SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

In that link I posted just above, in exchange for the random pieces of city land near the rail line, the city would get improvements, but I'm not sure if it included the intersection or just the sidewalks and such. The city at large needed that intersection more than just the developer of that one parcel. It is a big connection between northern Dilworth and the light rail station, and to allow more east-west connectivity toward the fledgeling northern part of Southend/Wilmore.

• 3 weeks later...

Construction updates:

Colonial: Interior parking deck appears nearly finished. Slabs have been poured for about half of the residential space

Fountains: I didn't get a good look today but I believe that most framing is nearly complete.

Silos: It appears that the wood footings have been finished. Plumbing has been set for most (perhaps all) of the buildings. Slab pouring should be soon.

Junction 1504(?): Buildings near Remount are nearly complete on exterior, buildings near Spectrum are merely framed. Clubhouse space (in center near the tracks) appers to be nearly complete. The leasing office (on Dunavant) was packed today around 12:30 and they were taking prospective tenants on tours of the clubhouse and one building (with hardhats). Based on a brief peak I would say that there is a great deal of leasing interest in the complex.

The bike / pedestrian path along side Junction 15whatever is now complete and useable but still gated off (you can get around the gates at both ends however). The path is a nice improvement over the old asphalt. Its now wider, flatter and concreat and it matches the stretch fronting Spectrum.

It also appears that a sub shop (I forget the name) is opening up in the Remont rd complex where Canine Cafe is located.

No signs of pending demolition at the Centro site on Camden and East West.

• Like 1

I'm glad the bike path has been reopened. I can't wait to bike by and see some of those changes in person.

Watching how Circle and Mosaic really helped increase the activity and importance of the Bland station area, I cannot wait to see the changes around New Bern that result from all the new residents.

• 2 weeks later...

A few observations in the hood:

1) The bike path along the rail line at Junction 1504 has been closed again

2) Junction 1504 appears to have one building complete and about 6 others nearly complete. High levels of activity at the leasing center was seen again today (Saturday afternoon)

3) Triple C was VERY busy today. Lots of activity drinking outside and they now appear to have a food truck in semi-perminant residence

4) It looked liked there is significant new leasing activity in the industrial / warehouse space around Spectrum and also around Triple C

5) Drywall was going up at crispy crepe on Saturday afternoon -- looks like work is just getting started inside.

6) The new Nova's has a _very_ good selection of baked goods. As a coffee shop its only so so.

• Like 1

A few observations in the hood:

1) The bike path along the rail line at Junction 1504 has been closed again

2) Junction 1504 appears to have one building complete and about 6 others nearly complete. High levels of activity at the leasing center was seen again today (Saturday afternoon)

3) Triple C was VERY busy today. Lots of activity drinking outside and they now appear to have a food truck in semi-perminant residence

4) It looked liked there is significant new leasing activity in the industrial / warehouse space around Spectrum and also around Triple C

5) Drywall was going up at crispy crepe on Saturday afternoon -- looks like work is just getting started inside.

6) The new Nova's has a _very_ good selection of baked goods. As a coffee shop its only so so.

One last observation.

Park at Kingston has begun construction. 150 apartments in two 4 story buildings on top of podium parking with courtyards and etc.

Also could this be a rendering for Colonial Reserve? I don't know, the site doesn't look the be the right shape, and the units are off by 100, but the name is very close... who knows.

Edited by Guest

Not sure about Park & Kingston. I was by there today and didn't see anything happening. Did you mean 330 W Tremont? Site work and podium work is being done there.

Reserve at South End is a different project than Colonial Reserve. It was a deal that Atlantic Realty had tied up a few years back. It's the site on South across from Lowe's off corner from the light that is adjacent to Atherton Mill. This deal has been dead for some time and is the alleged Publix site now.

Edited by Prodev

Really? I went by there yesterday and there was nothing going on.

And...podium parking? In this location? Incredibly depressing. Is there a rendering anywhere?

Been trying to find a rendering all day. I assume Podium based on the below description.

The development will consist of two four-story buildings, one along West Kingston Avenue and the other along West Park Avenue, between Camden Road and South Tryon Street. The property is owned by a Merrifield affiliate and sits just behind a commercial strip in South End that includes well-known eatery Price’s Chicken Coop.

