SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I think they're referring to this vacant building: http://goo.gl/maps/YzVri

This has long been a favorite little building, though it's been boarded up as long as I've been here. It's actually a big parcel (apprx 1.5acre), going all the way back to Winnifred and wrapping around that white law office next door.

Used to work for an office that looked into trying to lease/renovate half of it, but ultimately it wasn't in the cards. Sure would be a shame to see this one knocked down

^ I think they mean the building with the curved facade (probably used to be glass but is all boarded up) that is connected to the carwash, not the one with the curved roof which is the lighting store.

nvm toz beat me to it. I hope it gets saved too...it would be a really cool storefront. Given the size it probably needs to be divided and used as office space in back to ever have retail in the front though.

Edited by nonillogical

This used to be a custom car dealership (think Pimp My Ride style cars). I believe it closed when the site was sold (or under contract to be sold) to a condo developer in maybe 2005-2006. It would be nice if it was saved as it, as different scale buildings provide a much more intersting streescape.

I would think offices, or possibly even retail (most likely a restaurant) would work there.

While I do like the building and agree that different scale buildings make an interesting streetscape, I must say that I kind of want part of Southend to seem more urban with mid-rise buildings like in Gateway Village. It seems that wherever there is a mid-rise in Southend, the other side of the street is a parking lot or a smaller building.They all seem one-sided to me - South Blvd by the Arlington, Tryon by the Camden and Mosaic apartments, Church by 1225 South Church, and even Camden to an agree (but that's because of the light rail, so not complaining about that one). I just never seem to get that full-on "city" feel in Southend. And don't get me wrong - I love Southend, I live and work here.

For those of us who live 500 miles away its nice to get updates from above. Luckily ClearSky has a progress gallery of Colonial Reserve. Its amazing to me how MASSIVE this project is. http://www.clearskyi...97cc0#h4d0966cc

You can see the foot print of several of the South End apartment projects going on. It's amazing how much residential is going up there. That area around Colonial with the industrial buildings will be a great place to live come 2014. Might need to start planning for my brewery now!

Rumor has it Camden will be closing on and developing the West and Camden site.

Man I'm anxious about this one...anything less than including storefront retail on both streets will be a big fail for the site. It's probably the 2nd most obvious location for no-brainer new retail in Southend, after the Camden & Park lot next to Common Market. 

I went by the Park & Kingston site. Judging by the progress there, any hope I had for decent street presence or hiding of the podium parking structure is officially gone. I'm still glad to have a couple of apartment buildings of that scale in that area, but its so sad compared to what was originally proposed (I can't recall the name but there were signs with renderings on the site for years). 

Edited by nonillogical

Jesus, I need to ask Camden to borrow 10 dollars. They are going all Crescent circa 2005 on us.

I wonder if they will demo the not-so-old office building where Bang & Olufsen is, or if they will design around it. 

it says in the article that they purchased everything EXCEPT that building. That building will be safe :-). 9,000 sq feet of retail is nothing to sneeze at guys! Love it! I actually like the older building next to "The Kingston" i'd be nice if they could incorporate some of those store fronts.

Edited by Guest

Just FYI that is 14 units LARGER than Ashton... This is going to be a very large building. Could it be we will be seeing a new second tallest in southend?</p>

Edited by Guest

Here is my rough tabulation on new Southend units (feel free to provide corrections)

Fountains: 208 units

Silos: 280

Colonial: 353

Junction 1504: 280

Camden Southline: 266 units

Cottages on Euclid: 19 (townhouses, probably not rental)

330 W Tremont: 164

Camden-West: 324

Park and Kingston: 153

Faison (Summit and Church): 200

1225 Church: 200

Cambridge Project (Simpson lighting): 200 (per this post from June)

Total 2647 new units

Anyone know how many units are already in the Southend submarket?

A post in this thread back in June said 2,055 existing units, so we should more than double the Southend population in the next 18 months

Edited by kermit

Doing some math and making basic assumptions, this would need to be at least seven floors I think, so a true concrete core.  I'm assuming attached adjacent garage.  I guess in theory they could do 1 below-grade level and 1 above grade and then do 4-5 floors of wood framed above, like the new Gateway West Apartments by J&W that are under construction now.

I agree with RDF21, that this will almost certainly be the 2nd tallest (and 2nd highest rents) of anything in South End.  Glad to see that high-profile intersection is getting good density.  To be seen is what happens with the parking lot at Camden and Worthington, which got its UMUD zoining grandfathered in, allowind essentially unlimited height.  Having two large mid-rises along Camden built out increases the chances we get good height there in the future.

Also, the secondary announcement for the site at South/Remount across from Mac's is great news as well.  Based on units/acre, this is basically as dense as Colonial at South End, and should be 5-stories of wood frame wrapping a pre-cast deck as well.  Great scale, which is substantially denser than the JLB Partners project wrapping up just on the other side of the tracks.  There are going to be a lot of units in the Remount-New Bern area.

Doing some math and making basic assumptions, this would need to be at least seven floors I think, so a true concrete core.  I'm assuming attached adjacent garage.  I guess in theory they could do 1 below-grade level and 1 above grade and then do 4-5 floors of wood framed above, like the new Gateway West Apartments by J&W that are under construction now.

I agree with RDF21, that this will almost certainly be the 2nd tallest (and 2nd highest rents) of anything in South End.  Glad to see that high-profile intersection is getting good density.  To be seen is what happens with the parking lot at Camden and Worthington, which got its UMUD zoining grandfathered in, allowind essentially unlimited height.  Having two large mid-rises along Camden built out increases the chances we get good height there in the future.

Also, the secondary announcement for the site at South/Remount across from Mac's is great news as well.  Based on units/acre, this is basically as dense as Colonial at South End, and should be 5-stories of wood frame wrapping a pre-cast deck as well.  Great scale, which is substantially denser than the JLB Partners project wrapping up just on the other side of the tracks.  There are going to be a lot of units in the Remount-New Bern area.

I believe that will ultimately be the design center expansion. The "Design Center Tower" we've been hearing about for so long. I think that's the only thing that'll happen there. 

Wait... Camden Southline isn't the Publix Project???!!! This is something different?

Edited by Guest

It is the Publix project, but the initial reports were that the apartments were physically seperate from the grocery store.

Above Atlrvr says