SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

yikes, you could be onto something.

I don't know enough to say.

EDIT: I won't try to interpret atlrvr's comments but looking back at the CBJ article on the (non) Publix announcement they mention:

"Camden Property Trust, is planning an apartment community on 3.6 acres adjacent to the Publix site that it recently purchased for $5.25 million." 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2012/11/publix-planning-store-in-south-end.html

while the CBJ article today mentions that the Camden Southline project is: "The company [Camden] recently purchased 3.6 acres along South Boulevard for $5.25 million where it plans to develop a 266-unit apartment community called Camden Southline."

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2012/12/camden-buys-prime-south-end-site-for.html

So it sounds (to me) like Southline is part of the Publix development. But could there be something else at South and Remount?

Edited by kermit

Camden actually did have the 3.6 acre piece at South & Remount under contract at one point, but did not proceed. To the best of my knowledge, it is not currently under contract with any buyers. 

I think that is the best available parcel in ALL of Charlotte. If I had some money... I would develop there in a heart beat.

Is there another city with a comparable neighborhood to what Southend will look like in about 5 years?

What I'm saying is, does Houston have a Southend?  Or Dallas?  Or Atlanta?  Obviously not specifically called Southend, but just a similar neighborhood that has seen a boom from transit that is dense, oriented close to downtown possibly contains mill architecture.  Or will this be unique to Charlotte?

• Like 1

Is there another city with a comparable neighborhood to what Southend will look like in about 5 years?

What I'm saying is, does Houston have a Southend?  Or Dallas?  Or Atlanta?  Obviously not specifically called Southend, but just a similar neighborhood that has seen a boom from transit that is dense, oriented close to downtown possibly contains mill architecture.  Or will this be unique to Charlotte?

Dallas has an area known as Deep Ellum http://deepellumtexas.com/community/ which would be very comparable to the re-development of South End and has light-rail through it which terminates at the Texas State Fair Grounds.

Edited by RVA2CLT

What I'm saying is, does Houston have a Southend? Or Dallas? Or Atlanta? Obviously not specifically called Southend, but just a similar neighborhood that has seen a boom from transit that is dense, oriented close to downtown possibly contains mill architecture. Or will this be unique to Charlotte?

It would be great if SouthEnd over the years becomes more grid oriented and less linear. It's amazing what Lynx did for SouthEnd.

In the future, we probably could thank Lynx for being the catalyst that got 277 capped. Wonder how Gov. Patricia feels about state dollars and 277 cap making SouthEnd and uptown seamless. Regardless, all of these Projects makes SouthEnd the undisputed 3rd Urban core in CLT (southpark being the 2nd)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Dallas has an area known as Deep Ellum http://deepellumtexas.com/community/ which would be very comparable to the re-development of South End and has light-rail through it which terminates at the Texas State Fair Grounds.

From what I've heard from friends in Dallas, Deep Ellum's renaissance has came and went, and it has actually started to go down hill and become run down very quickly. Its now once again a place you don't want to go at night. 

Agreed Deep Ellum is a far cry from what happened in South End. Even when I left in 2010 it was still 'trying to happen' and the Green Line just opened though there right before the affects of the recession hit.

However, compared to the new constructions and the concrete sprawl that keeps ever reaching northward towards the Red River, Deep Ellum is as close as Dallas is going to ever get to having a 'South Endish' feeling area that includes Light Rail, TOD, Art, Music and Eats in a 'historical' urban area with original brick buildings.

I'll be the first to say that the quality of life in South End far exceeds that of Deep Ellum. However, it's interesting that even though Deep Ellum has the basic elements which are making South End such a huge success it lacked the community support and neighborhood envolvement-cohesiveness to really make it something,

^ That's a shame, it looks like it could be a really cool area.

Me and some Dallas friends used to exclusively go to Deep Ellum for parties. Last time I was there he was like "now way, we aren't going there, too sketchy." 

I agree that Deep Ellum feels a little more like Plaza Midwood, although more urban/dense.  And same would go in Charlotte with some people being unwilling to go to Midwood for the 'sketchiness', but that is more of the bikers and hipsters and punks and bohemians rather than roving gangs of rebels with machetes. 

Meanwhile, 4th Ward where I live, does get more roving gangs of teens doing damage, but also gets frequented by other gangs, like the light-blue-collared-button-down-shirt brigade going to Al Mikes from the banks, and the Segway tourist gangs, so it all evens out. 

I of course like the idea of a 277 cap, but I would be almost as happy if we simply saw pedestrian improvements to Church and College, and were able to develop the adjacent blocks right up to 277 with a retaining wall. The distance to cross would feel much less daunting and there is room for development such that you'd forget 277 was there most of the time. I also wonder if the College St. exit loop could even be adjusted a little to allow a small row of street-facing buildings there (kind of capping part of the exit loop, I guess).