SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

2inthepink...I cannot think of a better site in South End for several high-rise buildings than on the Simpson site. Also, you might want to refer to the Zoning Ordinance section 9.1212 for clarification as to how council can change the zoning to allow for additional height. Sorry 2inthepink, you are probably going to lose all of your view.

I've always imagined being able to drive through Charlotte, instead of past Charlotte either on 77 or 277 and being shadowed by skyscrappers on all sides of you.

This is one of the main features I love about Cincinnati when traveling through it. It goes under bridges and through skyscrapers on both side it feels as if I'm driving down the main street of the city. And I always seem to drive through it at night with everything all lit up its amazing. This is exactly how I see Charlotte sooner or later. The buildings got to go somewhere and they are working their way out and right now being on the opposite end of 277 gives you the best views of the city which obviously gives the builder a reason to jack up the prices. I see the Elizabeth Avenue section being the only portion that'll stay skyscraper free, South End with the inclusion of the Light Rail was the first step in becoming the next highrise portion of the city.

I'd like to see most of the transit areas stay capped at 120', but I think what is special about the Simpson site that makes it worthy of taller buildings is the fact that it is next to the Arlington and next to land zoned for unlimited height. We need a transition zone and specifically requested variances are likely a good way to do it. (9.1212 as mentioned above does point to a higher degree of flexibility for TOD zones).

My hope would be that they can work it out to be quite tall, but then have the taller side closer to South, so as to not disrupt anyone's views. However, it is not in the city's interest to deny the density that is being proposed for this site. If there is anyplace that warrants a taller tower, it is this one, predominantly because the Arlington is there as precedent.

Dubone..I have been looking at this from many angles. Literately and figuratively.

I agree it would be best for all if the tallest (over 120') we placed on the front half (S. Blvd side) of the property.

Harris and would get the density they desire ,The Arlington would retain a good bit of the current views and the sidewalk at the

tracks would not get closed in as much.

There is ANOTHER proposed apartment community in South End. Post Properties is planning Post Plaza South at the corner of Remount and South Blvd. I don't have an exact parcel, but I'm assuming this is part of Cherokee/Greenhawk's large land assemblage there. The apartment community will be 300 units.

Edit.

Actually, I just googled that name, and according to Post's SEC filings, they are planning 425 units with 25k sq. ft. of retail.

There is ANOTHER proposed apartment community in South End. Post Properties is planning Post Plaza South at the corner of Remount and South Blvd. I don't have an exact parcel, but I'm assuming this is part of Cherokee/Greenhawk's large land assemblage there. The apartment community will be 300 units.

Nice. Great to see a wave of rentals along the rail line.

This is great news in many ways. Post seems to do their projects well, and it is good to see some movement on Greenhawk's land, even if they only plan to do it small increments over a long time.

Apartments seem to be a great way to go to offset some of the condominium growth of the last little while. But they are great in other ways because they can simply begin fairly soon after announcement as they don't need presales or contracts. They usually have their money lined up by the time they become public.

It is strange to see so many of these SouthEnd projects being apartments. But it is great to see them all be transit-oriented and have fairly nice designs and density, rather than the standard suburban apartment model.

Apartments seem to be a great way to go to offset some of the condominium growth of the last little while. But they are great in other ways because they can simply begin fairly soon after announcement as they don't need presales or contracts. They usually have their money lined up by the time they become public.

Quite true and likely a reaction to the slow down and delays in the condo construciton boom and the current credit crunch. If people can't buy for whatever reason they still need a place to live. Last Fall when sales slowed in Charlotte the rental market tightened up to a degree that I've not seen in a long time. Rents went up as a result as well.

I see this as a great corridor for rentals -- hopefully this injection will keep Southend momentum going and when things get better with the banks a good mix of condos will be peppered in as well.

NOW...when will this area get MORE RETAIL!!

While it isn't designed in the most urban way, the strip mall that includes the Home Economist is a decent amount of retail, although as strip malls go, it isn't that bad, as it is not that far from the sidewalk. These people will at least have a bank, a post office, a grocer, and not a few restaurants to walk to. (Also, it was announced in the CBJ today that the guy who owns Forum is working on a place in the retail next to Silos on Remount).

That said, it is great that they are including retail in each of these projects. I hope that they get some retailers that are more than just the boring standard. We need random boutiques to start growing and thriving all along the rail corridor.

As someone that frequents the Marsh strip malls, I would kill for a decent coffee shop in the area (say, for instance, on my walk to the train station...) I also wouldn't mind someone putting Sedgefield Drugs out of its misery.

Otherwise, yes, we've already got some pretty well established neighborhood stores in place. As always, the more the merrier!

It looks like The Reserve at South End is moving forward. This is an apartment project planned for the site of the old Welder's Supply complex across from where Lowe's is going up. No renderings yet that I have seen.

Edit. When this was first announced, they were planning 10k sq. ft. of retail...hopefully that still the case.

I keep seeing an add for a condo project called The Atrium @ Park Ave but the web address in the ad is non functional (atriumparkave.com).

I believe this is the project under construction at Bland and S Blvd across from Jillians. I am very interested in this project but cannot seem to find anything. The location is superb!

Someone at work mentioned The Atrium today, but no one knows anything about it. Also, I hope that, having "Park Ave" in the name, it is actually on Park Ave and not across from Jillian's.

Nix that - www.atriumparkave.com works.

In an apparent attempt to be confusing, The Atrium has the same street address as Park Avenue Plaza. It looks like PAP has been rebranded.

Edited by tozmervo

Someone at work mentioned The Atrium today, but no one knows anything about it. Also, I hope that, having "Park Ave" in the name, it is actually on Park Ave and not across from Jillian's.

Nix that - www.atriumparkave.com works.

In an apparent attempt to be confusing, The Atrium has the same street address as Park Avenue Plaza. It looks like PAP has been rebranded.

Yea thats exactly what it is. Looking at the interior rendering, it is definately the same "atrium" as park avenue plaza, apparently they felt it was the most unique part about the building.

Yea thats exactly what it is. Looking at the interior rendering, it is definately the same "atrium" as park avenue plaza, apparently they felt it was the most unique part about the building.

They have the same contracts/units for sale too, so yes- it appears to the be the same project. Interesting that they have both websites and no news. Maybe they are giving both names a shot.

I've hearing that Chelsea South End has been put on "hold" as of today. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm partial to this area so I really liked this project although I've suspected this would happen.

Unfortunately, it is true.

My fiancee and I put a deposit on a Chelsea South End condo and got a call today to tell us we would be getting a refund of our deposit shortly. Basically, they did not sell 50% of the available units and could not move forward with construction. I think it also involved their lenders requiring enough secured deposits before they would finance. We had, what I thought, the best unit in the place for the price and I was really excited by it. I was told we would be the first to know if things change and we might end up with everything the same. Victim of the housing downturn, and it sucks :-/

Thanks for sharing with us Queens Tony. Assuming it was a place to move in to, there should be a decent number of others that you can now look to.

In some ways, the consolidation is sad, as some of these projects are farther from the activity and might help to anchor newer redevelopment. But at the same time, if there is going to be a tough market, then having a couple of proposals shelved so that others can succeed is a good thing. Better than for them all to be sold and have a glut of extra condos.

Although, hopefully there will be some degree of over-supply. The days of pent up demand and inability to find places for urban living in Charlotte are hopefully going away.

It looks like they are requesting a rezoning for the added height but not sure I see the difference from the rendering.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2008-088.htm

It appears to be a hotel, have lots of street retail and another building that is controversial is office space. They now have a third building which is residential.

They are requesting a 230' maximum height.