SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

^ The unit at South & Bland is actually a lot bigger than it initially seems. I'm thinking that is probably where its going.

I thought a small pub would be great for the smaller space facing the lightrail, but the starbucks comment made me start thinking that a coffee shop would actually be even better there. It's ridiculous to me that there's not a coffee shop in the neighborhood.

(how the heck do you quote with the new software????)

Roughly the same way as you did with the previous version. Click Quote and then scroll down to the bottom where the quick reply is and your quote should appear and you can then type underneath/above it. Alternatively you can use the MultiQuote button.

• 2 weeks later...

I _think_ this is a new announcement, forgive me if not.

Today's CBJ reports that Texas based JLB partners will build a 280 unit apartment complex called Southline Apartments on 11 acres bounded by Remount, Dunavant and Hawkins (I believe these are all the old concrete pads beside the tracks).

Once again I'll say that CATS should lean on some of these developers to pay for an infill station around Dunavant and Atherton -- this would make the stop distance between East/West and New Bern about the same as the intown portion of the line.

Just South Woodfield investments (new developer of the Silos site) has reached a cost share agreement with the city on the Poindexter grade crossing.

EDIT: http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/print-edition/2011/08/26/jlb-proposes-280-apartments-for-tract.html

Edited by kermit

Once again I'll say that CATS should lean on some of these developers to pay for an infill station around Dunavant and Atherton -- this would make the stop distance between East/West and New Bern about the same as the intown portion of the line.

When the proposal changed from more intense mixed-use to low-rise, frame-built residential, the partnership opportunities and even private-sector participation were lost. Another problem is the lack of City funding right now for an Iverson Way extension opposite Lowe's to even access an infill station.

• 2 weeks later...

392091824.jpg

And they would be correct.

(In the footsteps of the JFG sign, the sign in this photo may have been *ahem* saved)

According the the O, The owner of the property did not even know it was being demolished! THATS CLASSSSSSSSICCCC!!!

The Ascot, despite its joke of a reputation, WAS doing some business, and I have to imagine that it was pulling in more money than another half-empty parking lot will. Granted that's with upkeep costs and wages that a parking lot doesn't have, and I'm not in a position to do all the math on that. Anyway, I have hopes that the demolition means that something is in the works in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

Modern Lighting (beside where Canine Cafe used to be) is moving to East Blvd near East Blvd. Bar & Grill. That leaves another empty space in South End. Though I'd like to think that this just makes way for more desirable retail, there are already three other spots on this same block that have sat empty for a while.

Modern Lighting (beside where Canine Cafe used to be) is moving to East Blvd near East Blvd. Bar & Grill. That leaves another empty space in South End. Though I'd like to think that this just makes way for more desirable retail, there are already three other spots on this same block that have sat empty for a while.

Yeah I was going to mention this. That corner has too much potential and consistent pedestrian presence (in spite of the vacancies) to fail IMO, but its taking longer to pick back up than I thought. I think the best recipe for success though would be for several places to open at almost the same time, and maybe thats part of the delay. Say a bar, a restaurant, a boutique, and a coffee shop/ice cream place. They would all feed off each other really nicely there.

One other comment I just have to make - I really wish Modern Fabrics would take down the rest of the American Apparel sign. It used to say "American Apparel. Made In Downtown LA. Vertically integrated Manufacturing." Now they just removed the words "Apparel" and "LA" in an effort to re-use the existing signage. It appears to be intentional and permanent, as they've modified signs similarly on both the front and back of the store.

Really? Who is fooled by this? Are their fabrics American? Made in downtown where? And what exactly is vertically integrated manufacturing? Even if it is all of those things (which it probably is none of them), I wouldn't try to re-use American Apparel's phrases and signage. I just find this incredibly lazy and tacky...I hope they take the rest of the signage down.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like the former Bee Man / Spenzac spot on the corner of Tryon/Summit has been leased. Here's to hoping it's not going to be:

1. A salon

2. An attorney's office

3. An insurance office

Confirmed, it's the new location for The Boulevard which closed in April in NoDa. Great addition to the neighborhood, but I still want a good restaurant on that corner, and a coffee shop!

Is Queen Bee's coffee shop not still open 2 spaces down from where AA used to be?

I don't have specific timelines for any of the new proposed South End apartment plans, but I was talking to a construction lender a week or so ago, and it seems most if not all of the proposed properties are currently talking with banks to line up construction financing, and he didn't indicate that there would be issues. Fannie and Freddie are already $80B in the hole, but it seems they have no problem guaranteeing new apartment communities right now, so I expect ground to be broken in the next 2-4 months on at least 3 of these projects.

Is Queen Bee's coffee shop not still open 2 spaces down from where AA used to be?

I don't have specific timelines for any of the new proposed South End apartment plans, but I was talking to a construction lender a week or so ago, and it seems most if not all of the proposed properties are currently talking with banks to line up construction financing, and he didn't indicate that there would be issues. Fannie and Freddie are already $80B in the hole, but it seems they have no problem guaranteeing new apartment communities right now, so I expect ground to be broken in the next 2-4 months on at least 3 of these projects.

No, I've never seen that coffee shop and have been frequenting the area ever since CM opened, so I guess its been gone for at least 2 years. I'm sure one could be supported again now. That lightrail-fronting space of the Circle building would work well for one, it's too small for much else.

I keep expecting to see dirt moving any day all over southend. My building is the newest in the neighborhood and has filled up in the last 6 months, the second is under construction, and every other building is basically full and starting to jack their prices up. The demand is definitely high right now.

Which of the proposed apartment projects are you referring to? I've kinda lost track of what's what and what "may" be happening. Hopefully I'm not the only one.

There are quite a few, 3 of which have already started the permitting process. Closest to construction are.

Colonial Grand at South End (next to Pepsi) - Colonial Properties

Fountains at New Bern (just south of New Bern LRT station) - Proffit-Dixon Partners

Southline Apartments (Remount at NW corner of LRT tracks) - JLB Partners

Currently in the financing application stage:

Woodfield at New Bern (my name for it, which is located just north of New Bern station on part of the old Silos at South End) - Woodfield Investments

1200 South (old Harris Development site just north of The Arlington next to the Carson LRT station) - Cambridge Development

Already Under Construction:

Phase II of 1225 Church St.

All together, that is probably 1500-2000 new units. Besides the 200 at 1225 Church already U/C, I would estimate that at least 3 of the other 5 will actually break ground in the next 9 months.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...