SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

The sign that's up at the site has a rendering on it, but it's more of a tightly-cropped context photo. From what I could see, it looked pretty typical of Southend complexes and was heavy on the brick, reminding me most of Spectrum.

Also, dirt is finally moving on the 2nd phase of 1225 South Church that I mentioned earlier.

Edited by nonillogical

Look at the new rezoning petitions, it appears 2 more apartment projects are planned for South End.

Woodfield Investments (the developer of Elizabeth Square) is looking to build at the corner of Griffith and the new Poindexter Extension, in the old Silos at South End project. The site backs up the LRT tracks, directly across the tracks from where Colonial is building.

Also, it appears the Simpson Lighting site (1200 South Blvd) has been sold to Cambridge Development Group based in Houston. I know nothing about them, but looking at their website, it appears they do mostly apartments. Their site lists Charlotte as an upcoming new construction location, but offers no details or renderings.

Woodfield Investments (the developer of Elizabeth Square) is looking to build at the corner of Griffith and the new Poindexter Extension, in the old Silos at South End project. The site backs up the LRT tracks, directly across the tracks from where Colonial is building.

I don't know how to decode this stuff... what is this?

http://charlotteraleigh.citybizlist.com/14/2011/6/30/Fountains-at-Newbern-Station-Raises-1.9M--cbl.aspx

It's gone unmentioned so far, but the little warehouse buildings at Remount and South have been getting renovated for the past few months. Canine Cafe is due to move into one of the spaces soon. The New Bern area feels like it'll explode once money starts to flow again.

It's gone unmentioned so far, but the little warehouse buildings at Remount and South have been getting renovated for the past few months. Canine Cafe is due to move into one of the spaces soon. The New Bern area feels like it'll explode once money starts to flow again.

I saw that last time i was in town, looks kinda weird with the plain wood around the doors... Is the canine cafe MOVING or expanding? Because I liked it being on camden, that would be a major blow for "downtown south end"

I saw that last time i was in town, looks kinda weird with the plain wood around the doors... Is the canine cafe MOVING or expanding? Because I liked it being on camden, that would be a major blow for "downtown south end"

Yes, they are definitely moving to the building at Remount & South - not expanding. Their old location is for lease now.

As for that being a major blow to SouthEnd, I think an even bigger blow is that American Apparel finally closed. We all had heard rumors, but I noticed today that windows are now papered up, and the website no longer lists the SouthEnd location, so I think it's final.

There is a lot of vacant space in SouthEnd now:

1. Former BeeMan/Spenzac store at Summit & Tryon (~6 months vacant)

2. Former Furniture Solutions building across from Amos' (~6 months vacant)

3. Former Canine Cafe store

4. Former American Apparel Store

Truth is, I live a block away, and I won't personally miss shopping at any of the stores that used to be there. I never patronized any of them, but I appreciated the retail energy some of them brought to the area. Of course stores can't stay in business just on a good vibe that they give to a neighborhood. I am really hoping that these vacant spaces are an opportunity in disguise for some local boutiques to open up. A local coffee shop would be key to this area, too.

Well, this just made my day. Looks like this'll be opening up in the Circle.

" [World of Beer] is coming to Charlotte! As of July 2011, our expected opening date is estimated to be September 2011"

http://southend.wobusa.com/

Where's the "like" button? :alc: Looks like this location will only be one of four locations outside of florida. That's pretty nifty IMO. Too bad they don't have any Australian beers from the the looks of the current location menus. :cry:

Well, this just made my day. Looks like this'll be opening up in the Circle.

" [World of Beer] is coming to Charlotte! As of July 2011, our expected opening date is estimated to be September 2011"

http://southend.wobusa.com/

500 beers? I'm so there when it opens... Great news. And love that Circle is filling in some retail spots (finally). I'm not sure on the logistics but to me, one of the open areas would be great for a Starbucks (or other) coffee shop. Perhaps parking may be an issue.

I don't know how to decode this stuff... what is this?

http://charlotterale...-1.9M--cbl.aspx

I meant to respond to this earlier. This is most likely a different development from either the Colonial or Woodfield proposals near Newbern. I'm guessing it's for the old Broad Street Partner's site that went into foreclosure a couple of years ago that was at the inersection of New Bern and Foster Ave.

