SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

4 hours ago, Spburn2 said:

113-unit apartment building. Sounds like they are planning for it to have ground floor retail. I haven't heard or seen much info other than this: https://jmcope.com/projects/foster-avenue-apartments/

How does this location get ground floor retail and not some of the complex’s on South Blvd and facing the rail trail? 

On 10/25/2022 at 3:04 PM, KJHburg said:

Southend skyline shots.  with a LOT more to come. 

KJ's Power rankings of NC skylines

1. Uptown Charlotte

2. Downtown Raleigh

3. Downtown Winston Salem

4.  Downtown Greensboro and Durham tied.

6.  Charlotte Southend skyline (and this will move up I predict in the next few years) 

Bonus category best backgrounds downtown Asheville with the mountain ranges and downtown Wilmington with the river 

Agreed except I think Raleigh North Hills deserves the #7 spot and may rise through the ranks with Charlotte South End (though will never pass it, of course).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

Agreed except I think Raleigh North Hills deserves the #7 spot and may rise through the ranks with Charlotte South End (though will never pass it, of course).

If North Hills is included in the skyline conversation then so is Ballantyne and even SouthPark.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

it is inevitable those 1 story buildings would go away given there is already a high rise apartment tower underway on that block and it is surrounded by much higher density projects.  Not sure if any of these buildings have any historical significance of note.  

ok that makes sense, just older decrepit buildings. i always thought it could've been transformed into a cool little strip of bars for live music but probably unsafe given how close they are to the racetrack ... i mean  morehead lol

4 hours ago, CLT Development said:

North Hills will run out of land, and Raleigh is quickly running out of political momentum as a new class of NIMBYs are welcomed into positions of power. 

At some point North Hills will jump 440 and absorb the Computer Dr area currently filled with professional offices.  Plus the St Albans Dr corridor will continue to fill in/be redeveloped.  Like yeah North Hills will inevitably run out of land at some point but that's a pretty long long way off.

Raleigh has had exceptionally bad luck in regards to development imo.  The great recession of course killed off a ton of projects, and then the "council of no" strangled rezoning attempts and approvals for years after that which artificially dampened developer interest.  When they were finally voted out, the current pro-development council took over and started approving basically every rezoning request...then Covid hit which shelved a ton of projects again.  However, due to the volume of rezonings coupled with the demand for housing in Raleigh, I think the current wave of development is going to be hard to stop for quite some time.

Edited by nicholas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, nicholas said:

At some point North Hills will jump 440 and absorb the Computer Dr area currently filled with professional offices.  Plus the St Albans Dr corridor will continue to fill in/be redeveloped.  Like yeah North Hills will inevitably run out of land at some point but that's a pretty long long way off.

Raleigh has had exceptionally bad luck in regards to development imo.  The great recession of course killed off a ton of projects, and then the "council of no" strangled rezoning attempts and approvals for years after that which artificially dampened developer interest.  When they were finally voted out, the current pro-development council took over and started approving basically every rezoning request...then Covid hit which shelved a ton of projects again.  However, due to the volume of rezonings coupled with the demand for housing in Raleigh, I think the current wave of development is going to be hard to stop for quite some time.

And per the people supplying the money I think you will find out just how easy the wave is to stop, lending on new projects has all but completely dried up. and the pro-development council is being swayed by their constituents.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I will assume in good faith that you don’t WANT this to be true, and that you are reporting on observations/conversations, but I am curious: Charlotte seems to be taking a strikingly different path when it comes to new development, why do you think that is?

1 hour ago, MothBeast said:

I will assume in good faith that you don’t WANT this to be true, and that you are reporting on observations/conversations, but I am curious: Charlotte seems to be taking a strikingly different path when it comes to new development, why do you think that is?

Oh its almost dried up in Charlotte too. I don't wish for it to be true, but it is.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MothBeast said:

Financing aside, Charlotte has always been a VERY pro-development town. While Raleigh has always been the biggest pro-development portion of the Triangle, the culture of the Triangle is an order of magnitude more conservative (in terms of supporting land use change) than Charlotte and almost always opposed to new development. Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill (to the greatest extent) are all super pro-NIMBY, getting anything approved is a huge battle.  The exception to this, over the past 20 years, is downtown infill has gotten a bit of a pass with Triangle NIMBYs, but now that downtown projects have begun to encroach on existing residential, all projects are getting more scrutiny.

I grew up in the Triangle and when I arrived in Charlotte nearly 25 years ago, I was astounded by how much support local developers could get in the council and community. These underlying cultural conditions don't just disappear. 

Needless to say, the attitude of financiers trumps any sort of local cultural conditions.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...