SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I'm sorry but I respectfully beg to differ. Ashton South End sits on a similar acreage and contains 310 units. Camden West Blvd will be oriented similarly, have some of the largest units in the market and be 325 units. Previous design spanned the same 3.5 acres and included 175 units and was 5 floors. All indications I've seen in press releases and hearsay from friends in real estate say 9-12 floors. Just my 2 cents.

The Observer was always wrong, with Kettler and Camden it was always slated to be a 4-5 story stick product (dont always believe what the media tells you). 9k sf of retail is staying.

9k sf of retail is staying.

That's the most important part in my book. Though a 10-story building would have been cool, the retail was what got me excited about this. I'm just hoping it's divided into small parcels and not 1 or 2 big ones so that some funky boutiques could be attracted.

• 3 weeks later...

Gateway Homes has a proposed 36 unit apartment project on Catherine Street between Tryon & Winnifred on a 0.34 acre parcel. Project will be 3 stories of apartments above 1 level of podium parking. 

The CBJ article on this project finally appeared. (Prodev nailed it).

Rents will be in the sub $900 range (seems very cheap for Southend these days)

The article also mentions that Gateway is proceeding with the rezoning necessary for their previously announced Tremont and Euclid project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/04/gateway-planning-36-unit-apartment.html?page=all

The 3+ acres at the corner of South & Remount is under contract for more apartments. This will also include ground floor retail. Camden had this parcel under contract at one point and dropped it partially b/c there is a deed restriction that they'll need to get removed that does not allow residential. Assuming the environmental issues can be resolved, they should be able to get the deed restriction removed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Latest word from my (unreliable) tenant contact at Sedgefiled shopping center is that the owner is currently in the planning stages of a full tear-down/rebuild. (Last time I spoke with him he indicated that the plan was to just redo the facade).

No details on design or timing. This is a very important parcel for the neighborhood, I really hope they manage to improve it.

Doesn't Marsh Properties own the shopping center and all of those rental properties in the vicinity?  A nice walkable retail center could make those residential properties very desirable if they were converted to denser townhomes.

The apartments behind the shopping center would more than likely be torn down if Marsh decided to cash in. The apartments are old.....from the 1950's I think? I used to live in them.The outlets in them have not even been upgraded so you need outlet converters. Heck, I ordered cable for my apartment and found out the apartment did not have a cable connection LOL! I could foresee in the future the shopping center and apartments all torn down and the road system redesigned to promote walking.....I doubt it would be happen, but a boy can dream can't he!?

The 3+ acres at the corner of South & Remount is under contract for more apartments. This will also include ground floor retail. Camden had this parcel under contract at one point and dropped it partially b/c there is a deed restriction that they'll need to get removed that does not allow residential. Assuming the environmental issues can be resolved, they should be able to get the deed restriction removed. 

ProDev, any idea who the developer is for this site?

ProDev, any idea who the developer is for this site?

Yes, and there's somewhat of a conflict of interest in saying. Sorry to be tight lipped on this one. I will say that it's a local group and not a traditional apartment developer, so I'm guessing if they move forward, it will be with a partner. 

Don't think this has been mentioned, but Woodfield is planning on purchasing the McLeod Center at the corner of Remount and LRT line and doing Phase 2 of the Silos project to stretch all the way to Remount.  I'm really excited by that as I like the scale of the Phase I under construction.  Would be nice if they do a retail shop or two fronting Remount, but I don't think they are planning to. 

Marsh Realty is seeking a TOD- M rezoning of about 2.5 acres on the north side of Euclid between Templeton and Lexington.   Judging by their other projects, I would assume this is going to be apartments.  Anybody have any insight?

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/planning/Rezoning/RezoningPetitions/2013Petitions/Pages/2013-055.aspx

I'm actually liking the way Park/Kingston is shaping up. The Park Rd frontage looks like its going to do a decent job of masking the podium parking, and there is a minor art deco-ish detail on the top that I think is kind of cool, plus the roof deck breaks things up a bit. The Kingston building is going up now, and looks like it takes up a bigger footprint. 

The Church/Summit building is picking up steam too, and is going to be much bigger than I initially thought. 

Gone are the days of lugging around a DLSR and lenses and walking around uptown for a couple hours, as I've grown lazy, but I figured out how to quickly and easily upload pics from my phone so I'll provide some updates whenever requested.  :)

unlike most urban multifamily projects Junction 1504 has a pool which can be seen by passerby's. The scene today (a very nice Sunday afternoon) featured: 

-- a couple in their early 50s

-- 8 guys in tank tops, each holding a can of bud light

-- 1 bikini clad girl trying her best to distance herself from the remainder of the crowd

It looks like their remaining 10 (or so) buildings should open up in about a month

The rail trail in front of Silos is still unpaved.

Exterior progress on Colonial appears to have stalled, probably just the weather.

As Mo's photos show Fountains should be opening up soon (less than a month?) with 330 W Tremont not far behind.

I wasn't able to get a decent pic, but while driving down South Blvd today i noticed the gray concrete of the parking deck at Colonial sticks up above the rest of the project.  It's pretty ugly, so I hope they at least paint it or put up some kind of roof "wall" to extend the height of the building.

There's heavy equipment on the Publix site (not sure if thats new), but also workers looking at drawings  and moving about the site.  Is this suppose to get moving or is it just some random site work to put up fencing or something like that?

There's heavy equipment on the Publix site (not sure if thats new), but also workers looking at drawings  and moving about the site.  Is this suppose to get moving or is it just some random site work to put up fencing or something like that?

Heavy equipment is new.  I haven't been down that way since the weekend but there was just a sign when I drove by.  I remember the CBJ article stated work would start in spring/summer of 2013 so this sounds about right.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811