The firm referenced our link is a new development group headed by Wyatt Dixon, who used to run Summit Properties Charlotte area development. He left when Camden took over, and kicked around a few firms since then. His new group recently broke ground on their first place up in Mooresville. The current head of Charlotte development for Woodfield used to work for him back at Summit, but I'm pretty certain this is a completely separate project.

If there are in fact 3 apartment developments going up within 2 blocks of New Bern, that's going to add close to 2000 new people to that area. Chic-Fil-A will love that!

Well dang, they're just going for broke now. The warehouse across from Mac's is being demo'd now.

If you go to the front page of today's Charlotte Biz journal, there's an article about the rise of Charlotte's rental market. One of the projects discussed there is the one atlrvr mentioned Wyatt Dixon's involvement on. It's a 208 unit project called the Fountains at New Bern Station. If anyone has a subscription, I'm sure you could get more info about that project and others that are popping up.

Edited by dbull75

If you go to the front page of today's Charlotte Biz journal, there's an article about the rise of Charlotte's rental market. One of the projects discussed there is the one atlrvr mentioned Wyatt Dixon's involvement on. It's a 208 unit project called the Fountains at New Bern Station. If anyone has a subscription, I'm sure you could get more info about that project and others that are popping up.

To highlight:

1. Woodfield is focusing on 1.7 acres west of the intersection of Griffith Street and Poindexter Drive, near South Boulevard, for its project. Chad Hagler, a partner with Woodfield, says the site is under contract, but he declines to elaborate on how many units the firm will build if the rezoning is approved.

2. Houston-based apartment developer Cambridge Development Group has filed a rezoning petition for the Simpson Lighting Co. site on South Boulevard, near the Carson Boulevard station. Harris Development Group previously planned a mixed-use project at the nearly 3-acre site. A call to Cambridge was not returned.

3. And according to real estate sources, JLB Partners, another apartment development firm from Texas, is in the process of purchasing land from Cherokee Investment Partners, the Raleigh firm that has assembled more than 20 acres in South End, between Dunavant Street and South Boulevard. A call to JLB was not returned.

4. The activity isn’t limited to the south corridor. Crescent Resources is planning a 350-unit complex near Piedmont Town Center, and The Bissell Cos. included up to 600 units in a recent rezoning petition for Ballantyne Corporate Park.

5. And in uptown Charlotte, where the 27-story Catalyst apartment tower sold for a record price earlier this year, more apartments may be on the way as well. Ravin Partners, a new development firm headed by David Ravin, formerly president of Crosland’s residential division, also is working to secure capital for multifamily projects in several markets, including Charlotte. According to sources, one of those could be 500 West Trade, a 2.7-acre site uptown where Crosland once planned a 400-unit apartment development, a project that was shelved when the economy soured.

6.Childress Klein will be looking at garden-style and infill apartment projects in the Carolinas, Virginia, Georgia and Florida. The firm is scouting sites in Charlotte, Raleigh and Charleston, S.C., for its first project, and Dunbar says the Queen City is seeing plenty of interest.

“It’s certainly a rising tide,” he says. “It seems like every developer has showed up in Charlotte overnight. It’s very competitive.”

• 2 weeks later...

newbernscan1sm-01.jpg

Fountains at New Bern Station :-) for your viewing pleasure.

info below, going for LEED certification

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that the Ascot Inn is fenced off and rooms are being gutted. Not positive but it looks like its being demolished soon. Any known plans for that site? I wonder if it was seen as a deterrent to other potential projects on nearby blocks.

Uptown Cabaret looks like its getting some kind of expansion, building out to fill the rest of that corner-shaped block on its southeast side.

Yeah, I've been trying to decide if they're going to demo the building or renovate it. They're covering the windows with plastic, so they're either removing asbestos so they can demo the building... or they're renovating it. Will have to walk by and check out the posted permit for clues.

^I noticed that the at the end of the article it says that it would likely be something "taller" than what was there (Ascot Inn). Sounds as if there's a fair amount of interest there. I guess it could be a Panthers tailgate spot for the time being, but could be a prime location for a ~10 story apartment building.

The Ascot Inn is now owned by the same person as who owns the Uptown Cabaret.  Back in 2007-2008, Grubb Properties was going to jointly develop the two sites, and eliminate the angular section of College, to create a larger development.  This project is obviously dead, but Dominick (the owner) has stated before that he had vision for the site similar to Midtown Plaza in Atlanta, which is 2 ~20 story condo towers with a grocery store and other retail at the base.