 5-6 years ago.   But when it was built nobody was building anything in that immediate area. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

but they would have had to sacrifice a few units! It required literally zero effort to retain a place making amenity that provides intangible community benefit.  on a corner that is already very lively with activity.

what's the corner going to be? leasing office? lobby or gym? even if we do get a retail spot out of it, imagine the shop having such a lovely tree out front for people to sit in the shade and watch the street scene.

maybe they will plant a sapling <_<

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MothBeast said:

Tree Management is a predominantly operational program and has no say or interaction of any kind with privately owned trees on privately owned land. They do not create policy, that is the planning department’s gig. Do not harass the City Arborist due to your frustration with the machine overall, she is a delightful person that has no regular interaction with any of the city’s private partners. 

Within tree mgmt, I spoke with the office of the chief urban forester and that person is a guy.  I called to complain and have every right to complain about an outcome in my community that I don't like, without cowering because I'm not yet schooled and stewed in the vagaries and intricacies of the bureaucracy.  My interactions weren't harassment, although I suspect there are plenty in the bureaucracy who believe any outreach and challenge to be harassment...unless those engaging are developers perhaps.  

As for Tree Management, the Urban Forestry group have been heavily involved in advising tree policies within the UDO.    So not just operational.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Food hall proposed on South Tryon now will be Atlanta based brewery. 

https://charlotte.axios.com/302273/proposed-food-hall-in-south-end-reimagined-as-spot-for-an-atlanta-based-brewery/

Food halls are a lot harder to put together than most think evidently as that is the 2nd food hall in Southend to be changed to something else (other being in the Line) 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Food hall proposed on South Tryon now will be Atlanta based brewery. 

https://charlotte.axios.com/302273/proposed-food-hall-in-south-end-reimagined-as-spot-for-an-atlanta-based-brewery/

Food halls are a lot harder to put together than most think evidently as that is the 2nd food hall in Southend to be changed to something else (other being in the Line) 

I went there when I used to be in Atlanta. It's alright.  It seems like everything that was or has a presence in Atlanta wants to now be in Charlotte.

• Like 4