SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

It really doesn't look too bad. I would hope the buildings all are at least a little architecturally unique from one another, but smallish scale buildings lining a public street is a good thing. A tiny corner store right at the intersection in the middle of all of this would be really cool, but probably not economically viable from a store-owner persepctive, or at least unit some ajacent properties are re-developed denser.

Side-note....I always thought one the old warehouses at the corner of New Bern and Griffith would be a really great spot for a "destination" coffee house....an over-the-top interior design/gourmet coffee and maybe alchol....a coffee "lounge" so to speak with big neon advertising signage on top of the building. With all these new units coming on-line, maybe it will make financial sense to having something like that soon.

I do think New Bern Station will be really popular in the future. You have lots of big sites for redevelopment, including the massive Elmhurst (?) aparment site in Sedgefield, and a lot of old warehouses that could be renovated or redeveloped that are relatively urban already as far as set-backs from the street.

I like it a lot, especially if you look at it in the context of the other buildings on surrounding lots. The Griffith-area district has a lot of potential, and with the Poindexter connection and connectivity of the streets built for the Silos project, the new residential will give it even more support.

It would be nice CCP were working on helping to brand this district and help getting sidewalks and streetscaping here instead of offering everything for the Knights. Regardless, once the residential proposed gets built and occupied, there will be a lot more interest in the boutiques in there.

I like the small buildings interspersed with the larger ones shielding the lot parking, but also creating a blend of building styles.

Poindexter-and-Silos-Rendering400.jpg

A Survey crew was marking boundaries on the (Cherokee-owned) parcel across South blvd from the Lowes / Iverson Way T intersection today.

It appears that environmental testing is underway at the above parcel as well as the vacant parcel at the NW corner of South and Remount.

In the short term, barrels and drilling rigs.

Longer term, I'll guess "urban wrap apartments" at the corner of South and Remount. I have not heard anything about the Iverson Way parcel.

Ha, i hadnt heard anything since i posted that, so i was curious if any other news was out, signs were posted yet or if you'd heard something else. Apartments on that corner parcel would certainly spruce it up.

For those who haven't been down around New Bern in a while, the amount of construction is pretty startling. At Dunavant/Remount, the apartments have popped up practically over night (wood frame construction - I wouldn't much want to live there). I'm a little bit wary of that complex coming off as really suburban, but we'll see.

Concrete columns at the Fountains have started going vertical, and the old Silos and Asphalt sites are being worked right now for foundation. Given a little work, I'd like to go back through these new complexes and figure out how many new apartments are being built around New Bern.

It appears that environmental testing is underway at the above parcel as well as the vacant parcel at the NW corner of South and Remount.

Getting some kind of infill here, especially apartments, would go a long way towards revitalizing this area of SouthEnd. That area across South Blvd from Lowes and the Southborough development has been an eyesore for years. I've been waiting for something to happen there. Partly because I own some rental property near by.

Given a little work, I'd like to go back through these new complexes and figure out how many new apartments are being built around New Bern.

Below is a summary of the work and units in SouthEnd (i've been keeping tabs from information provided here):

Total # of Existing Units in South End: 2,055

Under Construction:

Community Units Developer Product Type

1225 Church II: 200 units Mid-America 4-story urban podium

Fountains @ SE: 208 units Profitt-Dixon Garden Style (4-story)

Simpson Lighting: 200 units Cambridge 4-story urban podium

Silos: 280 units Woodfield Garden style (4-story)

JLB SouthLine: 281 units JLB Garden style (3-story)

Colonial Grand 353 units Colonial 4-story urban wrap

Total Units Under Construction: 1,522

This does not include Park and Kingston bc i dont believe they have begun construction.

• Like 1

That is awesome, and all the (likely young) population that those units will house will create a lot of really cool nightlife projects and potentially more in Southend.

