SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

My household historian lived in Sedgefield from the mid 1950's. All the units were in place at that time. Those units that compose the central portion of the project had drives that connected to the interior of their block and this interior area was paved for tenant and visitor parking. In the mid/late 60's these interior parking areas were removed and returned to grass and tenant use. Individual drives served each duplex thenceforward. Much safer for the families which were the predominant residents at that time.

edit: this comment refers to the Marsh apartment removals photos on prior page. These page breaks are unexpected and I wish there were a warning.

Edited by tarhoosier

6 hours ago, tozmervo said:

RIP my first Charlotte apartment. 

My first apartment in Charlotte was in the Southpark area.   Deering Place was bulldozed long ago for something called Mezzo apartments on Colony Rd right next to the Morrison development.   My top floor 2nd floor apartment also burned before they knocked it over too.  (was not living there by then) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Not sure if anyone here would know but at Ideal Way/Iverson Way it looks like the ongoing sewer work cleared out a path between Ideal Way and Poindexter.  I feel like back at some point I had heard the city would connect Iverson Way between those two streets.  Did I completely fabricate that or is anyone aware of plans to connect Dilworth and Sedgefield more then just the little alley behind the gas station and McDonald's? 🤣

Edit:  Didn't make it up (wohoo) found the 2014 rezoning filing

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2014/054-071/2014-064 site plan 2nd rev.pdf

Edited by SouthEndCLT811
  • Like 4

If you look at city maps you see that the right of way is clearly notable from Iverson to Poindexter. (Polaris is not opening for me this morning.) It can be seen here:  https://property.spatialest.com/nc/mecklenburg/#/property/156494.    Click on the neighboring properties and one may see the gap.

I recall that this was a planned crossing to Poindexter long ago enough the Marsh properties sited their units with the gap sufficient to allow the connection even in the 1950's with their development. It also carries the stream from Ideal Way to Dairy Branch which flows to Freedom Park eventually.

Edited by tarhoosier

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

“The Campbell is deliberately differentiated from the majority of the existing inventory and pipeline in South End to appeal to a more mature renter,” said Mason Ellerbe, principal with Abacus.""

I guess I'm mature since I like the look of this.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I would occasionally go to that gas station wen I lived in Dilworth as they often had lower priced gas. Inside at the Perspex barrier I might wait behind some local residents who had walked in to purchase the normal low income neighborhood objects of desire. Newport, wine (cheap), flavored cigarillos, lottery,  Brookhill shopping center.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

48 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Vision Ventures just bought the Marathon gas station next to the 2100 S Tryon office building (Tryon and Tremont).  VV was the developer of that office building, so guessing they are looking to add to the "complex".

That's turned into basically an overflow lot for Inner Peaks next door, wonder if they'll start towing cars that are parked there.  Sure was nice when the weather was warmer and I could just jump on the motorcycle to avoid dealing with normal parking issues in the evening.

• Like 3