SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

Hey, that web cam is on top of my office building! 1927 S. Tryon.

I am interested to see how this project will turn out - my eyes are obviously on it every day since I work across the street. You can see the new road that extends from Doggett to Tremont to the right of the webcam view, but what you can't see is how much land is to the right of that road (facing Tryon). I really wonder what they are going to do with it. It's just a mound of dirt right now. I was thinking maybe it would be a pool, but who wants to look at a check cashing place, a closed down convenience store, and a Boost mobile store while they catch some rays?

I was really hoping for the building to extend to the street on the Tryon side. With 1927 S. Tryon on the other side of Doggett, that would have really turned it into a dense-ish looking block, depending on where you were looking from.

• 3 weeks later...

A6xkT4tCcAAfW9R.jpg

Its amazing to me that there are three projects under construction in South End that we have never seen renderings of. This is Park and Kingston Site from SouthEndCLT's twitter. I'm really anxious to see pictures of Colonial Reserve at South End 330 W Tremont and Park and Kingston.

I don't have any photos this morning but....

• Colonial Reserve is done with concrete work and has begun framing.
  • Fountains is nearing exterior completion (only siding and windows remain). The light rail lobby is now very clearly visible.
  • Elevator shafts have been built at the Silos site (but otherwise there is not much to see there)
  • 330W Tremont has completed (some of?) its concrete parking structure (currently the top of the structure is at grade on Tremont and one story above grade on Doggett).
  • I have not been close to Park and Kingston but I believe it is still just fresh dirt (not even plumbing yet)
  • Junction 15whatever is very nearly finished and aggressively renting units in order to beat the Southend rental rush.

Edited by kermit

When the Fountains site was being marketed for sale (post foreclosure), I thought it was an awful site and only benefited from the proximity to the light rail. After the addition of Triple C and some boutique furniture stores, I am beginning to really dig the vibe that little node will have, especially if they can pull in a funky NoDa type restaurant or two once the three projects are fully leased.

^ agreed. That little pocket of warehouses has tremendous potential. I suspect that the area's success will depend greatly on the reputation / buzz of the businesses since the area is essentially invisible from South, Tryon and even the LRT.

(I do really wish Triple C and Old Mecklenburg could swap space)

Southend Publix site has been announced.

http://www.bizjourna...-south-end.html

Interestingly Camden is discussed as building an apartment complex on 3.6 adjacent acres with 225 units. I would have assumed that apartments would be veritcally integrated with the store.

Edited by kermit

^ That is great, hope to hear more soon.

Some columns are poured for the Park & Kingston development. Since we don't have a rendering/siteplan, I was wondering if anybody can surmise from them what the parking layout is going to be and the resulting potential for street presence. It looks like a stairwell is being constructed at the corner next to the white house at Tryon/Park.

I'm anxious about this project given the prime location and street frontages, but what SOUNDED like podium parking in the written description. I know there were renderings for a proposed development there years ago, but I am assuming this is not the same plan.

The old brick car wash at the corner of Catherine and Tryon across from the Mosaic is up for rezoning to TOD next month. This is a nice infill spot ala the Nook going up in Plaza Midwood as opposed to the megablocks we've become accustomed to seeing pop up in Southend.

Google Maps of the parcel:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=catherine+st+and+s+tryon+st&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x88569f80189ce7c7:0x54f9be930a44d618,S+Tryon+St+%26+E+Catherine+St,+Charlotte,+NC+28203&gl=us&ei=NOmrUN-_O6X5ygGKvYDgDg&ved=0CC4Q8gEwAA

Rezoning Link:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2012_Petitions/Pages/2012-100.aspx