SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I've been trying to figure that out. I guess it was two or three weeks ago that I first noticed that all of Jillian's doors had brown paper taped up over the inside. There's nothing that indicates it is closed, necessarily, so I assumed they might have started some interior renovations or something. Who knows.

Any of the insiders know if something is happening at the NE corner of Carson and S Tryon? It's cheap gravel parking right now, but a big sign has been posted that it will not be available for parking after March 31.

Well, Code Enforcement says it's "Carson Diner," which could be very cool. They're crankin' on some site work already

Well, Code Enforcement says it's "Carson Diner," which could be very cool. They're crankin' on some site work already

Without knowing a single detail other than the name, I am already excited for some reason. I am fantasizing about how this is going to be the new late night hangout, open 24 hours, etc....but that's just my imagination working off of those two words - "Carson Diner". Oh well, fingers crossed.

Some interesting occupancy numbers in today's CBJ:

Circle: 236 of 360 units occupied (66% occupancy -- 54 leases signed in March) (I would have never guessed that occupancy was this high based on driving by)

Millenium: 44% occupancy (largely due to a corporate housing contract)

The article (on apartment vacancy rates throughout Charlotte) was quite upbeat despite numbers like these.

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte/stories/2010/04/05/story1.html?ana=e_ph

^ that doesn't seem bad at all given how recently those buildings opened, millennium especially!

i have friends at the Ashton and it is starting to fill up nicely too, if i had to guess i'd say it's at about 60-70%. they have raised their rents this year. Spectrum might have trouble luring tenants over these other buildings because of a more isolated location, but they've dropped rents to absurdly low prices given the amenities of the building and quality of the units, which are the best of the bunch in some respects but Ashton is still probably tops overall.

I was down in Southend last weekend and got to say that I'm loving the density that is going on. It's making Charlotte feel much more than just Uptown as far as "city".

Would love to see some more low-rise commercial/retail space mixed into the area, but thinks that the whole area is really amazing compared to just a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

^ Fantastic news yahoo.gif No long wait for construction. The blurb said it will dropped in location soon and will be open in a month. The place will be a hit with the new residents of surrounding apts. And the clientele will definitely be diverse given the immediate neighbors shok.gif

After being quiet (again) for a while, dirt is moving again across from Home Economist at "The Colonial" site. For being a relatively flat lot, they're doing some pretty significant site work. It looks like storm systems and grading are going in for the Poindexter extension. I'm not holding my breath, but it's good to see movement in that vast stretch of ready-and-waiting South Blvd.

After being quiet (again) for a while, dirt is moving again across from Home Economist at "The Colonial" site. For being a relatively flat lot, they're doing some pretty significant site work. It looks like storm systems and grading are going in for the Poindexter extension. I'm not holding my breath, but it's good to see movement in that vast stretch of ready-and-waiting South Blvd.

I noticed that too. Although I think at best its just the roadwork for Poindexter for the immediate future. My guess is that Colonial has the $ to build now, but simply can't ignore the vacancy rates in the area and needs to wait for more saturation of all the new units.

About the aforementioned "Carson Diner" - CBJ says owner of Uptown Cabaret purchased a diner in Kings Mountain and is moving it to this location. It will be called Midnight Diner and will be open 24 hours with seating for 110. http://charlotte.biz...9/tidbits1.html

Does anyone know when the diner should arrive in Charlotte? I passed through Kings Mountain Wednesday and could see a diner on the south/east side of the freeway on a tandem chassis ready for transport. Must be the Carson Diner, unless there is a really weird coincidence. It would be interesting to see what route they take to get the big chrome box into place.

I noticed that too. Although I think at best its just the roadwork for Poindexter for the immediate future. My guess is that Colonial has the $ to build now, but simply can't ignore the vacancy rates in the area and needs to wait for more saturation of all the new units.

Poindexter extension now appears to be completely graded

The dueling ads amongst Millenium,Spectrum,Circle et al have been interesting to read. The Millenium features a tanning booth for residents. I guess that is one way to stand out. One of my former neighbors in my quad recently moved into Spectrum after getting engaged. A package came for him so I went over to take it to his new apt. I only went into the lobby but it was very cool and modern without being overdone IMO. The complex seemed pretty busy. Given their slightly more isolated location I would think the competition would be slightly ahead but I like Spectrum's design the best.

Edited by Forrest

Does anyone know when the diner should arrive in Charlotte? I passed through Kings Mountain Wednesday and could see a diner on the south/east side of the freeway on a tandem chassis ready for transport. Must be the Carson Diner, unless there is a really weird coincidence. It would be interesting to see what route they take to get the big chrome box into place.

Apparently it arrived last night.

http://cltblog.com/6717

Got a couple of cell snaps earlier today. This thing looks sweet, I can't wait until it opens!

SSPX0269.jpg

SSPX0271.jpg

Edited by tozmervo

I heard a parking lot for Pepsi. So no apartments just yet.

Gotta say I think the complex behind the Diocese on Church St is fugly. Looks like an overdone Disney timeshare to me. Really can't understand the small boxy spaces along the street, what is that supposed to be? Just looks cheap.

Drove past the recently offloaded Diner last night. Can't wait yahoo.gif

i don't mind the church st. development (1225 i think), and don't think anyone would really complain about it if it weren't for the questionable color choice. i'm still glad they tried.

those are 2 retail spaces in front, and although they do look kind of awkward, as if the ceilings would be really low or something, i just like the fact that they don't look like every retail space in every other apartment building. i can almost see anything BUT another run of the mill restaurant or bar there.

Jeez, that's some bizarre looking retail space. Regardless of my distaste for the building's aesthetics it's ridiculous that none of the already online complexes have retail. If this one adds something beyond a random convenience store/drycleaners I will be stoked.

While dry cleaners/c-stores are boring, they are really critical for creating an urban environment because they allow residents access to necessities, which puts feet on the street instead of cars. By having the basics, it creates a "walking character" for an area, which will promote more people wanting to move to the area which at some point way in the future more interesting retail.

Overall, the project is Ho Hum but certainly more urban than Circle South End.