SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

^I think the previously proposed hotel site was where the multi-family project, called "Centro Studios," is now proposed.

Nothing happened with the hotel, as in the economy fell apart, and the owner stopped pursuing those plans, which also included a 19 story apartment tower, on the Worthington side of that block. RAM Realty still owns the Design Center, so maybe they will re-start those plans in the future, but botique urban infill hotels in Charlotte don't stand much of a chance getting bank financing at this point.

Centro Studios is across West Blvd from the proposed hotel site.

While we are talking about ephemeral hotels in the neighborhood there was also a proposal for a boutique hotel on East blvd on the other side of Cleveland ave from 300 East (the lots where the two old houses which have been converted to commercial space stand). Yet another Charlotte project that was lost to the bubble implosion.

Wasn't there also a 10 story (?) office building proposed to go on top of the design center (near Pikes)?

Meanwhile I just want a real grocery store on the LRT (the home economist doesn't work for me)

^ Wow, that is big news.

And no, Compare foods does not do it for me because it is all the way down in Arrowood. South End now has the critical mass of residents to make it a truely walkable neighborhood. But, based on my own provincial definintion, you gotta be able to walk to a grocery store for the neighborhood to be 'walkable.'

And speaking of walkability, is there a way to get to Compare from the station without going over the bridge to South Blvd and then doubling back?

^ Wow, that is big news.

And no, Compare foods does not do it for me because it is all the way down in Arrowood. South End now has the critical mass of residents to make it a truely walkable neighborhood. But, based on my own provincial definintion, you gotta be able to walk to a grocery store for the neighborhood to be 'walkable.'

And speaking of walkability, is there a way to get to Compare from the station without going over the bridge to South Blvd and then doubling back?

Just a RUMOR!!!

Its going to be a tough sell, because honestly, South End does not have the critical mass to support a grocery store. South End as a district only has a population of 3,000. This is why we only see limited retail options come online. However when all these new apartment projects do actually come online, critical mass will be reached. In my opinion, for a Neighborhood SouthEnd's area, we are only half way there as far as critical mass goes. We need easily another 2-3,000 residents as well as urban amenities such as on street parking, a proper urban streetscape, and a more cohesive urban district. to support real destination retail.

As it stands South End, as much as we all love it, lacks the fibers that hold a urban district together. Its a district that while it is getting more urban, still contains tons of suburban autocentric buildings, small sidewalks and it has this behemoth of an unfriendly highway running through it. South End needs to improve VASTLY before we can expect anything better.

Would rather see another Whole Foods. After living in Maryland for the last two years, I've gotten spoiled by having Whole Foods around. I don't buy everything from there, but their meat and fish selection is so much better than what you get anywhere else.

Heck, I wish Reids had moved to South End instead of BACK to Myers Park, they had a SERIOUS butcher. Best butcher I ever had! I live in Brooklyn now and my butcher is a grungy eastern european who knows his stuff, but Reids, oh how I miss them. Supposedly their new store in Myers Park has their butcher up and running but still, that uptown location was king.

Its going to be a tough sell, because honestly, South End does not have the critical mass to support a grocery store. South End as a district only has a population of 3,000.

But that's the beauty of the Strawn site, as Dilworth population would then be equally accessible. Granted, HT wouldn't go for the site, because it is too close to Kenilworth. However, an HT competitor would want sites that could end the in-town monopoly of their Kenilworth, Providence/Queens, and Plaza/Central stores. That's what makes the Elizabeth/Hawthorne site still attractive, and why Strawn also fits the bill.

Looks great. I had totally forgotten about this site. This sort of density was always what I hoped for in South End. LEED and decent looking design are nice bonuses. Also, once you have all this development at the southern end of South End, it'll help fill in all the area between Remount and Tremont that is well-gridded for an urban village.

How is this site any different than Circle South End? Both have parking decks. Both are only 4-5 stories, since stick-built. Yet both are right at stations.

I agree that mixed-use or taller would be better, but deck-wrapped multi-family is better than surface-parked apartments.

Circle is orders of magnitude better because there are 3 retail spaces (granted they're only just now getting filled), parking deck is completely hidden and the 2 entrances are unobtrusive with the main entrance actually being fairly attractive, and perhaps most notably, the ground floor is totally wrapped in apartment patios. This building is going to be blank wall along 80% of the ground floor. Just awful.

Not to mention I think Circle is more interesting looking, and while some people like the courtyards, some people hate them, I think there's no question that they're better than a blank wall and some bland landscaping.

Adaptive reuse of nearby existing buildings will add retail faster than new construction, especially in this economy, when spec-commercial is difficult to finance. These new apartments provide added purchasing power to surrounding businesses already within a 10-minute walk of the Carson and Bland stations.

As for blank walls, I don't think this site is going to be any worse than the Arlington.

I agree in principle with your comment about reuse for retail, but considering some old buildings are being torn down to build these apartments, and the PRIME retail location adjacent to Carson station and the diner, I would have thought 1 spec retail space would be doable.

However the retail is the least of my considerations in contrasting this with Circle. This is not wrapped parking, its podium parking, like 1225 S. Church, which I think is fine in more out of the way locations but pretty lazy and ugly on a main street. Circle has activity and visual interest from people's patios lining the whole building, creating a MUCH better residential environment. Here you'll be looking at parked cars instead.

Honestly, a station does not make a location that much more or less prime for retail. And in the case of Carson, the station may have been poorly located. Tremont is a better location for retail in spite of lacking a station. Bland is also a better station than Carson. But despite its name, Bland station is no better than Carson for retail, due to actual Bland Street. Rather, retail is better around "Bland," thanks to Camden Road, Park Avenue, and even Summit Avenue.

Edited by southslider

Honestly, a station does not make a location that much more or less prime for retail. And in the case of Carson, the station may have been poorly located. Tremont is a better location for retail in spite of lacking a station. Bland is also a better station than Carson. But despite its name, Bland station is no better than Carson for retail, due to actual Bland Street. Rather, retail is better around "Bland," thanks to Camden Road, Park Avenue, and even Summit Avenue.

In Charlotte a station may not make a location for retail, but in other cities that may see thousands of riders at once station, they are prime locations for retail.