SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

They will have to be at a reasonable price point to succeed.

This is key. These apartments will most likely not work if they start at $1400 a month for a 2-bedroom, when everywhere else in the Charlotte area a similar floor plan costs $800 a month. In a down market, few (even those who still have steady jobs) will want to spend $600 extra per month on a "luxury" unit with an address next to the light rail.

The good thing about this development is that it's almost in the middle of uptown and south Charlotte where a lot of these people may work.

Poindexter & South Boulevard is over two miles from "The Square." I wouldn't call that "Uptown," but it is within the urban core of what I'd call "Central Charlotte." Within that same 2-mile radius going other directions, you have many other potential urban infill projects, the largest of which is the Morningside Village development next to Veteran's Park, and the newest of which (indeed still seeking rezoning) is the Winter Elizabeth apartments. I think New Bern station area development is competing with these projects and others still within Charlotte's Route-4 but outside of I-277.

Edited by southslider

There was a local annual real estate forum just held recently, and they highlighted apartments as an area of strength as we come out of the recession. The reason being that due to tightened credit standards, approximately 35% of the population that wants to by won't be able to qualify for a loan, driving demand to apartments. This is all well and good if local employment rebounds in a strong way (and there is some cause for optimisim in the Good News Report thread), but I've been bearish on South End apartments for almost the last 2 years on these threads. There are still 2 other complexes (Millineum and 1225 S Church) that will be completed next year to add to the huge oversupply.

If I was a lender, I'd delay for at least 1 more year before signing on to a deal (looking at 2012 completions), but as a passive bystander who sees benefits in oversupply driving down rents and increasing the number of urban dwellers, I'm glad to see it moving forward.

The first and third is Millennium. The second is Camden Southend (which has been there a while, it was just repainted last spring). Millennium is getting it's landscaping on right now, and near as I can tell all those electric meters will remain as visible as they are right now. The sidewalk goes up virtually to the building where those meters are, so there isn't much room for planting. Maybe they'll fashion some kind of casing that goes over them.

Incidentally, 1420 Church (about 3 blocks from there) is jumping on board the color bandwagon. There is a really deep red being used and some funky shade of green. As with Camden's repainting, I like that more color is being used beyond builder beige. I just wish they were better colors.

• 2 weeks later...

Realized I meant 1225 Church in that prior post...

Anyway, on the same topic, that project is chugging along. Along Church Street, it looks like they're fronting the street with one-story brick (retail?!) space.

And just across Church at the corner of Quicy St, a new (office?!) building has sprung out of nowhere. Don't know anything about this one, but matches the height of 1225 Church (4 stories).

Yes on both counts.....it will be a retail space at the corner of Church and Lincoln on the ground floor of the apartments. The building across the street I believe is only 3 stories, and will be a single-tenant office building for Flores & Assoc, so no ground floor retail, though it should have a relatively urban siting.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris Branch has applied for the building permits for the 9-unit townhouse project that is supposed to go at Camden and Tryon where the current parking lot is between the Canine Cafe building and the Trolley Museum.

They didn't waste much time. They have already started tearing up the asphalt on this very small parcel. Nice to see continued development in Southend.

post-18626-12625490912996_thumb.jpg

Smaller is better than big in South End in my opion....it contributes to the areas architecturally organic vibe, unlike Circle South End.

Agreed, what I would do for 1000 projects of this magnitude in the greater center city area! I would be ecstatic for even 20 of these projects to happen in Southend.

Even though the American Apparel location in Southend is apparently for lease (pending AA's closure?), AA "billboards" keep popping up in different locations in Southend. I noticed some plastered up on the first floor of the boarded up Ascot Inn today. I like it. Almost enough to go buy something there :)

South End Towns broke ground last week. 9 brick 3 level townhomes being built beside the Trolley Museum and adjacent to the Bland Street light rail station. 6 or 7 of the 9 are pre-sold - prices start at $249,000

Boulevard Company is also building 60+ brick townhomes at Church and Summit in South End - 1000 SF for $149,000 - there is a launch party for this next Thursday at Carraba's

Boulevard Company is also building 60+ brick townhomes at Church and Summit in South End - 1000 SF for $149,000 - there is a launch party for this next Thursday at Carraba's

Too bad we couldn't get something like that in uptown (in a sort of low to midrise fashion)... Those would sell like hotcakes. Though, I'm betting these in South End will still do well.

Edited by dbull75

^ Don't be surprised if you do see something like this in uptown - like something Just like this - not certain yet but proposed

I am so glad that someone got the memo that NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE UPSCALE CONDOS! Real people like real housing with real prices :thumbsup: And real people make cities more REAL.

^ Don't be surprised if you do see something like this in uptown - like something Just like this - not certain yet but proposed

Hopefully it is proposed for some of those ugly vacant lots near Bofa Stadium. That area is worse than the vacant lots near TWC arena.

As for South End projects, I must say that I am VERY impressed with Charlotte's effort to bring "real" urban life so close to the LYNX. I was shocked at the level of development going on near the Mecklenburg Area Catholic schools' headquarters in South End. The condos and row houses in this area doesn't even look like "Charlotte". It almost looks like something out of Baltimore or Pittsburgh. I LOVE IT!

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/01/18/story5.html

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planning/Rezoning/Rezoning+Petitions/2010+Petitions/2010-022.htm

The Strawn CHA site redevelopment plans are moving forward slightly. Rezoning plans are now posted, which will reconnect the grid in the area and rezone the land for transit supportive use.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Charlotte&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=30.130288,55.107422&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Charlotte,+Mecklenburg,+North+Carolina&ll=35.214648,-80.851285&spn=0.003787,0.006727&t=h&z=17

This site is currently a fairly large set of cottages that screws with the grid of Dilworth a block or so from the Bland Station of the Lynx. Cleveland Ave and Caldwell Street will be connected to create a continuous street parallel to South Blvd. Bland Street will now cross South Blvd and connect indirectly with Mt Vernon.

They will divide the land into 5 types of development:

A) Townhouses facing Euclid

B) Development scaled up according to the TOD ordinance

C) Open space

D) 130' height development

E) 200' height development

F) Existing Strawn Tower

Basically, this will create new smaller blocks with TOD and scaling up from townhouses at Euclid to ~15 story buildings on South Blvd around the current Strawn tower, which will get a $12m renovation by the CHA this summer.