The complex will consist of one-bedroom units exclusively, albeit with a variety of floor plans. It will include amenities such as two courtyards, a swimming pool that backs up to South Tryon, a rooftop terrace, exercise center, coffee bar and covered parking.

Not sure about Park & Kingston. I was by there today and didn't see anything happening. Did you mean 330 W Tremont? Site work and podium work is being done there.

Reserve at South End is a different project than Colonial Reserve. It was a deal that Atlantic Realty had tied up a few years back. It's the site on South across from Lowe's off corner from the light that is adjacent to Atherton Mill. This deal has been dead for some time and is the alleged Publix site now.

425970_10151023412636207_1157110260_n.jpg

Picture of Preliminary site work going on at Park & Kingston.

Edited by Guest

Saw the site work on my way to lunch. Wow this one really came out of nowhere. Based on that description that ricky davis posted it DOES sound like podium parking, but given the placement with 2 buildings and 2 not huge street facing sides I think its possible that the parking could sit in the middle of the lot and the street frontage be taken up by lobby/amenity space. However the line about a swimming pool that backs up to S. Tryon makes me less optimistic about the thoughtfulness of this project.

I'm assuming if there were any hope of retail then that description would have included it. Anything would be better than the side of a parking deck ala 1225 S. Church (which still managed to include some awkward but appreciated retail). A rooftop deck sounds nice, I've been wondering why more of these buildings do not include them.

Edited by nonillogical

I'm flying blind on this project, I haven't seen a siteplan and it irks me. WIth that said, I'm just happy to have 200 new residents in the neighborhood, the retail will come...someday. My question is... Who the hell wants to swim along S. Tryon though.

^Ironically, since the Cherokee/Pappas/Southline folks fought another street crossing of the LYNX here, CATS can continue to say no to even a pedestrian crossing. And as a result, Spectrum and Junction 1504 residents may have no easy way to walk to an urban grocery store.

It seems CATS will fight any crossing, street or ped, due to safety and operational concerns. Currently, LYNX trains run faster south of Tremont than north of Tremont. However, with the coming addition of the Poindexter crossing and the TOD growth around New Bern, one has to wonder how higher speeds south of Tremont can continue, even without any additional crossings between Tremont and Remount.

Clearly, if TOD is to spread south of Tremont (ideally to Scaleybark, not just New Bern), CATS will need to accept a couple minutes of additional runtime on the corridor. The I-485 commuters may complain, but that's a trade-off of Charlotte's growth strategy. Besides, the few minutes added to LYNX's trip will be far less than the added time one will ultimately experience if instead choosing to drive the comparable length of South Boulevard or I-77.

Although this hasn't closed, it's very far along and big news for South End. Camden and Publix are teaming up to vertically integrate retail/grocer with apartments on the 8ac site across from the Lowe's on South Blvd.

Excellent!

When you say retail/grocer do you mean that there will be retail in addition to the Publix in the building? (he asked hopefully...)

^Ironically, since the Cherokee/Pappas/Southline folks fought another street crossing of the LYNX here, CATS can continue to say no to even a pedestrian crossing. And as a result, Spectrum and Junction 1504 residents may have no easy way to walk to an urban grocery store.

I've wondered about this for a while, since you feel VERY cut off from everything when you are on that stretch of the lightrail path. The lack of an Iverson extension/crossing doesn't bother me ultimately, but it seems like a pedestrian crossing is inevitable no matter what gets built on this site.

Although this hasn't closed, it's very far along and big news for South End. Camden and Publix are teaming up to vertically integrate retail/grocer with apartments on the 8ac site across from the Lowe's on South Blvd.

Wow, this is huge. It will really fill in that part of SouthEnd and make it feel connected. Any idea on the scale of the apartment component? As some of the others have mentioned, hopefully this opens up to some sort of better connectivity with the other side of the LYNX line. Perhaps a bridge crosswalk.

^ Monstrous good? Monstrous bad? I'm assuming you mean good...

As for those asking about an elevated pedestrian crossing, I just can't see that making sense. Much more expensive, less enticing to cross as it would probably require a series of ramps on either side, and there are plenty of at-grade crossings nearby so its not like its a special need here.