SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

I live one block from the new colonial building and about a block from "the junk (1504)"... while there is a ton of building going on, I pass it multiple times a day so it's not as jarring as seeing the progress a week apart. Thanks for the pics!

I can't wait for Publix to break ground. DID SOMEBODY SAY AERIAL PHOTOS?! Lol, I can launch from my house for routine updates

• Like 2

There's heavy equipment on the Publix site (not sure if thats new), but also workers looking at drawings  and moving about the site.  Is this suppose to get moving or is it just some random site work to put up fencing or something like that?

Two big bulldozers were parked and four guys were walking the site when I drove by this afternoon. Looks to me like site work will begin shortly (I think they will need to remove a couple of concrete slabs before excavation work begins).

Two big bulldozers were parked and four guys were walking the site when I drove by this afternoon. Looks to me like site work will begin shortly (I think they will need to remove a couple of concrete slabs before excavation work begins).

I just noticed this yesterday. Can't wait... I live about 1000 feet from the site and can't wait. I really am nervous about all the new traffic though—I hope they put in dedicated left hand turn lanes.

Don't really understand where the hell that pool is... 

Same here.  I just walked by here last night and I don't see where that fits.  There is a smaller two story building next to the main.  Maybe the pool will be on top of there?  The shorter building was sort of in position where the pool was on the rendering. 

is that retail where the awnings are to the left of the main entrance? I didn't think retail was part of this project, but it would be nice. Probably just common space/leasing office/etc., though.

Its a community Internet Cafe and Coffee Bar I believe. I am sure it will be open to the public.

It looks like there will be a similar space on Kingston fronting the other building, so I wonder if that one is a leasing office, or another potential retail space (though I don't remember ever seeing the word "retail" associated with this project). At any rate I was just glad they found a way to effectively mask the podium parking with something at street-level.

The 3+ acres at the corner of South & Remount is under contract for more apartments. This will also include ground floor retail. Camden had this parcel under contract at one point and dropped it partially b/c there is a deed restriction that they'll need to get removed that does not allow residential. Assuming the environmental issues can be resolved, they should be able to get the deed restriction removed. 

It's bizjournal official - http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/05/morgan-group-looking-at-south-end-site.html

There are some tricks you can play with the code to increase the height by like a floor, but once you get that high you're really looking at doing steel/concrete construction instead of wood. And right now wood is far, far, far less expensive.

How tall is the apartment building they're building in Gateway? It looks to be more than 5 floors and it is wood framed.

It's 5 stories over 2 levels of concrete podium, so technically 7 stories, but still only 5 stories of wood framing. 

• Like 1

Went down the light rail path yesterday morning and noticed at the Publix site I can see all the way to Lowes now!  Previously there were shrubs blocking your line of sight.  But now those have been removed and lots of dirt was turned over so it definitely seems to be moving forward now.  Looking forward to this addition to the neighborhood. 

Hopefully we'll see renderings soon.

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

^ don't know. All I know is that someone has begun to assemble parcels and current tenants have been told that they must vacate. I only have information about parcels which front Iverson, I am guessing that the assembly extends out to South blvd (e.g. the doggy day care and other buildings of the same age and use) but I have no first hand info on that.

The pricing of the interior parcel sales was high enough that I think that it is unlikely we will see more garden apts on the site. I would think that proximity to Publix and Lowes indicates that retail is the most likely landuse.

Edited by kermit

Here is a rendering of Camden's project at the corner of Camden and West Blvd.  They essentially adapted the old Furman design (Furman's architecture firm is still the artchitect).

40752_primary.jpg

There will be a lot of retail, with all ground floor in the building shown in the foreground lined with retail, excep the far right (to the right of the brick clad stairwell) which will be the leasing office.

It's not 10 stories, but its attractive and good scale for that location.