SouthEnd Midrise Projects

atlrvr

While I wish it had retail, I'm pretty excited about the density (~125 units/acre), and the 5 stories is over 2 stories of parking (maybe 1 is below grade) but that is still 6-7 stories fronting Morehead which is pretty substantial.  Just hoping for something other than beige stucco.

I see a lacking track record for NRP Group with Urban Infill projects. Very Suburban. But there are a couple decent ones...

1352999422Cam_3_Nightlight-03-REV-Websit

my favorite, I'd kill for this to be built in Charlotte.

40844_138564962846368_120237554679109_17

picture-for-sol.jpg

verano006b-cropped-930x300.jpg

RE-N_and_N-akron-student-housing-rev1.jp

Luxx.jpg

I think we may have a shot at something like that second one, Cevallos Lofts in San Antonio. That location even incorporated some local artwork into the building site. Obviously whatever they do here will have to be pretty urban purely based on the number of units it expects. I've got high hopes for this.

I won't hold my breath or anything, but you never know.

This will be denser than any of those given it is stacked over parking, as opposed to wrapping a deck like these projects.  That said, I agree, that the second and last rendering is probably a pretty fair representation of what this ends up looking like.  Not bad, but I do think you could do something more "modern" like the first rendering at this site and get away with it.

Looks like the site at the corner of South & Iverson opposite Lowes is going to be...townhomes? Weird choice.  

http://ww.charmeck.org/planning/Rezoning/2013/063-077/2013-065%20site%20plan.pdf

I also noticed several small TOD rezoning applications in Southend; the small 1-story building next to Packard Place off South Tryon (this is not the apartment building proposed on Catherine st., its halfway between Catherine and Bland), the small building at the corner of Palmer & Church, and part of the 1-story spaces along South by Rennslaer, former trophy shop. 

Edited by nonillogical

Looks like the site at the corner of South & Iverson opposite Lowes is going to be...townhomes? Weird choice.  

http://ww.charmeck.org/planning/Rezoning/2013/063-077/2013-065%20site%20plan.pdf

83e9df4e-d774-41af-a45c-32092e17a109.jpg

I'm imagining it will look a lot like this, which is one of the townhome projects by the developer.

I'm confused however, because I swear I heard this would be a retail village... 

Edited by Guest

^ This (the brewery and location) excites me a bit more than another apartment complex.  The reason is the location of the Brewery is reinforcing the idea that South End is more (and should be more) than 1-2 strips of sleek apartment buildings.  

I guess it's giving it more of a nod of the ability to become a destination neighborhood for more than just overpriced apartments.

Another South End Brewery coming soon. I know Sycamore Brewery (http://sycamorebrew.com/) has been mentioned in the Off Topic beer thread, but they are planning to brew from the building located at 2161 Hawkins St between Spectrum and Ashton. 

Unreal how many breweries keep popping up around town. Soon Charlotte won't be "Crown Town" anymore, but it'll be "Brew Town". 

• Like 1

I think it is a national trend rather than something specific to Charlotte.   After the Financial Crisis, more people chose to do things they loved like brewing beer over working for a mega corporation, and more consumers opted for more interesting local brews over mega corporate beer. 

It does tend to add a cool factor to SouthEnd that it can attract that type of entrepreneur, and seems to fit with the fratty demographic of so many of the apartment buildings.

It's a national trend to be sure, but I think it's been especially pronounced in Charlotte. Between NC laws and local support, it's gotten a lot more momentum than some other cities. I've been brewery hoping in some much more established brewery cities up north and it's not nearly as robust or fun.

Quarters_at_Morehead*600.jpg

I have been speaking with the Real Estate guy from the CBJ, and he told me that the developer said verbatim, "I Don't do Retail." So it was never something that was going to happen. I actually have to say I like this project more than the Silos and Fountains of the world. Its VERY dense. And it will do a lot for the view from the highway into southend, and will make the area seem that much bigger.

SouthEnd picture update. Silos, Publix site, demo work at Camden & West.

Sorry they suck. From my phone, on the train...

Edit...lol and upside down I guess. Argh.

I feel like they really REALLY dropped the ball on Silos. Between the surface parking, and the finishes, I'm pissed. It looks okay along the tracks but on the rear of the property the execution is piss poor at best.