SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

File under rumor:

I have heard that the vacant parcel at South and Remount is under contract (no details on the buyer) and the parcel on Remount between Youngblood and the LRT is nearing sale.

Colony's opening has been pushed from April to May (I don't think they are going to make May either)

Junction 15whatever appears to have had no trouble leasing units as they are finished.

I am more intrigued by the parcel accross Poindexter from Colonial Reserve at South End. That would be a great small infill project. To frame Poindexter with buildings even more so than it will be now. Heck Itd be a great place for some urban retail too.

^ I had thought that Pepsi had planned to use lot that for truck storage while their warehouse remained?

(However I was confused about why it was used for Colonial's construction staging)

Yea, thats exactly what I was thinking. I HATE That it is Pepsi's Truck Storage btw. Poindexter is becoming such an urban street.

I'm not holding my breath about Sedgefield Shopping Center being redeveloped or even renovated, but if it were to happen, it would be huge for that area. 

South & Remount was actually under contract to Camden at one point. They dropped this parcel, but continued forward and closed on the South & Iverson parcel. Given the land price expectations on this parcel, it will require mixed use to get anything done. 

http://files.charlottecentercity.org/2013-Charlotte-Center-City-Development-Report.pdf
Very last page there is a rendering of Faison's projected dubbed "Summit and Church" Actaully looks pretty great! Is that some retail I see?

This podium-style development will include five stories of studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments over two levels of parking. The project will also include key man office space and a coffee shop with sidewalk dining on the ground floor. A small dog park is planned off of Summit Avenue. 

Edited by Guest

That is amazing news. I was being way too pessimistic about this site. I've been screaming that Southend needs a coffee shop for a while, so I don't mind that being the only retail where I was expecting none. They are currently almost done with grading btw, although moving a little slow. 

And a dog park?? Awesome! I wonder exactly where... I'm hoping up the street a bit, rather than across from this development, since I think that site especially now has great development potential. Anyway it will be really close to the one in Frazier park, but will get a lot of use regardless. Now we REALLY need one in Dilworth :)

Edited by nonillogical

Planning docs are now available for Camden Southline:

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=12LDU&capID2=00000&capID3=00049

It doesn't look awful, but its really just more of the same for Southend (5 story stick built residential wrapping structured parking).

These plans show the grocery store appears to be a stand alone big box (but these plans point elsewhere for those details)

EDIT: a second look shows that the parking is not screened on the autobell side, I think this is going to look ugly from the south.

Edited by kermit

^ Camden Grandview is just 1 loop though, so 2 1-way crossings to watch out for. This is 3 bi-directional entrances/exits, with the middle one being 3 lanes. Considering it looks like there is an entrance on the other side of the Publix for it (and I'm thinking it may actually incorporate its own parking structure), it seems like extreme overkill. 

^ I just tried to download the pdf for you and was faced with this error:

An error has occurred. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I'll try to check again later

Edit: try going in through virtual Charlotte

EDIT 2: I uploaded the plans to dropbox, try this link (let me know if it does not work):
Edited by kermit

^^Nice, now if those lots on each corner of Bland and Tryon could get something developed we'd actually get a feel of neighborhood-cohesion with the part of South End on the west side of Tryon and maybe even start to feel a bit more urban through that part of the cooridor; hopefully begin traffic calming through there too.. (was that being too visionarily optimistic?)

• Like 1

Gateway Homes has a proposed 36 unit apartment project on Catherine Street between Tryon & Winnifred on a 0.34 acre parcel. Project will be 3 stories of apartments above 1 level of podium parking. 

Is this where the old car wash was?

Gateway Homes has a proposed 36 unit apartment project on Catherine Street between Tryon & Winnifred on a 0.34 acre parcel. Project will be 3 stories of apartments above 1 level of podium parking. 

Hmmm.  Gateway has done some truly non-pedestrian friendly designs recently in Elizabeth and Gateway Village.  Their Dilworth project on Euclid is ok, but that I'm sure has to do with the conditional rezoning and Historic District guidelines. 

I'm just hoping for a working access that connects to the sidewalk. 

I do agree that this helps bridge the South End together though which is sort of no-mans land of small industrial buildings now.