I'd love to see more connections west of Tryon near Bland now that that there are all the residential projects at 1225 Church. There are some old brick storefront buildings including a barrel vault ceiling building on Bland between Winnifred and Tryon. They could make a nice extension of the nightlife that is already around Bland like Amos, World of Beer, Dharma, Marigny, Gin Mill, etc.

There are tons of opportunities, even while retaining a lot of these light industrial employers intermixed between. All you need is a peppering of cafes and bars to enliven the areas now that the residential base is nearing critical mass.

We are extremely lucky that we still have those types of buildings still standing which can support organic growth of nightlife.

It's raining in midtown manhattan, so instead of going for my usual jog at lunch I sat at my desk and started pouring through any documents I could find relating to Charlotte Apartment Construction. I finally found a rendering of Colonial Grand at South End.

Screenshot2012-06-12at11000PM.png

I don't remember seeing this anywhere, hopefully this isn't just new to me. Its more or less what I expected it to look like, nice scale, I wish it had retail.

Edited by Guest

They've recently fenced the project and have posted signs that have the name Colonial Reserve at South End versus the former signs that had Colonial Grand at South End. Not sure if one is their higher end product type versus the other. Similarly, Southline apartments, the 280 unit garden project by JLB Partners now has signs with their official name that has slipped my mind. I do remember it didn't sound like an inviting name though. Anyone remember the new name? If not, I drive by there daily, so I can make sure I remember it when I drive by later.

They've recently fenced the project and have posted signs that have the name Colonial Reserve at South End versus the former signs that had Colonial Grand at South End. Not sure if one is their higher end product type versus the other. Similarly, Southline apartments, the 280 unit garden project by JLB Partners now has signs with their official name that has slipped my mind. I do remember it didn't sound like an inviting name though. Anyone remember the new name? If not, I drive by there daily, so I can make sure I remember it when I drive by later.

http://www.clearskyimages.com/f262669799

Image of the site from clear sky.

Actually having the new name for Colonial Grand (Colonial Reserve) makes it much easier to find information.

They're going to be pricey! I found the complex listed on apartmentfinder.com already. Rents will be $1,125 - $1,761.

Honestly, it's about par for the course for apartments in the area... Maybe ~$100 or so more than some of the current places, but not out of line. I only know because I rent out a few in the area.

They're going to be pricey! I found the complex listed on apartmentfinder.com already. Rents will be $1,125 - $1,761.

I'm very surprised these are being marketed without images of what it will look like...

Honestly, it's about par for the course for apartments in the area... Maybe ~$100 or so more than some of the current places, but not out of line. I only know because I rent out a few in the area.

Still sounds high unless they are going to be very high-end, given that its comparing a sort of borderline area to other complexes that are a stones throw from Uptown and Dilworth. As nice as the area is going to eventually be, it is still currently a manufacturing block with some rough projects another 2 blocks away. When Spectrum opened their prices were drastically lower than Circle and Millenium despite being a nicer building with better finishes overall.

Then again 1225 S. Church ran us out with a 25% price increase after the first year, so maybe that's just how they all are now.

Edited by nonillogical

Wow, rents have gone up a lot since the last time I rented in Charlotte. I used to have a nice two bedroom place in Third Ward for $1050. That was only a little over two years ago.

Par for the course, sure, maybe if it were another Urban 4-story deal with structured parking, but 3-story walkup with surface parking and they're going to be asking for rents like that, is just crazy. It's going to be a blood bath for about 18 months once all those units come online at the same time and they're all competing for tenants to complete their lease up. It'll be a great time to be a renter, you should be able to get some great deals.

^ I agree, we're going to see a major dip in rental rates in about a year. Current buildings are squeezing as much as they can out of current tenants while they can, and upping their rates by ridiculous amounts every year. Most of them are revolving doors now, nobody stays more than a year. 1225 asked us for a 25% increase, and our friends at Circle, Millenium and Elizabeth Square have been asked for increases of 15-20%. Obviously nobody stayed put.