SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Axiom Architecture has posted a new rendering on their site for a South End apartment community. It is located at their intersection of West Blvd and Camden, diagonal to the LRT station. Axiom is David Furman's architecture firm, and the project name is Centro Studios, so it seems Furman would be the developer. Here is the link to the website, where there is another rendering an a site-plan. I generally think the design is OK, but think the pool fronting Camden is a big miss in terms of streetscape.

greekaerial1.jpg

barf. any new proposed development along camden should be looking at non-stop storefronts along the street, or maybe some townhome style stoops, but a POOL? asinine.

and although its not unattractive, the footprint is way bigger than i'd like. camden could develop more organically than that and would be better off.

Edited by nonillogical

• 1 month later...

The 2nd phase of 1225 South Church is starting to ramp up, with its south side reaching the 2nd floor (over the parking deck) today. It looks like its going to sit at least 1 full floor higher than the current building just because of the base level, and will be a bit longer as well, filling the entire block unlike the current building with its small front parking lot. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there will be any ground-level units with patios or stairs to the street, so the street level will not be exciting at all, but its still a lot of welcome added density IMO (unless you live in those townhomes and now have your uptown view blocked!)

while i'm not a fan of these types of projects, i'm in the camp that believes more people living close to uptown will equal more organic projects/retail/ the types of things we are looking for. I want natural, unforced growth as much as anyone else does, but we need these types of projects to bring people in, in order for that demand to exist. plus, any development is good development right now.

So this is a disappointment. Below is a rendering from the new developer's website for this scaled down project. It had been released that Cambridge Development Group was buying the site to do an apartment only project. At first glance, I thought it looked ok, but then I realized that the bottom 2 floors along South Blvd are parking garage, as well as the bottom level along Carson. What a horrible streetscape for a major commercial stretch that had a chance of having a decent retail presence, and goes against everything City Planning has been preaching regarding retail focused towards the LRT line and stations.

I'd rather this site stay blank, than forever relegate to this missed opportunity.

61_l.jpg

Besides Colonial Grand at South End receiving its building permits, JLB Partners received its permits last week for Southline Apartments.

Southline is going on the old Cherokee Partners land along Dunavant, which is where there are a bunch of concrete foundations for demolished buildings. For those that don't know Dunavant, this project goes on the north side of Remount, with the LRT tracks as its eastern boundary, and Dunavant as its Western boundary, so 1 block west (across the tracks) from Mac's Speed Shop.

In this economy it is hard to support specialty retail, which I believe the south end area has a good amount of, if I am not mistaken. I also think that the area needs a higher population with more foot traffic than it currently does to be able to hold retail better.

I'd be ok with this revamped project if it were in say, Myers Park or somewhere else in the burbs. You have to ask yourself if these guys even took the light rail into consideration when redoing the site plan. Agree with the others. A completely missed opportunity here.

Besides Colonial Grand at South End receiving its building permits, JLB Partners received its permits last week for Southline Apartments.

Southline is going on the old Cherokee Partners land along Dunavant, which is where there are a bunch of concrete foundations for demolished buildings. For those that don't know Dunavant, this project goes on the north side of Remount, with the LRT tracks as its eastern boundary, and Dunavant as its Western boundary, so 1 block west (across the tracks) from Mac's Speed Shop.

I rode by the Southline site last week, without realizing what project it was, and it looks like construction is imminent. There's already some temporary fencing around the site and the ground looks like it was graded recently.

Edited by dbull75

Want instant foot traffic and more space for small retail in South End? Allow a semi-regular pop-up market to use the vacant lot at Camden/Park beside Common Market.

That is where the current Atherton market got its start -- it worked well enough for them to move into a permanent site.

Are we sure that's parking deck along the sidewalk? I though there were MUD guidelines in place that prevents that. If it IS parking deck, I am perfectly happy to write every representative I have in the city and county to object to it. That should absolutely not be allowed to be built like that.

edit: cambridge's website on the project

Charlotte, N.C. Preparations for this new 4-Story podium design are well underway and construction should begin in early Spring of 2012....

http://www.cambridge....php?us=1&id=13

"Podium design" says "parking deck along the street" to me.

edit edit:

better yet, we could sic the Dilworth HOA on them

Edited by tozmervo